Singapore Expats

New Criteria for PEPs w.e.f. 1/12/2012

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New Criteria for PEPs w.e.f. 1/12/2012

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 7:57 am

physdude1 wrote:Another post that puzzles me above is the one stating that 8k is a lot for subcontinentals. Most of the subcontinental professionals I know who work overseas earn way above S$8k/month and the majority probably do earn close to or more than S$18k/month (actually, in my profession, the ones in India also mostly earn more than S$8k/month as well). After all, the richest ethnic community in the US is the Indian community and includes some of the most influential business people around.
In Singapore (and elsewhere too I guess.. ), SME boss companies and the agents try to pay the minimum they can.

I met a PhD who was drawing 5k because his boss sold him the idea that his experience in that company is priceless.

2 years experience, quite talented in Oracle DB, Java RMI and middle ware, understands architecting very well, delivered 3 large govt projects in Singapore ahead of time..

When he wanted to change job, the agent I referred passed a JD with offered pay between 12k to 15k.

The gentleman in question insisted the job offer is a scam. Too much studies does that to some folks I guess.

And he did go for another job interview by another agent, indicative pay not disclosed, and was offered 6.5k.

When the candidate asked for more the Agent had told the guy was being greedy.

Welcome to salary negotiating, Singapore style.

Not sure what he's drawing now, as he changed job and still insists my good recruiter contact is running some scam.

Willing seller willing buyer, to quote a minister, in another context.

PS, I bet, in another 3 to 5 years Sub cons are going to be replaced progressively with another Asian country talent, who are quite capable, building capability on BPO services, maybe not capable as Sub Cons, but to quote a Body shop person, you can get 3 of them for the price of 1 Sub Con. And are less demanding Image

physdude1 wrote:The cost of living also seems to have declined considerably and everything actually looked really cheap (at least a lot cheaper than what I have become used to). For eg., an evening partying at the Ceylon Sports Club cost only about US$30 and that included some great Indian food and a lot of beer. In most international cities, that would be at least 3 times more expensive. S$18,000/mth or even S$12,000/mth will go a lot farther in Singapore today than most international places IMO.
CSC is the worst possible place you can use for price comparison. And your idea of lawn party, try Singapore Recreation Club or Other places. And if the management one day decides to charge regular prices to member, you wont say any more :D

And, CSC is UNIQUE, as is Annalakshmi. They aren't to be used as yardstick for COL.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 12:16 pm

ecureilx wrote: CSC is the worst possible place you can use for price comparison. And your idea of lawn party, try Singapore Recreation Club or Other places. And if the management one day decides to charge regular prices to member, you wont say any more :D

And, CSC is UNIQUE, as is Annalakshmi. They aren't to be used as yardstick for COL.
I concur , went to Ceylon Sports Club last week for some after football beers as one of the regular players was leaving for good.

$13 for large bottle of Heineken :o :o :o :o
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 1:29 pm

Barnsley wrote:
I concur , went to Ceylon Sports Club last week for some after football beers as one of the regular players was leaving for good.

Try this place :D Vegetarian Food !!!

http://www.annalakshmi.com.sg/

Why ‘pay as you feel’?

Food is meant for sustenance of life and nobody is to be deprived. Annalakshmi is not a soup kitchen, or a place to feed socially deprived. Instead it is a place that supports the act of giving, from the heart. For example, a mother prepares and cooks a meal with love, selflessly for nourishment and well-being. At Annalakshmi, food is cooked with selfless love and positive energy. This food infused with love and positive energy, when consumed becomes a healing nectar and food for the soul.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 1:51 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Barnsley wrote:

Try this place :D Vegetarian Food !!!

http://www.annalakshmi.com.sg/

Why ‘pay as you feel’?

Food is meant for sustenance of life and nobody is to be deprived. Annalakshmi is not a soup kitchen, or a place to feed socially deprived. Instead it is a place that supports the act of giving, from the heart. For example, a mother prepares and cooks a meal with love, selflessly for nourishment and well-being. At Annalakshmi, food is cooked with selfless love and positive energy. This food infused with love and positive energy, when consumed becomes a healing nectar and food for the soul.
How much the beers?
Life is short, paddle harder!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 3:09 pm

Barnsley wrote: How much the beers?
Beer infused with love and zero alcohol, pay as you like :mrgreen:

physdude1

Post by physdude1 » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 1:29 pm

My application status page just changed to approved so that is good. It looks like being a former PR was not such a big problem after all.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Wed, 08 Nov 2017 8:37 pm

Seeing this thread reminded me I was one of the last to apply for a 5 year PEP. I submitted my application on the last few days then stretched out my in principle approval so I may end up being the very last person holding a 5 year PEP =D> .

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Thu, 09 Nov 2017 10:30 am

The Ref wrote:Seeing this thread reminded me I was one of the last to apply for a 5 year PEP. I submitted my application on the last few days then stretched out my in principle approval so I may end up being the very last person holding a 5 year PEP =D> .
I've just moved back to EP after 5 years on PEP. I applied in July but, due to an admin error at their end, started 1 Nov. I think it was 1 Dec the change came in.

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 09 Nov 2017 4:52 pm

The cutoff for applying was Nov 31 2012 and mine expires in Feb 2018

The Ref
Chatter
Chatter

Post by The Ref » Thu, 09 Nov 2017 4:55 pm

bgd wrote: I've just moved back to EP after 5 years on PEP. I applied in July but, due to an admin error at their end, started 1 Nov. I think it was 1 Dec the change came in.
Did you have any trouble moving back or was it just seamless?

I always thought the push was to move people on a PEP to PR but as I haven't put my PR application in and will need to go to EP as well.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:45 am

No issues. Took less than a week for approval. Then had to cancel the PEP online. Was on a paper pass for a couple of days then a visit to MOM for fingerprints and photo. Card delivered about a week later.

So you could apply now and cancel your pass just before expiry. Once the pass is cancelled you (and dependent in my case) need to stay in Sg until the new pass is issued - at least that was the recommendation.

PWC looked after all of this for me, compliments of my company.