Singapore Expats Forum

foreign manpower tightening

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 4:00 pm

its the same group of people doing the hate campaign. Most of the comments on TRE are on those yahoo posts as well. they don't even have the initiative to change the words...copy paste. unfortunately for the locals, unlike the PRC, Indonesians, Malaysians who arent vocal about the hate campaign, the filipinos are sensitive to oppression due to our history hence,expect the long rebuttals in the yahoo posts.

Plus I have a feeling they secretly hate us for our singing voice. :wink:

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2825
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 4:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Raj, you would be surprised to know the number of highly educated people who comment there. High IQ, but minimum EQ.


the writing style on that site seems to suggest the average educational level of the posters is below high school.
Plus the capitalization and the Singlish thrown in and you start to wonder.. low IQ and EQ if you ask me. :?
Last edited by rajagainstthemachine on Tue, 19 Mar 2013 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 7:42 pm

It's dated Saturday but I only saw this now: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/view-hiccups-b ... 07737.html

More of the same from the looks of it.

"Of late, however, the level of tolerance for foreigners has evidently declined. Tempers have grown shorter, at times provoked by some hot-headed foreigners."

They don't elaborate on the last part, I guess we have the taxi beating and Facebook poster as assumptions.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 8:35 pm

Brah wrote:It's dated Saturday but I only saw this now: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/view-hiccups-b ... 07737.html

More of the same from the looks of it.

"Of late, however, the level of tolerance for foreigners has evidently declined. Tempers have grown shorter, at times provoked by some hot-headed foreigners."

They don't elaborate on the last part, I guess we have the taxi beating and Facebook poster as assumptions.



Terribly written, doesn't know how to write in paragraphs. Anyone know what 'the off-springs of people' means?

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 18 Mar 2013 11:06 pm

The thing that's both humorous and depressing to me (in more or less equal measure) about these various articles are the comments that start with something like "How dare they call us xenophobic, we are not!" And then continue with a vacuous xenophobic diatribe. I guess they just don't realise they are being ironic - with 'hilarious' consequences. :roll: :lol:
Be careful what you wish for

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 9:50 am

"Mr Flores told Singapore Business Review that Jollibee Singapore has a total of 62 staff, of which 79% are locals - 46 Singapore nationals and 3 permanent residents. "-http://sbr.com.sg/retail/exclusive/jollibee-refutes-discrimination-hiring-claims-majority-staff-are-singapore-citizens


well im sure they won't believe it and prefer to close their eyes to the facts. even in TRE they misinformed again saying there 49 locals and PR and 13 foreigners adding that Jollibee singapore did not say the exact number of Singaporeans hired. Clearly because they got their information from 2nd hand sources, they again jumped into conclusions because it was not stated in the article of their source. fail. :roll: http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/03/16/jollibee-79-of-workers-are-sporeans-and-prs/

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 9:53 am

Mi Amigo wrote:The thing that's both humorous and depressing to me (in more or less equal measure) about these various articles are the comments that start with something like "How dare they call us xenophobic, we are not!" And then continue with a vacuous xenophobic diatribe. I guess they just don't realise they are being ironic - with 'hilarious' consequences. :roll: :lol:


Like I've said before, they're irony impaired.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 9:59 am

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-based-banks-under-pressure-hire-more-locals-070152127--sector.html;_ylt=AlZra05QeDoDuLe8wYh_yDX9Vsd_;_ylu=X3oDMTU3NGgxdnFxBGNjb2RlA2N0LmMEbWl0A01vc3QgcG9wdWxhciBtaXhlZCBsaXN0IEZQBHBrZwM1YTZjYTRmZi0wNTc4LTM5ZDUtODI5Ni1hMTdkOWQ2OTkzYmYEcG9zAzMyBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJMaXN0TWl4ZWRNb3N0UG9wdWxhckNBVGVtcAR2ZXIDZTA0NzE3ZTEtOGY5OS0xMWUyLWJmYmYtOTNjMzlhMjMxMjlk;_ylg=X3oDMTBhMnJuamU1BGxhbmcDZW4tU0c-;_ylv=3
Singapore based banks under pressure to hire more locals
Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan Jin told parliament last
week that he and Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam,
who is also the finance minister, had met senior members of the
financial industry urging them to develop a local talent
pipeline.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 10:55 am

