Singapore Expats Forum

Can Expats study in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.


Can Expats study in Singapore

Postby pevans » Wed, 15 Dec 2004 2:09 pm

Just wondering if expats are eligible to study at either the Singapore Uni or at one of the polytechnics ?

I'm coming from Australia, my wife will be working full time so i'm thinking about studying...

Any advice would be great..



Postby Guest » Wed, 15 Dec 2004 7:21 pm

Yeah you can.
I'm British and studied at Lasalle College of the arts. I was not married at the time so held a student pass. Have no idea whether you need one if you are a dependant.
Like all unis etc around the world there are foreign student fees which can be a bit high.
Why not have a look on the website of the institutions I'm sure there will be a section to answer your questions about foreign student eligibility


Postby Guest » Wed, 15 Dec 2004 7:59 pm

Yes you can, but be prepared for very high fees. Talking about maybe $12,000 pa. and upwards.


Postby pevans » Thu, 16 Dec 2004 7:52 am

Thanks Guys

I'll check it out.....

$12000 ouch !! :roll:


Postby pevans » Mon, 20 Dec 2004 1:53 pm

I just got a reply from Singapore polytechnic saying that i was not allowed to study ANY full time courses, however and i quote

"If you are working in Singapore and possess a valid Singapore work permit or employment pass, you may wish to consider applying for our part-time courses."

So it looks like thats all i can study whilst i'm over there...PART TIME ! But i'm not working in Singapore, my wife is....SO i probably can't even study part time...


Postby Guest » Mon, 20 Dec 2004 4:29 pm

Why can't you study part time?

I'm in the same boat as you - wife working here, I'm not.

I got accepted to study part time at NAFA.


i tried to study in NTU and got the same reply

Postby sally » Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:03 pm

but u can study part time. i did and it was nice


Postby pevans » Thu, 23 Dec 2004 7:38 am

The college mentioned that if i had a employment pass then i may wish to consider studying part time. Well i don;t have a employment pass yet, just a dependants pass....So hopefully i'll be able to study with that !

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests