Singapore Expats

Employer Filed Police and MOM complaint

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
americaneagle99

Employer Filed Police and MOM complaint

Post by americaneagle99 » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 2:07 pm

Hello Fellow Expats and Locals,

My name is Alaxender. I Was working in singapore in Year 2009-2010. worked there for a year but had to urgently leave singapore as there was some emergency backhome. I did send him SMS and kept on talking to them for around 2 months after i left but then i got busy and couldn't speak much to them. recently i recieved an email from IRAS abt TAX filing. I am ready to pay whatever tax is .. So i spoke to my employer to send me some letter as per IRAS. When i talked to my employer on phone he said that He said and I quote " As you have disappeared suddenly without resignation, we have filed a Police Report and also filed a Report to Ministry of Manpower (MOM) .These records will likely work against you. "
Now i have couple of questions :
1) How would it effect my chances to come back to singapore. I am not concerned abt working there as I may not again .. thogh i loved singapore but i cant leave my family alone here but I AM concerned abt travelling to singapore.

americaneagle99

Post by americaneagle99 » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 2:08 pm

2nd Question ) What are legal implications for this. and what should i do next ..

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 4:57 pm

Mmm - why would they file a police report for purely a ICA/taxation and MOM matter? Did you help yourself to something on the way out? I have to admit thought that 'I'm going to file a police report lah' is a Sinkies favourite and pointeless threat.
Now I'm called PNGMK

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 5:09 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Mmm - why would they file a police report for purely a ICA/taxation and MOM matter? Did you help yourself to something on the way out? I have to admit thought that 'I'm going to file a police report lah' is a Sinkies favourite and pointeless threat.
As OSOD is a great advocate of the police, I am sure hed tell you not to worry about it!

However, if your contract states you owe them money if you don't work notice then it could be something like this, otherwise, I echo OSOD, are you certain that your nose is entirely clean? If so, contact the police and ask them about it! That's the best way IMO.
nutnut

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Employer Filed Police and MOM complaint

Post by the lynx » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 5:13 pm

americaneagle99 wrote:Hello Fellow Expats and Locals,

My name is Alaxender. I Was working in singapore in Year 2009-2010. worked there for a year but had to urgently leave singapore as there was some emergency backhome. I did send him SMS and kept on talking to them for around 2 months after i left but then i got busy and couldn't speak much to them. recently i recieved an email from IRAS abt TAX filing. I am ready to pay whatever tax is .. So i spoke to my employer to send me some letter as per IRAS. When i talked to my employer on phone he said that He said and I quote " As you have disappeared suddenly without resignation, we have filed a Police Report and also filed a Report to Ministry of Manpower (MOM) .These records will likely work against you. "
1) How would it effect my chances to come back to singapore. I am not concerned abt working there as I may not again .. thogh i loved singapore but i cant leave my family alone here but I AM concerned abt travelling to singapore.
IRAS? Yes. It is normal procedure for a company to inform IRAS when it terminates a foreign employee and have the taxes sorted out.

MOM? Yes. Also a normal procedure when a company terminates its employee, whether he pull the disappearing act or a legit termination. It may have an adverse effect on your future employment in Singapore but you still can visit Singapore on tourist visa or as layover.

Police? What for? Unless you did something wrong?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 6:11 pm

We always file a police report whenever one of our foreign employees does a runner. It's safer that way.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 6:21 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:We always file a police report whenever one of our foreign employees does a runner. It's safer that way.
For insurance purposes or general harassment?
Now I'm called PNGMK

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 9:39 pm

i think the police report needs to be faxed to MOM... IIRC!

either that or MOM tells the HR person to file a report anyway. seems like "procedure."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:16 pm

Exactly. OSOD, you have been here 20 years, you should know that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

americaneagle99

what to do next?

Post by americaneagle99 » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 6:36 am

Thanks for your reply guys ...i just read on MOM website .. that MOM needs a police report copy in case of missing employee.. bt thaat fact was i was not missing as i did inform my boss but ya it wasn't a correct handover as i had to come back urgently..

Can you guide me on what to do next in this situation .. I guess my no 1 priority should be to Pay income Tax. and should i talk to my employer . i am ok to pay him if any dues towards him..which i dont think that there will be any dues.. but still they may ask for 1 month salary for terminatig contract without notice...is there a chance he can take the complaint back .. is it even possible.. as said earlier .. i am not concerened abt working in sg.. its just that if i come to singapore for a flight layover or tourist .. i dont want to land in jail via immigration...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 7:03 am

says it all doesn't it. You left the company, stopped being in contact with them, left without proper filing of the IR-21 thereby saddling the employer with both your taxes AND possibly a fine for not filing the IR-21 on time. Therefore, for all intents & purposes you have done a runner and you had better start with IRAS to get your taxes sorted out.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 9:00 am

americaneagle99 wrote:Hello Fellow Expats and Locals,

americaneagle99 wrote:2nd Question ) What are legal implications for this. and what should i do next ..
americaneagle99 wrote:Thanks for your reply guys ...i just read on MOM website .. that MOM needs a police report copy in case of missing employee.. bt thaat fact was i was not missing as i did inform my boss but ya it wasn't a correct handover as i had to come back urgently..

Can you guide me on what to do next in this situation .. I guess my no 1 priority should be to Pay income Tax. and should i talk to my employer . i am ok to pay him if any dues towards him..which i dont think that there will be any dues.. but still they may ask for 1 month salary for terminatig contract without notice...is there a chance he can take the complaint back .. is it even possible.. as said earlier .. i am not concerened abt working in sg.. its just that if i come to singapore for a flight layover or tourist .. i dont want to land in jail via immigration...
Alaxender (or should that be Alexander?),

Did you sort out your rental contract, utilities, bank account, credit cards, etc. before you left, or do you owe money for any of those? I ask because that may also affect your situation should you ever pass through Singapore in the future.
Be careful what you wish for

americaneagle99

Post by americaneagle99 » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 9:08 am

yes i have cleared rental, credit card , bank account .. i do not have any dues towards them.. I still hold UOB credit card and Debit card .. buti dont have any dues towards them .. infact i have around 200$ in banking account .. which i left in the case i have to pay for anything in singapore..the only thing i can think of is i bought smsung galaxy s2 from starhub on a 2 year contract and i kept on paying them for the time i was there .. say around 1 year .. so i may have dues towards them.. but when i asked my friend in singapore.. he said to take it easy and forget abt it and enjoy the phone as i am out of country so shouldn't care much on that par .. but now i am thinking if i have to come back for a layover or a a tour .. i dont want to land in jail for these stuff..

americaneagle99

Post by americaneagle99 » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 9:12 am

ya and the name is Alexander .. i am italian .. tying mistake :-)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 1:06 pm

i'm no immigration expert, but i don't think running off on a job is something you go to jail over (taxes... i'm not so sure, although i think it's no biggie, better safe than sorry - so pay up).

wouldn't it be easier just to email/write in to MOM (and IRAS) and seek clarification if there are any criminal charges/legal procedures against you?