Singapore Expats

Melbourne to Singapore ... Is this a good package?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Post Reply
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 9:45 pm

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 05 Nov 2012 6:37 pm

ameraussie wrote:OK. This wasn't the crux of my original post, but now you've got me thinking. Do people hang their clothes out to dry in Singapore, or mainly use dryers? I imagine space and humidity might be an issue, but the electricity costs of a dryer can be heinous. (Do most condos have, like, a laundry room?)

As for me, I'm cool with my kids speaking Singlish, just as long as they can still speak the bastardised American-Australian English their British-Australian-American parents have been teaching them from birth. It's a truck, no it's a ute, no it's a lorry! LOL. :D
Most condos have indoor drying poles in a 'yard' - i.e. laundry area - if they are of a reasonable size. Dryers are useful for towels and sheets - final drying so that don't come out as stiff as a board.
Now I'm called PNGMK

colio
Regular
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 3:40 pm

Post by colio » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 9:10 am

JayCee wrote:
as well as 2-3 days in a day care center for extra stimulation & learning (we don't want her growing up with a Filipino accent & learning Filipino english!).
[\quote]

If your kid having a different accent and speaking a bastardized version of English is a bit worry then boy did you choose the wrong place to move to :lol:

Good luck trying to stop your kid speaking singlish after a year or two here
Haha, funny Jaycee!

I have Aussie expat friends & relo's living in SG with young Aussie kids.. they have been there years now & they all sound as Aussie as they did when they lived here. I think it's AIS & the company they keep.. Aussie is a strong accent - once you have it, it's hard to lose even if you wanted to!! Probably not the nicest accent in the world though... far from it..

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 11:15 am

ameraussie wrote:OK. This wasn't the crux of my original post, but now you've got me thinking. Do people hang their clothes out to dry in Singapore, or mainly use dryers? I imagine space and humidity might be an issue, but the electricity costs of a dryer can be heinous. (Do most condos have, like, a laundry room?)

As for me, I'm cool with my kids speaking Singlish, just as long as they can still speak the bastardised American-Australian English their British-Australian-American parents have been teaching them from birth. It's a truck, no it's a ute, no it's a lorry! What the hell. It has wheels. LOL. :D
Drying clothes in Singapore is heaven - overnight on a balcony and they're crisp and airy when you wake up. It used to take me 2 days to hang-dry my clothes in the UK!

ameraussie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 1:14 pm

Post by ameraussie » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 12:07 pm

There is nothing as heavenly as line-dried sheets, crisp and cool. This thread is making me sleepy...

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8363
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children

Post by nakatago » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 1:20 pm

BillyB wrote:Drying clothes in Singapore is heaven - overnight on a balcony and they're crisp and airy when you wake up. It used to take me 2 days to hang-dry my clothes in the UK!
Only if your clotheslines get plenty of ventilation. Some housing units have clotheslines (and other possible spaces) that make you wanna ask if the architects were high when they did the layouts.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:01 pm
Location: My laptop

Post by BillyB » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 1:26 pm

nakatago wrote:
BillyB wrote:Drying clothes in Singapore is heaven - overnight on a balcony and they're crisp and airy when you wake up. It used to take me 2 days to hang-dry my clothes in the UK!
Only if your clotheslines get plenty of ventilation. Some housing units have clotheslines (and other possible spaces) that make you wanna ask if the architects were high when they did the layouts.
I just make our maid stand outside and fan the clothes all night.......

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 40423
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 21
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 Nov 2012 3:31 pm

cheeky bugger! :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests