Singapore Expats

How many warning letters for speeding before a fine?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 9:16 am

x9200 wrote:This is (among some other things) what I like in the local police. They do not treat you as a source for additional taxes (not to mentioned the main source of income in some neighboring countries) and do not try to milk you with any given opportunity.
Yeah, because LTA has already squeezed your balls so hard, if they squeeze anymore we might just have a 'Singapore Spring'.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:04 am

zzm9980 wrote:Yeah, because LTA has already squeezed your balls so hard, if they squeeze anymore we might just have a 'Singapore Spring'.
no point. singaporeans have no access to any sort of weapons for an uprising. besides the little kitchen knifes and the occasional machette.

unlike the other parts of the world, where there is the access to weapons for an uprising, singapore just doesnt have the same level of access.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:08 am

If they did not you would spent everyday 6h in the traffic jams instead of 2h and there would be a Singapore Spring spring about bad foreigners seizing also the road space.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 10:41 am

sensei_ wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Yeah, because LTA has already squeezed your balls so hard, if they squeeze anymore we might just have a 'Singapore Spring'.
no point. singaporeans have no access to any sort of weapons for an uprising. besides the little kitchen knifes and the occasional machette.

unlike the other parts of the world, where there is the access to weapons for an uprising, singapore just doesnt have the same level of access.
The only way an uprising could be done here is via a large revolt of the people with the SAF refusing to fire on them. The Gurkhas would still be a problem.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 3:55 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
sensei_ wrote:no point. singaporeans have no access to any sort of weapons for an uprising. besides the little kitchen knifes and the occasional machette.

The only way an uprising could be done here is via a large revolt of the people with the SAF refusing to fire on them. The Gurkhas would still be a problem.
umm. if everyone felt so badly against the gov't im sure the gurkhas would be wiped out afterall, what do you need. a view of their residence and good aim of your apache helicopter with a full round of machine gun ;)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 4:00 pm

sensei_ wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
sensei_ wrote:no point. singaporeans have no access to any sort of weapons for an uprising. besides the little kitchen knifes and the occasional machette.

umm. if everyone felt so badly against the gov't im sure the gurkhas would be wiped out afterall, what do you need. a view of their residence and good aim of your apache helicopter with a full round of machine gun ;)
I'm out of this thread. Way to close to sedition for me.
Now I'm called PNGMK

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 4:29 pm

The only way Singaporeans would revolt is re-sharing and liking a Facebook post. No way they would do it in real life because it'll be troublesome. "Walao e. Why march in the streets meh? Just stay home lah."
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 4:45 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
sensei_ wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: The only way an uprising could be done here is via a large revolt of the people with the SAF refusing to fire on them. The Gurkhas would still be a problem.
I'm out of this thread. Way to close to sedition for me.
Disclaimer: I was joking in my original post about the Singapore Spring. Not about LTA squeezing drivers by the balls.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 5:18 pm

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to get back to the topic at hand - moderator

And, as a after-though, I think that's the least antagonistic post OSOD has made since he joined the forum! :lol: :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:46 pm

Well look what I get for talking shit here... I just got a letter for speeding in the KPE. 21-30km/hour over the 70km limit. Apparently that's the threshhold.

Anyway, question: It is 6 demerit points, and they will let me immediately "compound" it for $150. Does that mean the points go away? Is this an optional thing, take the points or pay the fine? Or am I getting the points no matter what and still have to pay the fine?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:52 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Well look what I get for talking shit here... I just got a letter for speeding in the KPE. 21-30km/hour over the 70km limit. Apparently that's the threshhold.

Anyway, question: It is 6 demerit points, and they will let me immediately "compound" it for $150. Does that mean the points go away? Is this an optional thing, take the points or pay the fine? Or am I getting the points no matter what and still have to pay the fine?
Are you being deliberately obtuse ('blur')? Of course the demerit points apply - regardless of whether you accepting compounding or not. All compounding is - is a shortening of the entire legal process to save court time and costs (there's a legal word for it but can't remember). Accepting a compounding is saying "I'm guilty - I accept the fine of $150 and 6 points and will not contest or appeal this in court".
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:58 pm

offshoreoildude wrote: All compounding is - is a shortening of the entire legal process to save court time and costs (there's a legal word for it but can't remember).
Plea bargain.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 14 Dec 2012 8:14 am

JR8 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote: All compounding is - is a shortening of the entire legal process to save court time and costs (there's a legal word for it but can't remember).
Plea bargain.
No, that's not it. It's a word that means to offset .... 'expiated' I believe is it.
Now I'm called PNGMK

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 14 Dec 2012 8:43 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Well look what I get for talking shit here... I just got a letter for speeding in the KPE. 21-30km/hour over the 70km limit. Apparently that's the threshhold.

Are you being deliberately obtuse ('blur')? Of course the demerit points apply - regardless of whether you accepting compounding or not. All compounding is - is a shortening of the entire legal process to save court time and costs (there's a legal word for it but can't remember). Accepting a compounding is saying "I'm guilty - I accept the fine of $150 and 6 points and will not contest or appeal this in court".
Are you deliberately being a douche bag?

No, I'm not being deliberately blur because the process in the US is as I described: Pay more now/upfront and you get 90 day probation and everything goes away. Wait to pay and take your chances in court, with the default penalty being X Points and X dollar fine.

edit: See, Jr8 obviously thought the same thing, since that would essentially be a plea bargain. Plea Bargain to pay more now for less points.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 14 Dec 2012 9:25 am

zzm9980 wrote:No, I'm not being deliberately blur because the process in the US is as I described: Pay more now/upfront and you get 90 day probation and everything goes away. Wait to pay and take your chances in court, with the default penalty being X Points and X dollar fine.
I've never seen this is the multiple states where I have been gifted with a traffic ticket. There are some states that offer a 'driver education' program, usually a weekend, but I have never seen a ticket penalty (points) forgiven just because you pay early. It's on your record.