morenangpinay wrote:http://sg.news.yahoo.com/singapore-based-banks-under-pressure-hire-more-locals-070152127--sector.html;_ylt=AlZra05QeDoDuLe8wYh_yDX9Vsd_;_ylu=X3oDMTU3NGgxdnFxBGNjb2RlA2N0LmMEbWl0A01vc3QgcG9wdWxhciBtaXhlZCBsaXN0IEZQBHBrZwM1YTZjYTRmZi0wNTc4LTM5ZDUtODI5Ni1hMTdkOWQ2OTkzYmYEcG9zAzMyBHNlYwNNZWRpYUJMaXN0TWl4ZWRNb3N0UG9wdWxhckNBVGVtcAR2ZXIDZTA0NzE3ZTEtOGY5OS0xMWUyLWJmYmYtOTNjMzlhMjMxMjlk;_ylg=X3oDMTBhMnJuamU1BGxhbmcDZW4tU0c-;_ylv=3
Singapore based banks under pressure to hire more locals
Acting Manpower Minister Tan Chuan Jin told parliament last
week that he and Deputy Prime Minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam,
who is also the finance minister, had met senior members of the
financial industry urging them to develop a local talent
pipeline.


The weirdest thing about that is the banks DO promote locals, as much as possible. It is so exasperating that the government is not having a honest discourse with people on this. From what I've heard, the worst offenders for hiring "cheaper" foreigners are local SMEs. Not the MNCs and foreign banks.

However, many of the banks use Sing as regional hub. So they also hire Thais, Indonesians etc to cover different markets. They will just relocate people to those offices rather than basing them in Sing. And they will relocate senior jobs that Singaporeans can't do to HK. And Singaporeans will lose out on collecting rent from those people, having them spend money here, etc etc.

This is getting absurd. :???:

iloverice
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri, 30 Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby iloverice » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 1:05 pm

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote:It's dated Saturday but I only saw this now: http://sg.news.yahoo.com/view-hiccups-b ... 07737.html

More of the same from the looks of it.

"Of late, however, the level of tolerance for foreigners has evidently declined. Tempers have grown shorter, at times provoked by some hot-headed foreigners."

They don't elaborate on the last part, I guess we have the taxi beating and Facebook poster as assumptions.



Terribly written, doesn't know how to write in paragraphs. Anyone know what 'the off-springs of people' means?


If I'm not mistaken, the off-springs of people refer to the 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants in Singapore, the children/grandchildren of the 1st immigrants.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 2:38 pm

I believe he was referring the to poor grammar, not the definition. No 's' is needed on off-spring additionally, neither is the hyphen necessary. Offspring is one of those words that are both singular and plural (like deer) :wink:

iloverice
Regular
Regular
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri, 30 Mar 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby iloverice » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 3:04 pm

hehehe, my mistake.... like you all been observed, no need grammar lah.. especially when commenting something that one hate so much.. and they claimed they speak British English only (they always told me this on every occasion, to remind me of my poor English - funny accent English) . :D Strangely, I don't get the same scolding from the native speaker. sigh

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 3:51 pm

iloverice wrote:hehehe, my mistake.... like you all been observed, no need grammar lah.. especially when commenting something that one hate so much.. and they claimed they speak British English only (they always told me this on every occasion, to remind me of my poor English - funny accent English) . :D Strangely, I don't get the same scolding from the native speaker. sigh


As a speaker of funny accent English nothing to worry about.

Just spoke to a guy from NTU about a job he needs doing and he wanted to know if we were a Singapore Company once I started talking :D

Reckoned something was up with his phone so best to communicate via e-mail.... :o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 4:30 pm

iloverice wrote:Strangely, I don't get the same scolding from the native speaker. sigh


Have you ever claimed that you're a "native English speaker" or that you speak perfect English?

I reckon no.

:wink:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 19 Mar 2013 5:30 pm

imho should have just written children. do people in real life actually say offspring.

and iloverice you should tell them next time that accent is different from grammar. a different accent doesn't necessarily mean bad grammar aiyoo.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest