Singapore Expats

New Criteria for PEPs w.e.f. 1/12/2012

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Validity for Current PEP holders

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 07 Nov 2012 11:50 pm

sami123 wrote:Hi all,

I got my PEP in May 2012 and I am well over the 144k annual salary. I was wondering if my PEP will now expire in only 3 years or will my current validity of 5 years continue.

I am trying to seek this information from MOM website but there seems to be quite a bit of ambiguity. Perhaps, they should come up with a better Q&A document than they have currently on the website....

Thanks all
Sami
See Q4 in my first post. It answers it quite clearly.

Aside from the revised minimum salary qualifications, there are no other changes to existing PEP holders.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 5:38 pm

Well I'm f$*!ed as mine expires soon and am now in that ever-growing list of those between jobs at the worst time of year.

Last time I was in between jobs, a long time ago, I was a tourist in my own apartment.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 8:54 pm

Brah wrote:Well I'm f$*!ed as mine expires soon and am now in that ever-growing list of those between jobs at the worst time of year.

Last time I was in between jobs, a long time ago, I was a tourist in my own apartment.
I hope you're getting your EP. My company just recently renewed mine and dodged a bullet...for how long, I know not. :?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 9:31 pm

Nak, have another read of Brah's post. He's currently between jobs again. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 10:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Nak, have another read of Brah's post. He's currently between jobs again. :(
I thought it was said for effect. Oh f***.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 12:44 am

well 'again' makes it sound like something regular with me, which it isn't - I've had this role for 95% of my time here, and had another role before that

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 2:11 am

Screw em. I couldn't give a flying shit. This visa class has just been another one to run for the pakis and indians who screwed it up for the rest of us.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 4:12 am

How crass.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 9:44 am

Not as crass as the attitudes of those who game the system and mess it up for genuine applicants. They don't give a rats ass about people coming down the line later on.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 10:46 am

I'm afraid it's not limited to a few select nationalities. It's become a culture of the younger generation world wide. Plenty of Aussies here who have gamed the system as well. Also Yank, Brits and Eastern Europeans. Granted, those from the Subcontinent are the biggest abusers, but it's widespread.

Callput
Regular
Regular

Post by Callput » Fri, 09 Nov 2012 3:46 pm

Agree with SMS, the subcontinent abusers were mainly the P2 pass holders with 2 years exp or the Q1 pass holders with 5 years exp.

8k salary was already high enough for most subcontinentals, the reason for moving 8k to 12k for insiders and from 8k to 18k for outsiders means this is to control everyone including the expats from richer countries.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 7:54 pm

We have regular debates with colleagues and I'm still confused...
If my PEP is due to expire in March 2017 and by Dec 31 2014 I do not meet the requirements, will it be cancelled right away or I will be given half a year to get an EP until mid 2015?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 8:06 pm

As far as I understand the FAQ posted earlier you have to meet the new criteria by 31/12/2014 so I would expect after that date it will be expired. The only grace period exceeding this date is for those whose PEP is going to "naturally" expire between 1/1/2015 and mid 2015.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 03 Jan 2013 9:33 pm

Correct. This is why I said that anybody who get a PEP under just under the wire with the old PEP criteria is actually no better than having a 2 year EP. In fact, it's more dangerous as with the EP, you could possible still get it renewed but as the PEP is a one time affair only, it's like jumping out of the pot and into the fire.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 07 Jan 2013 9:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Correct. This is why I said that anybody who get a PEP under just under the wire with the old PEP criteria is actually no better than having a 2 year EP. In fact, it's more dangerous as with the EP, you could possible still get it renewed but as the PEP is a one time affair only, it's like jumping out of the pot and into the fire.
True. But 2 years could be a very long time frame for some and especially when lot of them are worried about their jobs in the near term, they are looking at months and not even a year ahead.

For me the PEP couldn't have come at a better time. It gives me some breathing space and could even take up short term contracts if I like without being too worried about the visa.

However, visa was never a worry for those making above 5k. its the pathetic job market that worries me.