Singapore Expats Forum

How many warning letters for speeding before a fine?

Discuss anything relating to automotive here, from car leasing to buying a vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Image
AVIS Car Rental
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

How many warning letters for speeding before a fine?

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 10 Nov 2012 9:37 pm

I've received about 3 "warning - you were photographed on the PIE speeding at 96 in a 80 zone" for my car in the 6 years I have had it. My DW got the latest one - while speeding to church! I'm just curious if anyone knows when they turn into fines.

(Note - the Kallang tunnel camera fine straight away it seems).
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: How many warning letters for speeding before a fine?

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 10 Nov 2012 9:59 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:(Note - the Kallang tunnel camera fine straight away it seems).


How fast do you need to go? I take KPE every work day between ECP and PIE (although I may stop now that ECP ERP is up to $5...) and I've never gotten one. I'd say I average between 80-100 all the time in there.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Re: How many warning letters for speeding before a fine?

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 10 Nov 2012 10:14 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:(Note - the Kallang tunnel camera fine straight away it seems).


How fast do you need to go? I take KPE every work day between ECP and PIE (although I may stop now that ECP ERP is up to $5...) and I've never gotten one. I'd say I average between 80-100 all the time in there.


It's a 70kmh limit! Maybe they removed the cameras since I got my fine two years ago.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: How many warning letters for speeding before a fine?

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 4:33 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:(Note - the Kallang tunnel camera fine straight away it seems).


How fast do you need to go? I take KPE every work day between ECP and PIE (although I may stop now that ECP ERP is up to $5...) and I've never gotten one. I'd say I average between 80-100 all the time in there.


It's a 70kmh limit! Maybe they removed the cameras since I got my fine two years ago.


Must have, I'm consistently over 80 in there. And I get passed quite often too.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 8:28 pm

I wandered myself how many times. My wife got two such warning within 1 week and both for the same place (Grange Rd) and the notes was kind of funny pointing to the offense location like they wanted to make her realize where exactly was this policeman hiding with the camera. I don't remember the wording but it was something like "next to the overhead bridge" in the first notice and "next to the overhead bridge, second bush from the left" in the second one. Only after this she managed to spot the camera. She was ~15km/h over the limit.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 9:22 pm

x9200 wrote:I wandered myself how many times. My wife got two such warning within 1 week and both for the same place (Grange Rd) and the notes was kind of funny pointing to the offense location like they wanted to make her realize where exactly was this policeman hiding with the camera. I don't remember the wording but it was something like "next to the overhead bridge" in the first notice and "next to the overhead bridge, second bush from the left" in the second one. Only after this she managed to spot the camera. She was ~15km/h over the limit.


The only time I've been fined for speeding I think it was recorded at 21 kmh over and reduced to a 19kmh over offence. If she'd been 21 kmh I imagine she'd have been fined. In Australia it's a 6 kmh tolerance in my state.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 9:37 pm

I might add that the KPE speed camera were apparently part of the Australian supplied contract (I worked on the KPE for STE - on the overall software side). The cameras were set to Australian speed tolerance standards and there was an article in the ST not longer after the KPE opened about how many people were being caught - quite a few - I wonder if the cameras were turned off after they might have caught an MP or someone high up?
Now I'm called PNGMK

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby sensei_ » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:23 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:In Australia it's a 6 kmh tolerance in my state.


its more like 2kmh. 62 in a 60 zone is enough to get you a A$75 fine. this is regardless of the speed limit. so in a 100 zone, you still get 2kmh leeway.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:28 pm

sensei_ wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:In Australia it's a 6 kmh tolerance in my state.


its more like 2kmh. 62 in a 60 zone is enough to get you a A$75 fine. this is regardless of the speed limit. so in a 100 zone, you still get 2kmh leeway.


Ouch. It's gotten worse since I left then.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:15 am

Based on an 'insider' knowledge, the tolerance here is between 15 to 20km/h. Anything more, you're burned!

Note: It varies depending on roads. For PIE it is 20km/h. For city area, it can be as low as 10km/h. That's all I know.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 9:56 am

the lynx wrote:Based on an 'insider' knowledge, the tolerance here is between 15 to 20km/h. Anything more, you're burned!

Note: It varies depending on roads. For PIE it is 20km/h. For city area, it can be as low as 10km/h. That's all I know.


Thanks Lynx. That tallies with my experience. However, to ask the question again - does the SPF keep track of how many warnings go out? I notice their letter claim they do but how many warnings in what period are acceptable?
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:09 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
the lynx wrote:Based on an 'insider' knowledge, the tolerance here is between 15 to 20km/h. Anything more, you're burned!

Note: It varies depending on roads. For PIE it is 20km/h. For city area, it can be as low as 10km/h. That's all I know.


Thanks Lynx. That tallies with my experience. However, to ask the question again - does the SPF keep track of how many warnings go out? I notice their letter claim they do but how many warnings in what period are acceptable?


No idea. There is no black and white about it.

One thing I know for sure is the following:

1. If you're caught speeding and JUMPING the red light, you will be fined for sure.

2. If you're caught speeding by the cameras along highways and main roads, the leeway is applied and it is either you get warnings or none.

3. If you're caught speeding by hand-held device on TP on ambush, or got stopped by TP, good luck.

If I were you, I will try to stay low at that stretch of road.

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby sensei_ » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:19 pm

just be grateful that the muppets in the traffic police arent fining you for every stupid little thing.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34262
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:26 pm

sensei_ wrote:just be grateful that the muppets in the traffic police arent fining you for every stupid little thing.


They'd end up fining each other as well then. There would have to be at least 2 TP's for every three motorists if they did that! :lol:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 13 Nov 2012 7:41 am

sensei_ wrote:just be grateful that the muppets in the traffic police arent fining you for every stupid little thing.

I am actually very grateful. This is (among some other things) what I like in the local police. They do not treat you as a source for additional taxes (not to mentioned the main source of income in some neighboring countries) and do not try to milk you with any given opportunity.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Cars & Motorcycles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests