Singapore Expats

Is 22 degrees comfortable for you?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Is 22 degrees comfortable for you?

Post by NorrinRadd » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 9:31 pm

Went to the cinema Saturday eve.

After yet another uncomfortable experience trying to watch a movie and halfway though being too cold to enjoy it any longer, I'll ask the question:

Does anyone actually like the amount of refrigeration er air conditioning in cinemas here, or is it just too damn cold?

The nonsensical rationale I get when enquiring is that they set it at 22, sometimes lower, to compensate for the people in the room warming it up.

Guess what - it never happens.

Also, I've never been in a cinema in Singapore that was too warm, but more often than not, too cold or way too cold.

I have more to say on this pending any responses.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:38 pm

Whenever my girlfriend and I watch a movie in Singapore, I bring a fleece blanket.

Cinemas are too cold...and if you have drinks, a pee inductor.

EDIT: change opinion upon further thought.
Last edited by nakatago on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:04 pm

interesting. 22 degrees is just nice for me. just nice for me to be in bed without any blanket, and on the production floor without breaking a sweat.

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:26 pm

My nose, ears, and hands were icy cold, that just isn't right.

So 2 for it being too cold, 1 against - I'd be interested in a larger sampling, then I have something to day about it.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:33 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:My nose, ears, and hands were icy cold, that just isn't right.

So 2 for it being too cold, 1 against - I'd be interested in a larger sampling, then I have something to day about it.
Upon thinking about it some more, I reckon the thermostat only says 22. A lot of buildings here have airconditioners that seem to have only two settings: very hot and very cold. Our office is one.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:34 pm

I keep my office at 22 degrees and don't even go out for lunch so I am there from around 8 am till at least 6 pm. Doesn't bother me.

For the record, it get to be 22 degrees and even 20 degrees during the monsoons here at nights. Love it when that happens as it's so comfortable as I don't have Aircon in my house.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:35 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I keep my office at 22 degrees and don't even go out for lunch so I am there from around 8 am till at least 6 pm. Doesn't bother me.

For the record, it get to be 22 degrees and even 20 degrees during the monsoons here at nights. Love it when that happens as it's so comfortable as I don't have Aircon in my house.
Haha what a good way to save money on electricity while enjoying less sweat for most of the day :P :P :P

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:46 am

Go to Jcube at Jurong East, no chance of getting too cold there, you will sweat your tits off because it appears they don't bother with piffling things called aircon, maybe they think the ice rink below is keeping the cinema cool :roll:

Golden village at great world city is the worst for getting cold, it's gets arctic in there so much that we stopped going
I HAVE MASTERS!

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 9:55 am

JayCee wrote:Go to Jcube at Jurong East, no chance of getting too cold there, you will sweat your tits off because it appears they don't bother with piffling things called aircon, maybe they think the ice rink below is keeping the cinema cool :roll:
Same problem with the new mall at BV MRT station called The Star.

"Open-air concept"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:18 am

It's an Asian thing...

Waaah! Got aircon!
\
Ah Pei

Yeah lah! Want to try?
\
Ah Siang

Can lah! Make cold!
\
Ah Pei

(Ah Sing winds the thermostat down a bit but thinks the room will instantly cool)

No got cold? Make faster can?
\
Ah Pei

(Ah Sing, in a delirious rage to prove that he DOES have aircon - winds the thermostart to 18 - and leaves it there).
Now I'm called PNGMK

iNick

Post by iNick » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:35 am

I'm from Holland so everything that is 20 or above feels good to me ;)

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:45 pm

Yep, that's the one - GV at GWC.

We're going to stop going there, last time I was at the Lido it was much more comfortable.

And re 22 degrees as the setting vs. the actual temp, as with most 'climate control' it's not very accurate and it's probably colder than 22. I'm from the cold climate and it's not comfortable for me, not even with 3 layers of shirts and long trousers.

So JayCee - did you complain about it to their on-shift manager?

This was to be my second point - I hear more people than not complaining about coldness in offices and cinemas here, but I wonder how many try to do something about it.

I know of people, myself included, who have complained and got a refund. If more do this, it just might change, especially with the monetary impact.

For those who don't like it - have you complained, have you requested a refund?

JayCee wrote:Go to Jcube at Jurong East, no chance of getting too cold there, you will sweat your tits off because it appears they don't bother with piffling things called aircon, maybe they think the ice rink below is keeping the cinema cool :roll:

Golden village at great world city is the worst for getting cold, it's gets arctic in there so much that we stopped going

v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Is 22 degrees comfortable for you?

Post by v4jr4 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:57 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:Went to the cinema Saturday eve.

After yet another uncomfortable experience trying to watch a movie and halfway though being too cold to enjoy it any longer, I'll ask the question:

Does anyone actually like the amount of refrigeration er air conditioning in cinemas here, or is it just too damn cold?

The nonsensical rationale I get when enquiring is that they set it at 22, sometimes lower, to compensate for the people in the room warming it up.

Guess what - it never happens.

Also, I've never been in a cinema in Singapore that was too warm, but more often than not, too cold or way too cold.

I have more to say on this pending any responses.
Well, I'm pretty much comfortable with it.
"Budget Expat"

NorrinRadd
Regular
Regular

Post by NorrinRadd » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 4:59 pm

v4jr4 - have you been to place JayCee and I mentioned?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 5:09 pm

NorrinRadd wrote:v4jr4 - have you been to place JayCee and I mentioned?
StreetView, for reference. FWIW, the place's got nice reviews.