Singapore Expats Forum

Chances of getting PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
greymatter
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 17 Oct 2012
Location: Sg

Postby greymatter » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 3:50 pm

Thanks all for the replies!

No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.

Also going US at this stage of career is indeed stupid, have to start all over again.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 18 Oct 2012 3:50 pm

lolipop99 wrote:Doctor has high chance of getting PR, Singapore is short of medical professionals and they are trying hard to attract oversea doctors here so I would say may get PR or citizenship very fast. ...


Not true, unless you are the flavour of the month for SMC :)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 9:39 am

greymatter wrote:Thanks all for the replies!

No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.

Also going US at this stage of career is indeed stupid, have to start all over again.


Not at all, why do you think Singapore became a stepping stone? It's just another brick in the wall of experience for so many.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 9:47 am

greymatter wrote:No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.


And after 2016?
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 10:03 am

v4jr4 wrote:
greymatter wrote:No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.


And after 2016?


He'll be thinking of SC passport and how the special category H1B1 visa allocation that Singapore has under the FTA is under-utilized.
Now I'm called PNGMK

lolipop99
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun, 01 Jul 2012

Postby lolipop99 » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 2:44 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
greymatter wrote:No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.


And after 2016?


He'll be thinking of SC passport and how the special category H1B1 visa allocation that Singapore has under the FTA is under-utilized.


Why the Indians love to migrate to us so much I do not really understand, they may not even earn as much as they do here! Is this just a trendy way among Indians?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 3:57 pm

lolipop99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
greymatter wrote:No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.


And after 2016?


He'll be thinking of SC passport and how the special category H1B1 visa allocation that Singapore has under the FTA is under-utilized.


Why the Indians love to migrate to us so much I do not really understand, they may not even earn as much as they do here! Is this just a trendy way among Indians?


Family, better prospects, no corruption. The US isn't the world's largest economy without reason.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Oct 2012 5:55 pm

lolipop99 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
greymatter wrote:No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.


And after 2016?


He'll be thinking of SC passport and how the special category H1B1 visa allocation that Singapore has under the FTA is under-utilized.


Why the Indians love to migrate to us so much I do not really understand, they may not even earn as much as they do here! Is this just a trendy way among Indians?



Most any IT job will pay better in the US, and the relative cost of living is significantly lower. What would you rather buy, a 4 room resale HDB with a view of someone else's laundry, or a nice house with a yard in the burbs that all of your parents and inlaws can comfortably live in?

Actually in reality, most Indians I knew in California all rented in the same apartment complexes with each other. They weren't BAD complexes, just less expensive generally. Probably to stash as much money for the eventual return to India. And really, as much as people here bag on them, if any of you were born in India, wouldn't you try the same?

greymatter
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed, 17 Oct 2012
Location: Sg

Postby greymatter » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:27 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
greymatter wrote:Thanks all for the replies!

No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.

Also going US at this stage of career is indeed stupid, have to start all over again.


Not at all, why do you think Singapore became a stepping stone? It's just another brick in the wall of experience for so many.


Not really

Medical career doesnt work like that.

If I do junior residency here and then do senior residency here ( 7 years ) and then if I go to US i have to start all over again as a junior resident as NONE of the training here in singapore is recognized in US. It may be just counted as medical experience but that doesn't add to anything and is of not much value in US.

Only MBBS is recognized elsewhere.

So after becoming a consultant here and going US to become a medical officer is not worth it.

So if i had plans to go to US I would have done it earlier in the career rather that later

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 1:00 pm

greymatter wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
greymatter wrote:Thanks all for the replies!

No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.

Also going US at this stage of career is indeed stupid, have to start all over again.


Not at all, why do you think Singapore became a stepping stone? It's just another brick in the wall of experience for so many.


Not really

Medical career doesnt work like that.

If I do junior residency here and then do senior residency here ( 7 years ) and then if I go to US i have to start all over again as a junior resident as NONE of the training here in singapore is recognized in US. It may be just counted as medical experience but that doesn't add to anything and is of not much value in US.

Only MBBS is recognized elsewhere.

So after becoming a consultant here and going US to become a medical officer is not worth it.

So if i had plans to go to US I would have done it earlier in the career rather that later


True. Except you're right next to the PI which offers US recognized programs to fix that.
Now I'm called PNGMK

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed, 18 Apr 2012

Postby vishalgupta2 » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 2:17 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
greymatter wrote:No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.


And after 2016?


He'll be thinking of SC passport and how the special category H1B1 visa allocation that Singapore has under the FTA is under-utilized.


H1 is NOT really a big pain, the biggest benefit you can get with a Singapore Passport is that EB2 Singapore is current.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 2:25 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
greymatter wrote:No, not going to go to US, wife is doing PhD till 2016, by that time i would be settled in career here.


And after 2016?


He'll be thinking of SC passport and how the special category H1B1 visa allocation that Singapore has under the FTA is under-utilized.


H1 is NOT really a big pain, the biggest benefit you can get with a Singapore Passport is that EB2 Singapore is current.


What's the category that Singapore has some places for under the FTA?
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sat, 20 Oct 2012 11:59 pm

ecureilx wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:Doctor has high chance of getting PR, Singapore is short of medical professionals and they are trying hard to attract oversea doctors here so I would say may get PR or citizenship very fast. ...


Not true, unless you are the flavour of the month for SMC :)


x2

i think they prefer foreign docs on some type of work visa.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 1:12 am

greymatter wrote:If I do junior residency here and then do senior residency here ( 7 years ) and then if I go to US i have to start all over again as a junior resident as NONE of the training here in singapore is recognized in US. It may be just counted as medical experience but that doesn't add to anything and is of not much value in US.

Only MBBS is recognized elsewhere.

So after becoming a consultant here and going US to become a medical officer is not worth it.

So if i had plans to go to US I would have done it earlier in the career rather that later


you've probably been here for less than 10 years.

if they've worked here, any doctor from UK/US would very much prefer to be working back home than in singapore.

the new residency program is rubbish. may i ask why did you study here instead of in the US or else where?

well, because of that you'll just have to endure your slow climb out of the AC hole that you've spent your prior years digging.

from the onset you should have known all your studies and hard work would not amount to much outside of singapore.

this is the sign of things to come, and you should have figured a way to out back then. but you didn't

i hope you're in a cluster that treat their slaves slightly better than the other 2.

with warmest regards,

taxico
$200 SMA member and hater of "auditors," hospital big wigs and the irritating singapore residency system since 2009.

p/s: it's not too late... you may try canada. their evening rounds might involve beer.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 3:50 am

taxico wrote:p/s: it's not too late... you may try canada. their evening rounds might involve beer.


Sounds like yours did! :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests