Singapore Expats Forum

flight with cat in cabin

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
The Club Residences

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 7:03 pm

Zeenit wrote:I again dont care how stressed your stupid cat is, but you best get serious insurance that someone like me is not on the flight or the flight after that as I will sue you and make sure you never put anyone thru what I will have to endue and hopefully dont die on the flight!!

If a passenger is allowed to take a cat on a flight on what grounds would you sue them?

:???:

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Sat, 03 Nov 2012 8:39 pm

Zeenit wrote:
handels wrote:I am bringing my cat from the US to Singapore in December in cabin on United. Most US carriers allow pets in cabin unless the destination prohibits it (like Hawaii).

Cats really don't enjoy flying (or any kind of stressful situation), but the FAA reports on pets in cargo is a little concerning, so I bring my cat in-cabin if we are relocating and driving isn't possible.

It is a concern that passengers will have a severe allergy, but most people with dander allergies luckily don't have more than mild discomfort. Keeping the animal confined at all times helps with this as they aren't spreading their fur all over the place. I also always ask my neighbors if they have an issue and so far haven't caused any problems. Looks like only about 2-3% of people are allergic to cats (http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=30) so not too bad odds that we won't annoy the other passengers.

Also, for anyone else doing long-haul with a cat, I bring a portable litterbox in carry-on. I also bring a small pop-up tent. At layovers, pop-up tent and put cat in with litter box. My cat is a champ and will make immediate use of the box with no fuss. YMMV. I've also done this in the plane lavatory on really long flights (put box on floor, put cat in box, cat does business, put cat in carrier).

Also, don't feed the cat within 2 hours of take-off. I once ignored this advice because I thought I knew best and the cat vomited immediately upon take-off. Gross.

I think people are on flights with pets all the time and never notice, but it only takes a few morons to spoil it for everyone. If you fly with a pet, please be considerate of the other passengers!

WEll you see I am very allergic to Dander and its now at the point where if a cat had been there I need to get to A&E asap. But I am sure once I explain to Singapore Air ( only airline) i use what bad publicity it will get if the plane needed to get back to Changi they will make sure the plane will never carry cats.

I again dont care how stressed your stupid cat is, but you best get serious insurance that someone like me is not on the flight or the flight after that as I will sue you and make sure you never put anyone thru what I will have to endue and hopefully dont die on the flight!!
And I am serious about how serious my allergy is But we must not forget about your stupid cat!!!

While your condition is unfortunate and certainly requires constant attention, you cannot blame anybody else for it or expect others to change their way of life to suit you.
If I were the airline, I would not prevent passengers from taking pets on board within the rules, but I would decline to carry passengers with medical conditions that make them unfit for travel under conditions that are considered normal and acceptable by international regulations, by the airline and by the majority of passengers, especially if those problematic customers also act annoyingly and threaten to tarnish the airline's reputation by sueing in case anything happens.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby uscate » Sun, 04 Nov 2012 8:36 pm

This is to the OP....We are preparing to move our cat from the US, and are using a pet Moving Company. They strongly advise AGAINST moving any cat via an under-the-seat carrier. One of the reasons they give is that the passenger cabin is generally a busy area with a lot of stimuli that can keep your cat in a hyper-alert state. Given that you are NOT allowed to tranq your cat before travel, this can exacerbate any nervousness.

If your cat is flown in the belly of the plane, it is in a climate controlled area that is (relatively) quiet (or at least there isn't a lot of stimulus) and is generally fairly dark (or mood lit). While you might be nervous not having your cat with you, I'm told that your cat will settle down more easily being in this stimulus-free environment.

The great thing is that you're flying Lufthansa, which my cat will be flying - they apparently have an awesome record for being pet-friendly.

When you arrive at Changi, your cat is whisked off to quarantine - I believe they spend their first evening at the airport, and then are shipped off to the quarantine station.

I hope this info helps - I'm still learning as the process goes on, but this is the website for the agency I'm using - it has some helpful tips that may put some of your concerns to rest: http://www.petrelocation.com.

