Singapore Expats Forum

PEP Appeal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 4:16 pm

revhappy wrote:
JayCee wrote:
lolipop99 wrote: and abundance of jobs opportunity. Many people I know who hop to other "greener pastures" wish they had stayed in Singapore instead. Many of them gave up PR and citizenship to migrate to the West just to realize that they cannot find a job with their existing skills and educations without local experience and connection, they are "discriminate" subtly where as in Singapore they are embrace and given the opportunities like any other local or even warmer with no CPF.


Are you sure this is Singapore you're talking about? :? This place has discrimination everywhere, just because the drone MPs constantly bang on and on about 'racial harmony' in an attempt to convince people that it exists, doesn't mean it actually does


He was talking about job prospects for foreigners and the climate towards them, I have to say that inspite of the recent furore going on against foreigners, It's still "relatively"better here, because all forms of foreigner bashing happen in the cyberspace and not in the physical space like in those traditional greener pastures. Also inspite of all the tightening SG still is the easiest countries of all and by a far far bigger margin at that, in terms of job prospects for foreigners vis a vis the locals and also on an absolute basis.


I disagree about the foreigner bashing only being in cyberspace, go to any coffee shop or food court and you can hear it going on. I've heard of more than one or two altercations of groups of younger locals deciding to beat up the foreigner at places like chijmes and boat quay too, so I don't think it's only limited to verbal abuse either. The difference between here and somewhere like the UK is that people are prosecuted there, even if they make racist statements in cyberspace. Here it seems like people get away with most things scot-free (mostly due to the completely incompetent police force and system they work under).

Safety is still nothing like as bad as it could get in Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines etc.. but I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and think this place is a utopia either.

Regarding job opportunities - depends on the industry you work in I guess, but I personally find the job market very small and limited here compared to London, I've been interested in maybe moving for over 2 years but this place is dead.
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Re: PEP Appeal

Postby Mi Amigo » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 5:18 pm

rajesh.sg wrote:Hello,

I will be applying for PEP. This query is not regarding credentials et al. which is clear. Taking in account today's economy and environment, one has to be ready for all eventualities, for a rejection also. I am keen to know the recourse for Appeal for PEP rejections.

Rajesh,

On the one hand I admire your attitude of 'planning ahead' to some extent, but as you haven't actually applied yet it does look like you are putting the cart before the horse somewhat. If I were you I would concentrate on your application and give that your best shot. There are quite a few threads on here that are probably worth seeking out, in terms of what additional supporting documents you might want to include, etc. My point is that if you do that and submit as complete an application as you can, then the MOM will have all they need to make an accurate assessment. If things don't go your way and you are rejected, I wouldn't see much point in immediately appealing - the MOM would then probably take the view that nothing much could have (really) materially changed in the interim.

Good luck.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 5:25 pm

JayCee wrote:I disagree about the foreigner bashing only being in cyberspace, go to any coffee shop or food court and you can hear it going on. I've heard of more than one or two altercations of groups of younger locals deciding to beat up the foreigner at places like chijmes and boat quay too, so I don't think it's only limited to verbal abuse either.


Beating up foreigners in Chijmes and Boat Quay has always been a past time of Natives .. or pseudo natives (no kidding - as I know a lot of non-Singaporeans venting their steam on some unlucky foreigner while pretending to be a local .. )

Ah, add Clark Quay as well ..


Well - in reality, if you are behave like Romans, when in Rome, nobody bothers ..

Recently, I was with some SG Friends working in bars, when the topic was about certain Foreign women behaving like they own the place .. and behaving like bullys on the local girls .. and on it went to 'kick those foreigners out .. and why do they come here and show off their love and affection in public .. instead of doing it back in their country .. ' (cue XiaXue's rants .. )


... and I casually mentioned to my friends if they forgot that I am a foreigner as well ..

pat came the reply "no lah, we never consider you foreigner .... you are like one of us what - .... I rather trust you than a new FT "

Wordless .. and well, I have my share of having said the wrong stuff at the wrong time ... but I guess I have learned a lot ....

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 7:27 pm

I was never an object of anti-foreigner attacks of any kind (well, once somebody said when passing by near us "bloody imperialists" :) ) but funny enough I already acted a few times as a kind of agony aunt listening to some complains about more recent intakes of the foreigners. Before that I was typically assured that I belong to a different kind.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 7:57 pm

Due in part to 20 years of being a part time actor for SBC/TCS/MediaCorp and MediaWorks, my mug is rather recognizable within the local Chinese community especially among the Chinese educated and middle aged/recently retired. That and almost five years of being in the Grassroots organizations and living in an HDB for 14 years, I'm assumed to be a citizen and most are shocked that I'm not. But yeah, I'm pretty much assimilated and "no we don't mean you!".

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Re: PEP Appeal

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:53 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
rajesh.sg wrote:Hello,

I will be applying for PEP. This query is not regarding credentials et al. which is clear. Taking in account today's economy and environment, one has to be ready for all eventualities, for a rejection also. I am keen to know the recourse for Appeal for PEP rejections.

Rajesh,

On the one hand I admire your attitude of 'planning ahead' to some extent, but as you haven't actually applied yet it does look like you are putting the cart before the horse somewhat. If I were you I would concentrate on your application and give that your best shot. There are quite a few threads on here that are probably worth seeking out, in terms of what additional supporting documents you might want to include, etc. My point is that if you do that and submit as complete an application as you can, then the MOM will have all they need to make an accurate assessment. If things don't go your way and you are rejected, I wouldn't see much point in immediately appealing - the MOM would then probably take the view that nothing much could have (really) materially changed in the interim.

Good luck.


Mi Amigo is correct. You really need to genuinely not try to 'game' the system - the sentiment seems to be that will get your application trashed. Don't use an agent either.
Now I'm called PNGMK

rajesh.sg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri, 07 Sep 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajesh.sg » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:26 am

Thanks a lot Mi Amigo and offshoreoildude for your valuable inputs. I am focusing on putting up the application complete with all relevant and supporting docs, using the DRIFT -Do it RIght the First Time principle :) One chance, one step at a time- will give the best shot. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks everyone!

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Postby vishalgupta2 » Fri, 12 Oct 2012 8:55 pm

rajesh.sg wrote:Thanks a lot Mi Amigo and offshoreoildude for your valuable inputs. I am focusing on putting up the application complete with all relevant and supporting docs, using the DRIFT -Do it RIght the First Time principle :) One chance, one step at a time- will give the best shot. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks everyone!


Good luck

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 7:25 am

rajesh.sg wrote:Thanks a lot Mi Amigo and offshoreoildude for your valuable inputs. I am focusing on putting up the application complete with all relevant and supporting docs, using the DRIFT -Do it RIght the First Time principle :) One chance, one step at a time- will give the best shot. Will keep you posted on the outcome. Thanks everyone!


Good luck Rajesh. Pity you're name isn't 'Rong Ee' and you're not Chinese Race - you'd be a shoo in. IF you fail, look for greener pastures elsewhere.
Now I'm called PNGMK

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008

Postby therat » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:27 am

vishalgupta2 wrote:If this was not enough, many Indians live in their own little Indian neighborhood and never mix up.


=D>

I had a ex-colleague. When he joined the company and introduced himself.

He said.
I'm xxx (name). I'm from Brahmins.

Was he expect us (non-Indian) to know what is Brahmins?
Or he want us to treat him differently?

Note: he has stay in Singapore for some years and holding Singapore PR.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 2:11 pm

What always makes me smile are job applications where the expected or current salary is in lakhs.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 8:50 pm

therat wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:If this was not enough, many Indians live in their own little Indian neighborhood and never mix up.


=D>

I had a ex-colleague. When he joined the company and introduced himself.

He said.
I'm xxx (name). I'm from Brahmins.

Was he expect us (non-Indian) to know what is Brahmins?
Or he want us to treat him differently?

Note: he has stay in Singapore for some years and holding Singapore PR.


Well Brahmins are of high caste in Indian caste-obsessed communities (note: caste system is abolished already but there are still small group of people who just can't let go).

So it is a way to set them apart from fellow countrymen :P

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008

Postby therat » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:10 pm

the lynx wrote:
therat wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:If this was not enough, many Indians live in their own little Indian neighborhood and never mix up.


=D>

I had a ex-colleague. When he joined the company and introduced himself.

He said.
I'm xxx (name). I'm from Brahmins.

Was he expect us (non-Indian) to know what is Brahmins?
Or he want us to treat him differently?

Note: he has stay in Singapore for some years and holding Singapore PR.


Well Brahmins are of high caste in Indian caste-obsessed communities (note: caste system is abolished already but there are still small group of people who just can't let go).

So it is a way to set them apart from fellow countrymen :P


If that is the case, why left their zone and come to Singapore.
Their Brahmins status mean nothing to non-Indian.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:25 pm

therat wrote:If that is the case, why left their zone and come to Singapore.
Their Brahmins status mean nothing to non-Indian.


That's the point :wink:

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 8:30 am

therat wrote:
the lynx wrote:
therat wrote:
vishalgupta2 wrote:If this was not enough, many Indians live in their own little Indian neighborhood and never mix up.


=D>

I had a ex-colleague. When he joined the company and introduced himself.

He said.
I'm xxx (name). I'm from Brahmins.

Was he expect us (non-Indian) to know what is Brahmins?
Or he want us to treat him differently?

Note: he has stay in Singapore for some years and holding Singapore PR.


Well Brahmins are of high caste in Indian caste-obsessed communities (note: caste system is abolished already but there are still small group of people who just can't let go).

So it is a way to set them apart from fellow countrymen :P


If that is the case, why left their zone and come to Singapore.
Their Brahmins status mean nothing to non-Indian.

Same as prince or princes or Master or Phd depending on the audience - be happy and do not complain. You were blessed to receivw a warning signal all for free.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests