Singapore Expats

Job Interview Question: "How's the turnover rate?"

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
nakatago

Job Interview Question: "How's the turnover rate?"

Post by nakatago » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:15 am

Encountered thisin /. as it came up on my news feed.

Similar questions could be:

* Is this a new position?
* Why did the guy before me leave?

The comments in the article say it is certainly a valid question aside from an applicant also showing in interest in the culture more than the paycheck. One guy said it's none of the applicant's business who is just being a prima donna. Another guy said it's only fair since the hiring manager gets to ask "Why did you leave your old job?"

So, what are your thoughts?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 11:27 am

I think it is a very fair question, but I wouldn't ask it nor would I expect an honest answer. The more interesting info would be the body language reaction of the person you ask.

If someone asked me, I wouldn't factor it negatively against the employee. It would make me think they're more likely to be conscientious of the team and environment. Or now, that they read Slashdot.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 12:17 pm

I tend to ask why the person left from previously if I am replacing them, this shows a few things. Firstly it shows potential for progression within the company, that person may have moved internally, also it shows the body language if they left cause the boss is a dick and it also shows a little what the person was like previously and can lead to further questioning. If it's a new position, the questions would be - where is the work coming from, who did this before etc to show if it's a growth thing a compliance thing or a business building thing.

To me, it's very important to understand if the exact team I'm entering is growing or shrinking and what the morale is like. I don't want to work for a company going through redundancies or with unhappy staff really, I'd rather work somewhere that has growth, happy staff and good internal movement.

The other options to gain this information are normally prepared for by the interviewer things like "What is the internal progression like, can you give em an example" will normally bring some exceptionally good situation for someone who is not really relevant or with similar skills to yourself and How is staff morale? Will usually give you a text book answer stating everyone is happy, if not, then you may also consider that the people in that department may be moving on soon.

In reply to the person who says "It's none of your business" I'd say to the contrary, it's directly your business if motivated by the environment!

Interview questions to the Interviewer at to show a few things, firstly to show your interest and motivation and secondly to get the information you would not otherwise be volunteered. Very, very important to help you make the decision if you want the job or not!
nutnut

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Post by v4jr4 » Wed, 24 Oct 2012 10:59 pm

Once, I did ask a stupid question: "According to some information in mailing list and several forums, no one can 'tahan' this position. Thus, you guys never 'fix' it. Why?"

At that time, I thought it's important why a position with simple job desc has a quick turnover. What's done is done :-|
"Budget Expat"