Singapore Expats Forum

Changing of job while the PR application still pending

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
memoriesland
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 19 Oct 2012

Changing of job while the PR application still pending

Postby memoriesland » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:58 am

Hi all,

I am submitting my PR application in Nov 2012.

Below are my details,

Malaysian Chinese (Female), Single, 24yrs old
UK Degree holder
Working as engineer since Jul 2010
Renewed EP in Apr 2012 and expiry in 2015
Annual income around 40k
Paid income tax once in Jul 2012

Seeking comments from the seniors here.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by memoriesland on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:09 pm

Why have you only paid income tax once if you've been here since 2010? Have you filed returns?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Applying PR in Nov

Postby the lynx » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:09 pm

memoriesland wrote:Hi all,

I am submitting my PR application in Nov 2012.

Below are my details,

Malaysian Chinese (Female), Single
UK Degree holder
Working as engineer since Jul 2010
Renewed EP in Apr 2012 and expiry in 2015
Annual income around 40k
Paid income tax once in Jul 2012

Seeking comments from the seniors here.

Thanks! :)


I wanted to suggest you to wait until you've passed income tax assessment for 2013 (April 2013) to make it 3 years of tax assessment for better chances but hey, you're Malaysian Chinese. It seems easier to get PR with your background like that (especially if you're young) despite of the fact that you may be too early.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:10 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Why have you only paid income tax once if you've been here since 2010? Have you filed returns?


My guess is that she was here for less than 183 days by the time of assessment in April 2011 so she was exempted.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Re: Applying PR in Nov

Postby v4jr4 » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 12:35 pm

the lynx wrote:I wanted to suggest you to wait until you've passed income tax assessment for 2013 (April 2013) to make it 3 years of tax assessment for better chances but hey, you're Malaysian Chinese. It seems easier to get PR with your background like that (especially if you're young) despite of the fact that you may be too early.


But I guess, the 40K annual income puts her at a disadvantage.
"Budget Expat"

memoriesland
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 19 Oct 2012

Postby memoriesland » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 1:43 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Why have you only paid income tax once if you've been here since 2010? Have you filed returns?


Ya, all are filed automatically by company, I think The Lynx was right, and I didn't get any letter from gov too..

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 1:47 pm

memoriesland wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Why have you only paid income tax once if you've been here since 2010? Have you filed returns?


Ya, all are filed automatically by company, I think The Lynx was right, and I didn't get any letter from gov too..


Your company should forward you a copy of letter IRAS stating that you are exempted from income tax for that particular year. Alternatively, use your SingPass ID and log into IRAS website and view that exemption letter yourself. Keep a record.

memoriesland
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 19 Oct 2012

Re: Applying PR in Nov

Postby memoriesland » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 1:48 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
the lynx wrote:I wanted to suggest you to wait until you've passed income tax assessment for 2013 (April 2013) to make it 3 years of tax assessment for better chances but hey, you're Malaysian Chinese. It seems easier to get PR with your background like that (especially if you're young) despite of the fact that you may be too early.


But I guess, the 40K annual income puts her at a disadvantage.


Ya, the income.. Kinda low... :cry:

memoriesland
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 19 Oct 2012

Postby memoriesland » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 1:50 pm

the lynx wrote:Your company should forward you a copy of letter IRAS stating that you are exempted from income tax for that particular year. Alternatively, use your SingPass ID and log into IRAS website and view that exemption letter yourself. Keep a record.


Okay, will login and have a look!
Thanks for the info.. :D

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008

Postby therat » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 1:51 pm

For a fresh grad, 40k is around the market price

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 3:59 pm

Good luck. Pity you aren't married with some cannon fodder but I think you'll get in. Be aware that the SG is pushing MY PR's to convert to SC pretty quickly.
Now I'm called PNGMK

memoriesland
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 19 Oct 2012

Postby memoriesland » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 5:14 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:Good luck. Pity you aren't married with some cannon fodder but I think you'll get in. Be aware that the SG is pushing MY PR's to convert to SC pretty quickly.


Haha.. hopefully can get.. that's why am pretty careful on the relevant documents preparation...

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 5:18 pm

memoriesland wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Good luck. Pity you aren't married with some cannon fodder but I think you'll get in. Be aware that the SG is pushing MY PR's to convert to SC pretty quickly.


Haha.. hopefully can get.. that's why am pretty careful on the relevant documents preparation...


The documents are one thing; it's the unpublished but obviously important 'profile' that they are looking for that you need to fit into. If you're smart. nubile (i.e. of child bearing age) and employed at a reasonable level with future prospects and from the chosen race.... AND the quote hasn't been fillled - why not?
Now I'm called PNGMK

memoriesland
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri, 19 Oct 2012

Postby memoriesland » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 5:22 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
The documents are one thing; it's the unpublished but obviously important 'profile' that they are looking for that you need to fit into. If you're smart. nubile (i.e. of child bearing age) and employed at a reasonable level with future prospects and from the chosen race.... AND the quote hasn't been fillled - why not?


Yea, hopefully the quota is not filled yet, else gonna wait until the next time..

ben8118
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed, 16 Feb 2011

Postby ben8118 » Sat, 27 Oct 2012 7:00 pm

Just apply! Don't think too much. I applied for mine and got it 7 weeks later.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests