Singapore Expats

Why you might not get that job!

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Why you might not get that job!

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 3:25 pm

I've mentioned several of these a number of times on here in answer to various queries from posters. Now somebody has writing a good article giving much the same answers........

http://sbr.com.sg/hr-education/commenta ... recruiters

While the following is true of recruiters, it is also true of in-house HR departments doing their own searches as well.
5 Reasons why you will be rejected by recruiters

As Singapore’s labour market becomes tighter, getting a good job might mean you have to work closely with a recruitment agency. That’s because today many of us are suffering from information overload from all directions.

With higher internet penetration rate around the globe, HRs is getting way too many applicants. Imagine googling for a book and it return with 100 results. No one is going to click through every single result.

Man companies have dispensed with traditional human resources departments in favour of outside recruiters. It saves to save precious time — but it also means that you have a new set of barriers to deal with.

We can be extremely picky (kind of like kids that turn up their noses at broccoli) because our reputations are on the line with each and every candidate search.

For those who might not know, recruiters scour databases and place advertisements looking for potential hires. We also do much of the screening processes that HR employees used to do. And lately recruiters also check online profiles like LinkedIn—which means you could be rejected before you even knew you were being considered.

Recruiters look for different qualities in candidates, but while each recruiter has his own preferences, there are often certain similarities in what they don’t like. By avoiding these gaffes, you can easily make yourself a much more attractive candidate.

Here are five reasons a recruiter might give you a miss for a different candidate:

Not Following Instructions

This means that if the job listing asks for a photo and you don’t include one, or if you don’t bother following other the instructions in the advertisement, you will look like someone who can’t follow directions. Pay attention to detail, and recruiters will pay attention to you.

Zero Enthusiasm

If you are contacted about a position and you sound about as thrilled as you would be if you learned about another MRT breakdown update, you will hurt your chances of getting the job. Being too laid-back can be confused for being uninterested.

So if you are interested in the job, act like it. Show some enthusiasm. You don’t have to react like a winner in the latest Toto draw but at least show that you have a heartbeat. Recruiters want to hire people who are excited about their work so that their client company will be excited about the candidate.

Beating around the Bush

Conversely, if you are not excited about the job because you’re not interested, tell us what you are thinking (after hearing what we have to say). Don’t fake enthusiasm only to turn down the position when you are given it. If you waste the recruiter’s time, he will not want to waste his on you when the next opportunity comes along.

Performing Poorly

Given the increasing number of temp and contract assignments these days, many recruiters do multiple placements for candidates. This means your entire career could be placed by a single recruiter.

So if you make a bad impression at a company where the recruiter previously placed you—calling in sick on Mondays and dropping early on Fridays—you can forget about ever getting another opportunity from that recruiter.

Disrespecting the Recruiter

Some job seekers don’t treat recruiters with the same respect they would give a potential employer. They show up for interviews looking like they just fell off their bed and don’t take things seriously. Obviously, that’s a big mistake. If you don’t treat the recruiter with the same consideration and respect you would a hiring manager, you might get passed over for the position.

Remember: if you work with a good recruiter who likes you and is on your side, you have a better chance of getting the job you seek.
Thanks Lynx,

Following is the original article before it was plagiarized.....

http://www.youtern.com/thesavvyintern/i ... me-of-day/
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 3:37 pm

I vote to sticky this.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 3:44 pm

Gramps, PM for you.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:16 pm

Nak - Done.

the lynx - Thanks, edited my post to add your link to the original.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Oct 2012 10:29 am

Another clue as to why so many Indians might non-successful in their applications.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 19826.html

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 6:00 pm

Here is something I and others on here have ranted about time and time again. Me particularly as both a recruiter AND as an HR Manager of a medium-sized local SME.

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES
http://www.malaysiaedition.net/graduate ... r-english/

At first I thought this article was about Singapore but it was picked up by a local bird cage liner and I guess they were trying to take the mickey out of their northern neighbour, but instead, I hope most saw a reflection of themselves.......

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:17 pm

Hi There,

I'm looking for advice as a new arrival in Singapore seeking employment.

I found your article helpful although as standard, I follow all the rules re following instructions, enthusiastic etc.
But the problem I have is that it appears regardless of my 27 years extensive work experience and skill set I do not appear to get a look in for any role I have applied for. and recruiters are somewhat lax in returning calls and even reviewing the CV I have sent through.
Now I appreciate that they must be busy but all I want is to talk to someone to review my CV, I'm open to suggestions if they think it needs changing but I'm not even getting that far.
One problem that does concern me also is that many roles which are available and I am too experienced to apply for have a Degree/Diploma as a requirement yet experience is not necessary. I find this incredulous!
Does my work experience count for nothing? I didn't go on to further education and whilst I appreciate that the education here in Singapore is paramount, surely I'm not getting overlooked because of this...or am I?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

And just FYI I have relocated here permanently with my husband so we don't even have the worry of a 2-3 year contract to worry about!

Thanks and here's hoping :)

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:27 pm

Peacelily wrote:Hi There,

I'm looking for advice as a new arrival in Singapore seeking employment.

I found your article helpful although as standard, I follow all the rules re following instructions, enthusiastic etc.
But the problem I have is that it appears regardless of my 27 years extensive work experience and skill set I do not appear to get a look in for any role I have applied for. and recruiters are somewhat lax in returning calls and even reviewing the CV I have sent through.
Now I appreciate that they must be busy but all I want is to talk to someone to review my CV, I'm open to suggestions if they think it needs changing but I'm not even getting that far.
One problem that does concern me also is that many roles which are available and I am too experienced to apply for have a Degree/Diploma as a requirement yet experience is not necessary. I find this incredulous!
Does my work experience count for nothing? I didn't go on to further education and whilst I appreciate that the education here in Singapore is paramount, surely I'm not getting overlooked because of this...or am I?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

And just FYI I have relocated here permanently with my husband so we don't even have the worry of a 2-3 year contract to worry about!

Thanks and here's hoping :)
What sort of job are you looking for?

I'd recommend pulling enquiries via LinkedIn. Offshoreoildude wrote a post on it.

Peacelily

Post by Peacelily » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:45 pm

Hi,

I have experience in 2 verticals, Banking and Telecommunications from a Sales Support/Operational/Service Delivery/Team leader/Billing Analyst perspective...quite a varied skill set which to be honest could be used across many verticals.
I've applied for roles using Linkedin but I will look at what you have suggested also.

Many Thanks

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 1:34 pm

Peacelily wrote:Hi,

I have experience in 2 verticals, Banking and Telecommunications from a Sales Support/Operational/Service Delivery/Team leader/Billing Analyst perspective...quite a varied skill set which to be honest could be used across many verticals.
I've applied for roles using Linkedin but I will look at what you have suggested also.

Many Thanks
Recruiters here are lazy - they sit in front of linked in typing in keywords hoping to hit a target. Pay the fee (job searcher), fix your keywords and make it easy for them.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 06 Sep 2013 10:27 pm

Peacelily wrote:Hi,

Many Thanks
All the types of jobs that are being offshored from Singapore just as quickly as they can find the right services in lower cost countries.

bongirl
Regular
Regular

Post by bongirl » Sun, 27 Oct 2013 3:13 pm

wahh good post. Thanks

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:14 am

more info on getting your resume looked at more often would be helpful

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:40 am

AndrewV wrote:more info on getting your resume looked at more often would be helpful
LinkedIn. Network (the old fashioned way) to meet people who can get your resume in front of someone's face.

Strong Eagle

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 30 Sep 2014 11:41 am

AndrewV wrote:more info on getting your resume looked at more often would be helpful
Isn't that the truth... and if you came up with the way to do it, you'd probably make a lot of money.