Singapore Expats Forum

ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 9:46 pm

I've learnt a few techniques over the years... maybe we can share some?

1. Never, ever, let logic get in the way of your argument. This is a western habit - thinking your argument has to be sound and logical for the other person to accept it. In Asia, not so. You can present and win the most illogical argument if you need to.

2. Be prepared to pay a little to win a lot. You don't need to win 100% to win in Asia. Give a bit to save face, and you can take the majority win.

3. Use physical intimidation. Puff out your chest, move into their space, raise your voice. Asians, generally, won't respond with violence to these tactics unlike some westerners.

4. Don't drag in family members, wives or highly emotional words unless you want to lose (the whole relationship in the real sense). Insulting someones mother will lose the argument. Some words - are highly offensive to some people - and they'd rather die than have you win after those words are said.

Others?
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 9:48 am

5. Black and white agreements are necessary. Sometimes, related with point 2, in certain countries, forgeries are acceptable with additional amounts :P
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1650
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Re: ITT - how to win an argument in some parts of Asia

Postby ScoobyDoes » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:03 am

offshoreoildude wrote:I've learnt a few techniques over the years... maybe we can share some?

1. Never, ever, let logic get in the way of your argument.



Married? Should come as second nature to any male.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Callput
Regular
Regular
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012

Postby Callput » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:40 am

Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"

Speaking about westerners, did you watch the video of the Barclays executive hurling vulgarities at the construction workers? Its only in Singapore, that he could do that. Any other country, they would have just buried him in the concrete, alive, lol.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 11:43 am

Callput wrote:Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"


And stab you sharp from the back. :P

That's their typical passive-aggressive for you.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 7:30 pm

I agree but I wouldn't attribute it to politeness.

Fear of confrontation, fear of loosing face by coming out wrong in the dispute, fear of having to admit they are wrong, are just some of the reasons.

6. The F-word carries strange weight here. You could be reasonably POed and in the right at, say, a taxi driver for not taking the route you requested, for not helping with the luggage, or any number of reasons and they may argue, but know they are wrong and may avoid accountability to that point with all kinds of out there excuses, most with that trademark grammatically incorrect sentence starting with "Because.... "

However, you use the f-word in any of it's many innocuous vernacular varieties, and you will get into a whole 'nuther level of argument.

7. Flipping the bird can get you in legal trouble. (I think it's referred to as a "Vulgar Gesture", another classic one like "Outrage of Modesty" - the latter I still say would make a great band name)

It's one reason why I don't drive here, too many legitimate opportunities to use it.

Callput wrote:Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 8:59 pm

Brah wrote: "Outrage of Modesty" - the latter I still say would make a great band name)


Hahaha! Brilliant :cool:

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby sensei_ » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:48 pm

Callput wrote:Speaking about westerners, did you watch the video of the Barclays executive hurling vulgarities at the construction workers? Its only in Singapore, that he could do that. Any other country, they would have just buried him in the concrete, alive, lol.


Should have buried him. im sure the gov't would have closed one eye.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 7:46 am

Too high in the food chain for such banal charge?

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:04 am

the lynx wrote:
Callput wrote:Its hard to get into an argument with Asians. They are just too polite, that even if they disagree, they wont tell it on your face, like westerners do. They just nod back at you with a smile and say "ya,ya"


And stab you sharp from the back. :P

That's their typical passive-aggressive for you.


Sometimes, they can be pretty destructive (like, bring their own "pack") :-|
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 11:30 am

Or if it's an all-girl band, "Modesty Outrage", a contemporary of Pussy Riot.

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote: "Outrage of Modesty" - the latter I still say would make a great band name)


Hahaha! Brilliant :cool:

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 12:54 pm

OK, since this thread is already derailed, how about some other very Singaporean offences that would make a good band names:
    Mischief

    Unlawful Assembly

Hmm. Methinks I'd better stop there. :twisted:
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 5:58 pm

Ok, this just became un-funny.

Two guys were either stupid enough to get what they deserve, or are being set up like others have.

If they did what they say they did, they should get whacked just out of stupidity, and again for the actual crime.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/ ... 92/1/.html

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 6:12 pm

If I were either of the two, I'd demand lie detector tests, if for no other reason that if they are theoretically telling the truth via the tests, it will put the onus on the women. It's been known here for the women to do jail time when found out.

Of course, if their are guilty, they better just hope for Prada or Gucci bags in payment settled out of court.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 9:33 pm

Brah wrote:Or if it's an all-girl band, "Modesty Outrage", a contemporary of Pussy Riot.

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote: "Outrage of Modesty" - the latter I still say would make a great band name)


Hahaha! Brilliant :cool:


Thanks for the idea guys. When I get (enough) girls, I will use that name for some laughs.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests