Singapore Expats Forum

Moving to Saudi Arabia

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
gabrielletan

Moving to Saudi Arabia

Postby gabrielletan » Sun, 04 Nov 2012 11:59 pm

Hi I'm a Singaporean looking to move to Saudi Arabia. Just wondering if anyone here is willing to share your working/life experience in Riyadh?

thanks in advance!

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular

Postby Darthcoder » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 12:11 am

In one word, HELL.
No ladies (All are covered head to toe in burqa). No alcohol. Shops and offices close during prayer timings. No freedom, hella hot, too many restrictions (cant take pictures anywhere you want etc). But theres chop chop square for your entertainment (public beheadings every wednesday here) and you can always escape to bahrain for the "usual" sinful activities not available in Riyadh.
I am back I am back I am back I am back You know I am back. Everybody stand up!

gabrielletan

Postby gabrielletan » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 12:14 am

that... does not sound good.

I'm moving there to join my husband and wondering if there's any work that ladies can do...

Do you happen to still have friends there?

danielczh
Regular
Regular

Postby danielczh » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 2:47 pm

This may be of help:
http://www.saudilegal.com/saudilaw/17_law.html

Women may be employed, but work permits for non-Saudi women tend to be restricted to the health, education and air transport sectors. There are no restrictions on the employment of Saudi women, provided that the appropriate working environment is provided.

There also additional working restrictions for foreigners that you may want to check beforehand.

Oh, and I do believe that women are not allowed to drive in KSA.
Last edited by danielczh on Mon, 05 Nov 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gabrielletan

Postby gabrielletan » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 2:50 pm

Thanks Daniel! If employment is so bad, I was wondering what they would feel towards a non-saudi female running a small import/export biz?
or maybe just a blogshop :P

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 3:37 pm

Last edited by nakatago on Mon, 05 Nov 2012 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gabrielletan

Postby gabrielletan » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 3:41 pm

thanks for the wiki but things are not what u see on wiki.

Looking to see if there's anyone out here willing to share personal experience in Saudi or have friends who are still there!

danielczh
Regular
Regular

Postby danielczh » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 9:50 am

kamran.khan

Postby kamran.khan » Wed, 02 Jan 2013 12:31 pm

Hello! I am an Indian, but I was born and brought up in Saudi Arabia. I spent the first 15 years of my life there. How will you find the place, depends entirely on you. I loved it, because:

1. It is my birthplace
2. I am a Muslim, so the restrictions didn't bother me (alcohol, clubs, etc)
3. I am a male, so again the restrictions didn't bother me (dressing, going out, etc.)

Honestly speaking, you won't like that place, specially Riyadh. Because it is the capital and rules are a bit stricter there. I lived in Jeddah btw.

But expats earning handsomely (mostly Europeans and Americans) live in luxury compounds (equivalent to condos in Singapore). You can get alcohol in there (albeit illegally) and can dress according to your will.

The weather is hot, but you wont have to step outside at all. Everything else is air-conditioned. There is ZERO tax. I don't think it is a problem for women to work, but intermingling of sexes is not allowed.

I think you can have a good time there, depending on your adaptability. Plus you are joining your husband, so loneliness won't be an issue. All the best!

PS: I left Saudi Arabia over a decade ago. Things might have changed drastically