Singapore Expats

Employment Pass Holder Starting Business - Advice sought!

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 4:10 pm

Employment Pass Holder Starting Business - Advice sought!

Post by Jagox » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 4:21 pm

Hi all,

I moved to Singapore from Europe 3 months ago on an employment pass. However, things at the company I am working at do not look so good so I have made the decision to start my own company with a Singaporean citizen (also in my field). From the research I have done there are two ways to go about it:

i) Register a company with my Singaporean partner and apply for an employment pass under that company as a Director. Paid up capital will be around 50,000 SGD. Company is in the financial services sector.

ii) Apply for an entrepeneur pass (submit business plan etc.)

I am young (under 30) and have good university degrees from foreign schools. Option i is preferable to me because it takes less time (only 3 days to register company and 2 weeks to get employment pass), however, will MOM allow a new company to issue an employment pass when it is so young? Is there some requirement that a company be at least 6 months old to issue an employment pass?

I have already checked I can register a company with my employment pass (source: Company that specializes in registering pte ltds)

Desperately need some advice guys. I don't want to ruin my chances, and am concerned that MOM will not look well upon my leaving my current EP after only 3 months.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 7:51 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by AnthonyC » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 1:47 pm

Hi there,

The trouble is with an EP, is that it currently allows you to be a director in a company, but not work in the company you own. Being a director is fine - you apply to MOM under the company.

However, technically you are not suppose to be a shareholder in that company. People we know then make another company or friend / relative their shareholder.

EP will be easier to obtain than the entrepass. And easier to renew.

Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 3:51 pm
Location: Singapore

Our answer to your question

Post by Servolve » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 3:57 pm

Last edited by Servolve on Thu, 08 Nov 2012 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 9:02 pm
Location: 28 Maxwell Road, #03-05 Red Dot Traffic Building,Singapore

Employment Pass for your new Singapore company

Post by togeorgemathew » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 4:09 pm


Your switching from the EP after three months is not a negative. It is an eventuality that happens quite a bit.

New companies can apply for an Employment Pass - the two factors of sufficient paid up capital ($50,000) and university degree work in your favor.
With a good business plan written up, a rental contract (preferrable) and an appeal (most likely) you should have your pass.

The Entrepass framework places harder demands to reach the same outcome.


Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests