Singapore Expats

Help Identify This Criminal

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 12:48 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
x9200 wrote:BTW, what this woman did was an assault :)
Assault is allowable as a response in self-defense in Singapore. She was offended (an offense as I have established). She had a perfectly good reason to respond with violence in a limited and controlled manner in order to stop the offense on her and her child - which she appears to have done. I doubt any SPF officer would charge her. Sucks to be the OP - maybe he needs to get a life.
You say she was offended. I say she acted completely inadequately and disproportionally to the situation and if any charge would be press under such circumstances (assuming there is no 2nd bottom for this whole story) especially under any modesty offence related charges the Singapore law would make a joke out of itself if this surfaces internationally. Again, I would be happy to see any documented case ruling somebody guilty in case he/she took a photo of somebody in a public place in a scenario similar to this in the video.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 4:27 pm

x9200 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Assault is allowable as a response in self-defense in Singapore. She was offended (an offense as I have established). She had a perfectly good reason to respond with violence in a limited and controlled manner in order to stop the offense on her and her child - which she appears to have done. I doubt any SPF officer would charge her. Sucks to be the OP - maybe he needs to get a life.
You say she was offended. I say she acted completely inadequately and disproportionally to the situation and if any charge would be press under such circumstances (assuming there is no 2nd bottom for this whole story) especially under any modesty offence related charges the Singapore law would make a joke out of itself if this surfaces internationally. Again, I would be happy to see any documented case ruling somebody guilty in case he/she took a photo of somebody in a public place in a scenario similar to this in the video.
Well, how do you know he's not a perv? What had he said before this? Never get between a mama bear and her cubs I say. Too many freaks hanging out in SE Asia ogling children. I would have whacked him upside the head personally. Stay away from my babies if you know what's good for you...

OP, why are you posting this here? You a perv stalking some poor kid? I'm thinking we should flip this to the police.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 4:52 pm

movingtospore wrote:Well, how do you know he's not a perv? Too many freaks hanging out in SE Asia ogling children. I would have whacked him upside the head personally. Stay away from my babies if you know what's good for you...
If you see a pervert in every person taking photos in public, crowded place of a woman with a child then I am truly sorry for you. You've been thoroughly brainwashed by the media and populist politicians not only from basic instincts but also from common sense. People like you do eventually more damage, than passive bystanders. One thing is to be alerted, another to take justice in your own hands without any single proof of any wrong doing but what looks like a well developed paranoia.
If you have some doubts about the person find or call the police or take a photo yourself and report him. I have a kid myself and I hope I will never act like you.

QueensG

Post by QueensG » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 5:10 pm

x9200 wrote:I have a kid myself and I hope I will never act like you.
Thanks. I am not a parent yet, but it's good to see that it still is possible to love one's children (I assume you do 8-) ) without defaulting to the hysterical paranoid approach. Really disgusting how more and more parents turn to it, not to mention that it seems to be mandatory for anyone who is working with children.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 5:11 pm

OP - your name isn't Jimmy Savile is it?

(sorry couldn't resist, any Brits on here will understand)

Seriously though, there is more to this than meets the eye I think. You see people filming stuff all the time in Singapore, so why did that young guy run up to the camera and give it the finger, and then why did another young guy come in and say something to the cameraman and then the old woman try and grab his phone. This guy filming has done something first, no way would 3 separate people be coming up to him like that if he was just innocently filming people walking along on a busy street
Last edited by JayCee on Fri, 12 Oct 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I HAVE MASTERS!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 5:13 pm

x9200 wrote:If you see a pervert in every person taking photos in public, crowded place of a woman with a child then I am truly sorry for you. You've been thoroughly brainwashed by the media and populist politicians not only from basic instincts but also from common sense. People like you do eventually more damage, than passive bystanders. One thing is to be alerted, another to take justice in your own hands without any single proof of any wrong doing but what looks like a well developed paranoia.
Unfortunately, this has become the case in the UK IIRC those articles I've read. A man was reported to the police for taking pictures of his child playing the playground with other children.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 6:23 pm

JayCee wrote:OP - your name isn't Jimmy Savile is it?

I ain't no brit, And I didn't remove Cigar Chomping Jimmy's Headstone ..
Seriously though, there is more to this than meets the eye I think. You see people filming stuff all the time in Singapore, so why did that young guy run up to the camera and give it the finger, and then why did another young guy come in and say something to the cameraman and then the old woman try and grab his phone. This guy filming has done something first, no way would 3 separate people be coming up to him like that if he was just innocently filming people walking along on a busy street
The power of media ..

You only show what will get people excited .. and leave out the part where you provoke that kind of response .. in the first place .. for example ..

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 6:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:

The power of media ..

You only show what will get people excited .. and leave out the part where you provoke that kind of response .. in the first place .. for example ..
Saw an interesting program on that yesterday on channel 5 actually, testube I think it was called. They showed someone filming something and putting in on the net (the aunty fighting with the girl on the MRT who gave up her seat which was a big thing a few months ago was basically the story they used) and then used the program to show the background to the actual event and the state of mind both people were in on the day.

Not a bad watch, if only they didn't have George Young presenting the show, in the dictionary next to talentless is his picture, the most wooden person on tv (and in Singapore that's saying something)
I HAVE MASTERS!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 8:35 pm

ecureilx wrote:

Neither are you the OP. :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 9:30 pm

JayCee wrote:Seriously though, there is more to this than meets the eye I think. You see people filming stuff all the time in Singapore, so why did that young guy run up to the camera and give it the finger, and then why did another young guy come in and say something to the cameraman and then the old woman try and grab his phone. This guy filming has done something first, no way would 3 separate people be coming up to him like that if he was just innocently filming people walking along on a busy street
That's what I called in my post the 2nd bottom. I agree, they did not act normally. The guy with the finger fits to the OP story, the rest not that much.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 9:42 am

OSOD, I love you man. You remind me so much of myself from when I was younger. :cool: Taking definitions and interpretations of words and phrases to absurd (but technically accurate) extremes.

Can anyone comment on how Singapore's legal system treats conceptual differences between 'letter of the law' and 'spirit of the law'? OSOD's theories fall under the former, but definitely violate the later.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 9:43 am

Anyway, my humble opinion is that whether OP was 'assaulted' by the lady or if he outraged her modest is meaningless.

On Youtube, he accuses one of the subjects of the video of assaulting him, but fails to show proof. Any one of them (or all) could sue him for slander, and just take all of his money. Isn't that the Singaporean way for things like this?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 10:48 am

It will always be in a spirit unless something was meant to be enumerated. You don't expect "offended by any action" to be an objective determinant. Besides, literary interpretation gives you more than one option: offended in her own perception or offended by an external judgement, so this or that way the spirit will be decisive.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 12:12 pm

x9200 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
There have been plenty of individuals charged in Singapore for various photography related offenses - upskirts being the normal problem. She could argue she was in fear of the same thing happening to her. I don't think the Onus would be on her to prove anything - rather the photog would be the one on the back foot.
Now I'm called PNGMK

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sat, 13 Oct 2012 1:40 pm

x9200 wrote:
movingtospore wrote:Well, how do you know he's not a perv? Too many freaks hanging out in SE Asia ogling children. I would have whacked him upside the head personally. Stay away from my babies if you know what's good for you...
If you see a pervert in every person taking photos in public, crowded place of a woman with a child then I am truly sorry for you. You've been thoroughly brainwashed by the media and populist politicians not only from basic instincts but also from common sense. People like you do eventually more damage, than passive bystanders. One thing is to be alerted, another to take justice in your own hands without any single proof of any wrong doing but what looks like a well developed paranoia.
If you have some doubts about the person find or call the police or take a photo yourself and report him. I have a kid myself and I hope I will never act like you.
I think you missed the point that I was going to an extreme to make a point. The point is...you don't know what happened before this. I'm guessing this guy was warned more than a few times and got what he deserved.

I have traveled a lot in this region, and witnessed first hand the extreme victimization of children in SE Asia. Not in SP mind you, although SP is known for not doing as much as it could to prevent victimization and trafficking of women and children. But it is always well advised to be alert rather than burying your head in the sand and pretending everything is fine. There is also NOTHING wrong with telling someone to stop filming your children.