Singapore Expats Forum

F>Mentorship for my internet business

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
MrYoung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 15 Oct 2012

F>Mentorship for my internet business

Postby MrYoung » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 5:52 pm

Hi guys,
Just a little intro of myself. Im a teenager, studying in a local polytechnic that hopes to be a successful entrepreneur one day. Everyday Im thinking of ideas of how to make more money. After 6months of development, I have just started a website that provides a service to the community. My aim is to gather as many customer based and hope it will turn into a business one day(like facebook).

Now my website is in beta phase that I sincerely hope that people can share their expertise with me especially in the IT field on the DIRECTIONS and right METHODS to move the business.

Do PM me for more details of my website as it is inconvenient for me to reveal here.
Last edited by MrYoung on Wed, 17 Oct 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 6:21 pm

"Inconvenient'? It's inconvenient for me to go to your website then to have to PM you to help you with questions YOU are asking.

Besides, as moderator you are very quickly going to have to prove to me that you are not posting simply to try and drive commercial activity to your website, that is ADVERTISING.

Show me how you are not advertising your new "website that provides a service to the community."

MrYoung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 15 Oct 2012

Postby MrYoung » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 6:40 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:"Inconvenient'? It's inconvenient for me to go to your website then to have to PM you to help you with questions YOU are asking.

Besides, as moderator you are very quickly going to have to prove to me that you are not posting simply to try and drive commercial activity to your website, that is ADVERTISING.

Show me how you are not advertising your new "website that provides a service to the community."


As I mentioned, I have a website that it is in beta phase. The reason I do not want to reveal to the public as I'm scared people will steal the idea as it is not Intellectual property. Once I get the audience based, I do no need to worry.

Imagine being an owner of youtube, when you do not have many audiences, arent you afraid that people may steal your idea initially? Copy the idea and create a similar website and call yours "Original"?
Last edited by MrYoung on Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 8:00 pm

My suggestion (seriously) - learn punctuation and grammar. If your website reads as poorly as your posts I don't think you'll be very successful.
Be careful what you wish for

MrYoung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 15 Oct 2012

Postby MrYoung » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:45 am

Thanks for the suggestion, I will improve on my grammar and punctuation.
Anyway mi amigo, being a successful person yourself, can you teach me how to be successful?
Last edited by MrYoung on Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 16 Oct 2012 7:14 am

I'll just give you this one piece of advice - first impressions are all-important. Your posts here look like they come from someone who is sloppy and not good at attention to detail. Whether or not that is an accurate description of you is irrelevant, that's the impression you are giving. Think of every initial contact with someone as your 'elevator pitch' and don't waste the opportunity. You could start by putting a space after every comma (and two spaces after every full-stop) when you type something, but my point is obviously more general than that.
Be careful what you wish for

MrYoung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 15 Oct 2012

Postby MrYoung » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:08 am

I have edited my starting post. Thanks for the advise, is there a thing of " website consultant " in the market? From what i gather, there is SEO, but how effective is SEO?

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 3:29 pm

this is a very weird and confusing thread.

if you can't reveal it to the public, how can you get an "audience base?" (and vice versa)

FYI, there're many video sharing web sites that work (on the surface) just like youtube that are not youtube (eg, vimeo).

i don't think either one of them claims to be THE ORIGINAL video hosting site (which they're not).

these "website consultants," internet marketing companies and SEO specialists will easily suck you dry, and not in a feel good way.

and i've just made this thread even weirder.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 4:05 pm

I can guarantee you that the instant your website is online, and if it is a good idea, someone will steal it. There is no way to drive traffic to a website unless you have the website up and running.

If you have a good idea, people will sign up. You set up a Facebook page, Twitter, and anything else you can think of in the hopes it will go viral. You can pay for Google ad words to drive traffic to your site. You can ask related sites to share links to build standing in search engines.

What you can't do it somehow keep it secret until enough people are on board without knowing what it is. That just aint gonna happen.

It is a fact of life in any business that has a low barrier to entry... if it is a good idea, someone will steal it.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34261
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 4:55 pm

Bubble tea springs to mind...... :roll:

MrYoung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 15 Oct 2012

Postby MrYoung » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:39 pm

taxico - Thanks for the advise. I do feel the same way as you did regarding internet companies' credibility.

Strong eagle - I do have traffic problems. I guess you are right when you said
" What you can't do it somehow keep it secret until enough people are on board without knowing what it is. That just aint gonna happen. "


My initial plan was to find someone credible and leverage from there. Thank you so much for your advises, I really appreciate it.

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3148
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 9:08 pm

MrYoung wrote:My initial plan was to find someone credible and leverage from there.


so... you want to make use of someone credible and this credible someone won't steal your idea?

MrYoung
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon, 15 Oct 2012

Postby MrYoung » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 7:00 pm

that is the tiny risk I need to bear (:

Anyone whom are interested in an internet startup do PM me, we can discuss from there.

AnthonyC
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue, 14 Jun 2011
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby AnthonyC » Thu, 08 Nov 2012 1:52 pm

MrYoung wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:"Inconvenient'? It's inconvenient for me to go to your website then to have to PM you to help you with questions YOU are asking.

Besides, as moderator you are very quickly going to have to prove to me that you are not posting simply to try and drive commercial activity to your website, that is ADVERTISING.

Show me how you are not advertising your new "website that provides a service to the community."


As I mentioned, I have a website that it is in beta phase. The reason I do not want to reveal to the public as I'm scared people will steal the idea as it is not Intellectual property. Once I get the audience based, I do no need to worry.

Imagine being an owner of youtube, when you do not have many audiences, arent you afraid that people may steal your idea initially? Copy the idea and create a similar website and call yours "Original"?


If they steal your idea, you should be flattered. Most sites / brands build stuff that people never know, see or hear about. If people try to copy you, its because you have created something valuable.

Get as many people to your site as possible, and figure out how it will make revenue.

Regarding your competitors, just iterate faster than them, and do it better. Besides, their money will help build the category for your product or service.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests