Singapore Expats

Why you might not get that job!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
PNGMK
Answers: 10

Re: Why you might not get that job!

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Dec 2014 12:18 pm

I've hired about 5 people in the last 6 months (all PMET or STEM)....

I've only hired people I have a first or second degree connection to .... I don't have the time to wade through interviews and these days I assume everyone's resume is full of lies, half-truths and exaggerations anyways....

So how do you find a job? Network - join every industry group you can (SPE is meeting tonight at Blu Jazz), go to every show you can (OSEA is on this week in Singapore), talk to every idiot you can (some of them are well connected)... REACH OUT and don't be so freak dismissive of contacts, advice and connections send your way.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

picbonus

Post by picbonus » Tue, 27 Jan 2015 8:51 pm

Sometime finding a job require social connection or probably under pay scenario. :D

BenjaminTeh

Re:

Post by BenjaminTeh » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 9:39 am

Strong Eagle wrote:
AndrewV wrote:more info on getting your resume looked at more often would be helpful
Isn't that the truth... and if you came up with the way to do it, you'd probably make a lot of money.
Actually, it is already very possible to do this if you know how. I've been actively tapping that and 9 out of my last 10 jobs were LinkedIn-assisted..

Cheers..

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Re:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 9:57 am

BenjaminTeh wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
AndrewV wrote:more info on getting your resume looked at more often would be helpful
Isn't that the truth... and if you came up with the way to do it, you'd probably make a lot of money.
Actually, it is already very possible to do this if you know how. I've been actively tapping that and 9 out of my last 10 jobs were LinkedIn-assisted..

Cheers..
You worked 10 jobs?! Sounds like a job-hopper eh?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:24 am

No, he's a recruiter and hopefully, he knows not to try recruiting here. He's a big believer and a "trainer" for linkedin as well. I'm already watching......

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BenjaminTeh

Post by BenjaminTeh » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 5:57 pm

1. No, I am not a recruiter, though I was international/ regional recruiting head for household corporate brands names in my recent previous life.
2. It not 10 jobs actually. Its 10 in 15 years. If you are referring to my whole career, that would be 18 in 25 years.
3. I have evidently offended the moderators (Not quite sure what I did though). So please accept my thanks for your brief hospitality and apologies for any offense.

regards

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 6:12 pm

Benjamin Teh, we have seen all kinds of people on this board who come on here with different agendas and methods of trying to achieve their agendas. After a while, we tend to get a sixth sense and initial posts often have certain pongs that just don't smell right. Occasionally we misread one, but most of the time we're pretty astute. Normally, if we've pegged them right, they don't return. The others usually come back, as you have. The style of writing was the trigger that set off the curiosity that led to the search for info. If we were sure you were going to be soliciting you wouldn't have had a chance to reply, hence the warning only. Welcome aboard. Just saying we run a pretty tight ship, or at least we try to.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BenjaminTeh

Post by BenjaminTeh » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 10:04 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Benjamin Teh, we have seen all kinds of people on this board who come on here with different agendas and methods of trying to achieve their agendas. After a while, we tend to get a sixth sense and initial posts often have certain pongs that just don't smell right. Occasionally we misread one, but most of the time we're pretty astute. Normally, if we've pegged them right, they don't return. The others usually come back, as you have. The style of writing was the trigger that set off the curiosity that led to the search for info. If we were sure you were going to be soliciting you wouldn't have had a chance to reply, hence the warning only. Welcome aboard. Just saying we run a pretty tight ship, or at least we try to.

Thank you for the clarification. I do understand your perspective as I've been moderator of large boards myself.

1. I am a job search & attraction trainer with my own outfit. So I do have an agenda, however, I plan to follow the rules of the board and "advertise" according to your house rules.
2. In the interim, I had no intention of "selling" my services. As a very enthusiastic LinkedIn user, I saw a LinkedIn question, so provided some perspective.

I'll make sure not to rock the boat then...

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Re: Re:

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:30 pm

BenjaminTeh wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:

Cheers..
something doesn't add up, you say you worked 10 jobs in 15 years and then 18 in 25 years, that sounds like you've changed jobs every 2.5 years or so.
It's a smart move, get a salary hike each time, loads of people want to do that but can't.
what would you advise them?
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

Vinceunstoppable

Post by Vinceunstoppable » Tue, 23 Jun 2015 7:03 pm

For what i think there's alot of reason why you might not get a job or that job !
Let's talk about me first ! I'm low graduate as low as Psle , yeah i score an average 183 for my psle all my subject is suck expect for my math having A* . After that i went to secondary school . I dropped out from school since 2nd year because :
1) I dont like to study ! Which i think study doesnt make me a living
2) Is a mess from my school which fights almost every single week which i grow bad from begin bullied
I been working since i was 14years old . helping my dad . he is a delivering man which send goods . not only 1 job he is doing but 3jobs . 3am-7am / 8am-3pm / 6pm-10pm . Is very difficult and tough for a guy who works 3differents jobs which requires energy . and i respected my dad for taking care of my family of 6 . my dad did not have any study during his days but what he earn is more than a average people $4000 and above .

so that what i learn from my dad . okay stop my story here . i want to share my point of view why you might not get a job!
1) nowadays people are more talented than you and more eduacated surely you are not good enough for that jobs
2)budget issues for the company . or i can say in another word are you worth for the salary .
3)Many things can go wrong in an interview from arriving late, dressing inappropriately, and texting during the discussions to bad-mouthing the people in your current or a former job. most important is walking into the interview unprepared yah you got it ? even if u are prepare . are you good enough ?

this is what i think . choose the job you like . choose wisely and make sure you interested in it . if not matter what line you are in make no different .

Advise Work Happy And Make Yourself Value !

joemeow

Re:

Post by joemeow » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 3:30 pm

Peacelily wrote:Hi There,

I'm looking for advice as a new arrival in Singapore seeking employment.

I found your article helpful although as standard, I follow all the rules re following instructions, enthusiastic etc.
But the problem I have is that it appears regardless of my 27 years extensive work experience and skill set I do not appear to get a look in for any role I have applied for. and recruiters are somewhat lax in returning calls and even reviewing the CV I have sent through.
Now I appreciate that they must be busy but all I want is to talk to someone to review my CV, I'm open to suggestions if they think it needs changing but I'm not even getting that far.
One problem that does concern me also is that many roles which are available and I am too experienced to apply for have a Degree/Diploma as a requirement yet experience is not necessary. I find this incredulous!
Does my work experience count for nothing? I didn't go on to further education and whilst I appreciate that the education here in Singapore is paramount, surely I'm not getting overlooked because of this...or am I?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

And just FYI I have relocated here permanently with my husband so we don't even have the worry of a 2-3 year contract to worry about!

Thanks and here's hoping :)
What kinda job you are now a days looking for dude ?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re:

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 07 Sep 2016 3:32 pm

joemeow wrote:
Peacelily wrote: And just FYI I have relocated here permanently with my husband so we don't even have the worry of a 2-3 year contract to worry about!

Thanks and here's hoping :)
What kinda job you are now a days looking for dude ?
Dudette ?

And after a year plus ?

Mathieularoche

Post by Mathieularoche » Sun, 04 Mar 2018 7:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:I've hired about 5 people in the last 6 months (all PMET or STEM)....

I've only hired people I have a first or second degree connection to .... I don't have the time to wade through interviews and these days I assume everyone's resume is full of lies, half-truths and exaggerations anyways....

So how do you find a job? Network - join every industry group you can (SPE is meeting tonight at Blu Jazz), go to every show you can (OSEA is on this week in Singapore), talk to every idiot you can (some of them are well connected)... REACH OUT and don't be so freak dismissive of contacts, advice and connections send your way.
Networking is key, I agree. But if you limit yourself to your network (first or second degree connection), I truly believe you are missing something. I would personnally not recommend to stick only with your network. Finding a good job/ a skilled candidate takes more than that I think. :-k

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Mar 2018 1:00 pm

Again, unless you know who you are addressing, it is often good not to dismiss advice. Especially if said person you are addressing has been here for close to 30 years and come up through the ranks to the point that he probably knows all the players who are worth talking to already in his connections. Especially, when he also attends all the most industry specific gatherings on an annual basis. [-X

Anyway, Welcome to the forum and welcome to Singapore. A lot of us here have been here way, way too long! :cool: :mrgreen:

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 26 Mar 2019 9:05 am

I good at Web design very muchly. I am Masters from Hdyrabad Institute of Technical Training (non accredited). I will walk around your company and bug the seniors for ideas to present as my own for less money.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!