Happy trails to you and your cat!!

x9200

Postby x9200 » Sun, 04 Nov 2012 9:39 pm

beppi wrote:
Zeenit wrote:WEll you see I am very allergic to Dander and its now at the point where if a cat had been there I need to get to A&E asap. But I am sure once I explain to Singapore Air ( only airline) i use what bad publicity it will get if the plane needed to get back to Changi they will make sure the plane will never carry cats.

I again dont care how stressed your stupid cat is, but you best get serious insurance that someone like me is not on the flight or the flight after that as I will sue you and make sure you never put anyone thru what I will have to endue and hopefully dont die on the flight!!
And I am serious about how serious my allergy is But we must not forget about your stupid cat!!!

While your condition is unfortunate and certainly requires constant attention, you cannot blame anybody else for it or expect others to change their way of life to suit you.
If I were the airline, I would not prevent passengers from taking pets on board within the rules, but I would decline to carry passengers with medical conditions that make them unfit for travel under conditions that are considered normal and acceptable by international regulations, by the airline and by the majority of passengers, especially if those problematic customers also act annoyingly and threaten to tarnish the airline's reputation by sueing in case anything happens.

There is one tricky point here: is it a common knowledge and sense that cats can be carried within the passenger deck? I would say it is not what is also demonstrated within this thread. For a large number of flights I took I don't recall a single case of somebody carrying a cat. This means that Zeenit could probably assume it is a cat free environment without a need of informing the airline about her condition. I realize it is not that clear cut case but I would expect her chances of wining the case are not negligible.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 10:49 am

beppi wrote:
Zeenit wrote:
handels wrote:I am bringing my cat from the US to Singapore in December in cabin on United. Most US carriers allow pets in cabin unless the destination prohibits it (like Hawaii).

Cats really don't enjoy flying (or any kind of stressful situation), but the FAA reports on pets in cargo is a little concerning, so I bring my cat in-cabin if we are relocating and driving isn't possible.

It is a concern that passengers will have a severe allergy, but most people with dander allergies luckily don't have more than mild discomfort. Keeping the animal confined at all times helps with this as they aren't spreading their fur all over the place. I also always ask my neighbors if they have an issue and so far haven't caused any problems. Looks like only about 2-3% of people are allergic to cats (http://www.aafa.org/display.cfm?id=9&sub=30) so not too bad odds that we won't annoy the other passengers.

Also, for anyone else doing long-haul with a cat, I bring a portable litterbox in carry-on. I also bring a small pop-up tent. At layovers, pop-up tent and put cat in with litter box. My cat is a champ and will make immediate use of the box with no fuss. YMMV. I've also done this in the plane lavatory on really long flights (put box on floor, put cat in box, cat does business, put cat in carrier).

Also, don't feed the cat within 2 hours of take-off. I once ignored this advice because I thought I knew best and the cat vomited immediately upon take-off. Gross.

I think people are on flights with pets all the time and never notice, but it only takes a few morons to spoil it for everyone. If you fly with a pet, please be considerate of the other passengers!

WEll you see I am very allergic to Dander and its now at the point where if a cat had been there I need to get to A&E asap. But I am sure once I explain to Singapore Air ( only airline) i use what bad publicity it will get if the plane needed to get back to Changi they will make sure the plane will never carry cats.

Personally I think people who have hyper allergies should not breed but remove themselves from the gene pool so as not to contaminate future generations. I guess one day gene therapy will fix these problems but til then.... BTW - there's a lot worse things than a bit of cat dander floating around those flying cigar tubes.
Now I'm called PNGMK

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 11:48 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
beppi wrote:
Zeenit wrote:

Personally I think people who have hyper allergies should not breed but remove themselves from the gene pool so as not to contaminate future generations. I guess one day gene therapy will fix these problems but til then.... BTW - there's a lot worse things than a bit of cat dander floating around those flying cigar tubes.

Seems we differ on this OSOD, I believe all cats should be destroyed since they are stinking vermin that carry disease and can't be trained for anything useful, I will never get my way, unfortunately.

Flying with a cat in the cabin is unpleasant for some fellow passengers, whether hyper-allergic, allergic or just folk who don't like the way they smell, there is a place for them in a plane, why not use it? I certainly don't expect to fly in the cargo, nor should I be allowed to. animals who are trained to assist humans, such as sight dogs I can deal with.
nutnut

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 11:55 am

nutnut wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
beppi wrote:
Zeenit wrote:

Seems we differ on this OSOD, I believe all cats should be destroyed since they are stinking vermin that carry disease and can't be trained for anything useful, I will never get my way, unfortunately.

Flying with a cat in the cabin is unpleasant for some fellow passengers, whether hyper-allergic, allergic or just folk who don't like the way they smell, there is a place for them in a plane, why not use it? I certainly don't expect to fly in the cargo, nor should I be allowed to. animals who are trained to assist humans, such as sight dogs I can deal with.

Cat's do not smell and are intelligent animals - you ignorant arse-wipe!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 12:19 pm

Allergies; when they get bad enough, they kill the carrier.

I don't react to cats at all, nor most dogs or even people smells. However people who fart in the economy section should be pushed out an open door.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 12:24 pm

$1000 to the first poster that can get a cat to round up sheep, lead the blind, play tic tac toe and win or climb a coconut tree and retrieve the nuts. (Bonus points if your cat can retrieve a shot duck or balance a ball on his nose). These are all activities a large number of domesticated animals can do - cats cannot.

I like cats, in fact I'm pretty much nuts about cats. But I would not say their intelligent. They're cunning, interesting, curious, keen of eye sight and hearing but pretty much un-trainable. The only real use of a cat is in line with it's original natural state - hunting rodents.
Now I'm called PNGMK

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Postby nutnut » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 12:38 pm

BillyB wrote:
nutnut wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
beppi wrote:
Zeenit wrote:

Cat's do not smell and are intelligent animals - you ignorant arse-wipe!

Of course they smell, they smell of cats! I never said they weren't intelligent, they obviously have some level of intelligence. I still stand by the fact I think that owners carrying them in the cabin is totally unreasonable, it reminds me of people who dress their cats/dogs with shoes and jumpers and stuff. I know you've got cats Billy, that's up to you, this is simply my opinion.

Now, hunting rodents is a fairly useful skill, if there were rodents loose on the plane I'd support having working cats there.
nutnut

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 2:10 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:$1000 to the first poster that can get a cat to round up sheep, lead the blind, play tic tac toe and win or climb a coconut tree and retrieve the nuts. (Bonus points if your cat can retrieve a shot duck or balance a ball on his nose). These are all activities a large number of domesticated animals can do - cats cannot.

I like cats, in fact I'm pretty much nuts about cats. But I would not say their intelligent. They're cunning, interesting, curious, keen of eye sight and hearing but pretty much un-trainable. The only real use of a cat is in line with it's original natural state - hunting rodents.

Stephen Hawking would struggle to do most of those, but he's intelligent.......

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 6:33 pm

BillyB wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:$1000 to the first poster that can get a cat to round up sheep, lead the blind, play tic tac toe and win or climb a coconut tree and retrieve the nuts. (Bonus points if your cat can retrieve a shot duck or balance a ball on his nose). These are all activities a large number of domesticated animals can do - cats cannot.

He can play tic tac toe I think. Pretty certain he can lead the blind in that scooter and I imagine he can train others to do the other tasks. If a cat doesn't want to do those things and can get someone else to feed it, take care of it, round up the - oh hang on.... circular self defeating argument here..!
Now I'm called PNGMK

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 10:53 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
BillyB wrote:

He can play tic tac toe I think. Pretty certain he can lead the blind in that scooter and I imagine he can train others to do the other tasks. If a cat doesn't want to do those things and can get someone else to feed it, take care of it, round up the - oh hang on.... circular self defeating argument here..!

Let's talk about dolphins - now they are overrated animals!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 3:44 pm

Now, now, taking a dolphin on board is really a bit too much - especially in Economy Class!