Singapore Expats Forum

DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5402
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:37 am

JR8 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_ballast#Electronic_ballasts

I was looking into the function of a 'ballast', and found the above. It was useful in explaining how it, the starter, and bulb work together... thot might be of interest to DIYers who aren't electronic engineers :)


I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Postby JR8 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:44 am

PNGMK wrote:I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.


I've had issues with circuits of halogen low voltage lights (dichroic bulbs), and the associated transformers blowing. It gets expensive especially when they take out the bulbs too. What was quite clear in those situations was that it pays to get quality 'trannies'.

Pre-assembled fittings complete with trannies tend to use the cheapest components (and that includes most manufacturers, right down to IKEA).
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5402
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Re: DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Postby PNGMK » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:53 am

JR8 wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.


I've had issues with circuits of halogen low voltage lights (dichroic bulbs), and the associated transformers blowing. It gets expensive especially when they take out the bulbs too. What was quite clear in those situations was that it pays to get quality 'trannies'.

Pre-assembled fittings complete with trannies tend to use the cheapest components (and that includes most manufacturers, right down to IKEA).


Yes - I hear you. I assume the ballasts are cheap and either the insulation is failing in the heat/humidity or the winding is going open circuit. Drives me spare (I hate working on things above my head).
IANAL. IANACPA. IANA Teacher.
Arrested? Lawyer Up
International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
School advice? Avoid for profit schools
Tax advice? CPA
Pay me $5k for 100% success filling in PR form!

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Postby Steve1960 » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 11:54 am

JR8 wrote:Pre-assembled fittings complete with trannies tend to use the cheapest components (and that includes most manufacturers, right down to IKEA).


I used the plain vanilla IKEA light units nothing but the base, bulb connectors and shade. Then fitted low energy fluorescent bulbs with built in ballast. I do agree on quality concerns though not all of those bulbs are made equal. I chose to buy Phillips and they seem to have been fine to date.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2815
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Re: DIY Home Repair: Light replacement advice

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Tue, 23 Dec 2014 1:04 pm

PNGMK wrote:
JR8 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_ballast#Electronic_ballasts

I was looking into the function of a 'ballast', and found the above. It was useful in explaining how it, the starter, and bulb work together... thot might be of interest to DIYers who aren't electronic engineers :)


I've had three ballasts (not the tube, not the starter, not the wiring) fail in the last two months. It's crazy - in 50 years I never seen a failed ballast! (they're electrically simple).... so now I just rip the fighting off and put up an LED based light.


You aren't alone I've replaced one of those things this year and I've had three blacked out tubes as well, it appears that the quality of electrical products are intentionally degraded to have customers buy them more quickly than necessary.

I went to Jalan Besar to get a replacement Ballast, i found one similar to the one zzm posted but the quality was atrocious, it looked like it was waiting to fail from right from the time I took it out of the shop. :lol:
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest