Singapore Expats Forum

foreign manpower tightening

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

foreign manpower tightening

Postby movingtospore » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 3:30 pm

Interesting article Monday on manpower tightening on Asia One, that actually dared to be pretty critical of the gahmen. Would post the link but that seems to cause problems?

This place is cracking.

It's the comments that are really, um, interesting. Such complete and utter ignorance of the big wide world. I wonder about the future here...the attitude seems to be "just piss off MNCs, if you don't like it here." Ok then...good luck SP...be careful what you wish for.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 3:41 pm

They lodged a complaint against this site on grounds of copyright infringement (being familiar with copyrights, I think it's b******).

Anyway, keywords please? So we can search for said article. Does it start with "Has Singapore Gone Too Far"? Because that's what I found.

EDIT: Just finished reading the piece. Much talk about competitiveness, quality of doing business in Singapore, blah, blah, blah. But I think the elephant in the room is that they can get cheap, quality labor from the region to work in high-quality environment in Singapore. If Singapore raises the standard and people get high salaries, I don't know if MNCs will still see Singapore that a viable option for setting up shop (re: we get professionals for fraction of the price we'll get them in first-world countries!).

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2230
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 4:31 pm

Its gonna be an interesting couple of years thats for sure.

Like you say, folk should be careful what they wish for.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 6:17 pm

Google "Has Singapore gone too far in tightening tap on foreign manpower"

Interesting read, typical comments :P
nutnut

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34782
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 9:00 pm

Same article the Nak referred to.

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 9:31 pm

yes, he edited after I posted!
nutnut

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 9:46 pm

nutnut wrote:Google "Has Singapore gone too far in tightening tap on foreign manpower"

Interesting read, typical comments :P


That's the one.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 12:49 pm

the last 1/4 of the piece goes against the "gone too far" stand though...

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 2:48 pm

From asia-one?

And if MNCs leave Singapore or move their operations elsewhere, the consequences will not be confined to their direct employees. MNCs employ less than a third of Singapore's workforce.


What if MNCs drain SCs? :P

"I don't think we necessarily need to be overly concerned," says Credit Suisse's Mr Wan. "Singapore is still pretty attractive as a hub."


Hmmm . . .
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 2:58 pm

v4jr4 wrote:From asia-one?

And if MNCs leave Singapore or move their operations elsewhere, the consequences will not be confined to their direct employees. MNCs employ less than a third of Singapore's workforce.


What if MNCs drain SCs? :P


If MNCs did that, I think they'll just hire locally (re: Malaysians) or from other countries aside from Singapore which will cost less. If they'll take the Singaporeans as well, it'll have to be a pretty sweet deal for the Singaporeans to bite and I have my doubts they will--MNCs offering attractive expat packages or SCs taking what will be offered.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 3:07 pm

Yes, but by chopping off the non-SCs, soon MNCs will have two options left: leave, or stay and drain SCs. If they choose to leave:

"Singapore is still pretty attractive as a hub."


What Singapore can do to stay attractive, he says, is to "keep the tax rates low, have good infrastructure, and educate people and equip them with the right skills to stay competitive".


Can Hong-Kong or Malaysia do that?
"Budget Expat"

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 4:40 pm

I think they already are, as is the Philippines. Entirely anecdotal but I was at a luncheon today and chatted with a guy who owns a manufacturing biz here. He's putting steps in place to move ops out of sp next year. Sad thing is he does employ a number of skilled locals it's a high tech sort of thing.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 4:44 pm

nakatago wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:From asia-one?

And if MNCs leave Singapore or move their operations elsewhere, the consequences will not be confined to their direct employees. MNCs employ less than a third of Singapore's workforce.


What if MNCs drain SCs? :P


If MNCs did that, I think they'll just hire locally (re: Malaysians) or from other countries aside from Singapore which will cost less. If they'll take the Singaporeans as well, it'll have to be a pretty sweet deal for the Singaporeans to bite and I have my doubts they will--MNCs offering attractive expat packages or SCs taking what will be offered.


A third of the work force is an awful lot. And these tend to be the better paying jobs for locals I think. If the mncs start leaving this place is ;)$&ed.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10831
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 5:02 pm

A lot of the rest of the work force supplies goods and services to the MNC's. If they can't get the labor they need at a competitive rate, they cannot supply the MNC"s, and in they MNC's cannot get what they want they will go elsewhere.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 5:08 pm

movingtospore wrote:I think they already are, as is the Philippines. Entirely anecdotal but I was at a luncheon today and chatted with a guy who owns a manufacturing biz here. He's putting steps in place to move ops out of sp next year. Sad thing is he does employ a number of skilled locals it's a high tech sort of thing.


I'm not too sure about the tax rate in Philippines, but from what I heard, the infrastructure is not as good as Singapore.
"Budget Expat"


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest