Singapore Expats

Chances of getting PR

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
greymatter

Post by greymatter » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 10:56 pm

taxico wrote:
greymatter wrote:If I do junior residency here and then do senior residency here ( 7 years ) and then if I go to US i have to start all over again as a junior resident as NONE of the training here in singapore is recognized in US. It may be just counted as medical experience but that doesn't add to anything and is of not much value in US.

Only MBBS is recognized elsewhere.

So after becoming a consultant here and going US to become a medical officer is not worth it.

So if i had plans to go to US I would have done it earlier in the career rather that later
you've probably been here for less than 10 years.

if they've worked here, any doctor from UK/US would very much prefer to be working back home than in singapore.

the new residency program is rubbish. may i ask why did you study here instead of in the US or else where?

well, because of that you'll just have to endure your slow climb out of the AC hole that you've spent your prior years digging.

from the onset you should have known all your studies and hard work would not amount to much outside of singapore.

this is the sign of things to come, and you should have figured a way to out back then. but you didn't

i hope you're in a cluster that treat their slaves slightly better than the other 2.

with warmest regards,

taxico
$200 SMA member and hater of "auditors," hospital big wigs and the irritating singapore residency system since 2009.

p/s: it's not too late... you may try canada. their evening rounds might involve beer.

My post didn't mean I was unhappy here. That was just a counter-argument.

Yes,I am aware of the problems, but I am happy. May be my priorities are different.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 21 Oct 2012 11:03 pm

greymatter wrote:
taxico wrote:
greymatter wrote:If I do junior residency here and then do senior residency here ( 7 years ) and then if I go to US i have to start all over again as a junior resident as NONE of the training here in singapore is recognized in US. It may be just counted as medical experience but that doesn't add to anything and is of not much value in US.

Only MBBS is recognized elsewhere.

So after becoming a consultant here and going US to become a medical officer is not worth it.

So if i had plans to go to US I would have done it earlier in the career rather that later
you've probably been here for less than 10 years.

if they've worked here, any doctor from UK/US would very much prefer to be working back home than in singapore.

the new residency program is rubbish. may i ask why did you study here instead of in the US or else where?

well, because of that you'll just have to endure your slow climb out of the AC hole that you've spent your prior years digging.

from the onset you should have known all your studies and hard work would not amount to much outside of singapore.

this is the sign of things to come, and you should have figured a way to out back then. but you didn't

i hope you're in a cluster that treat their slaves slightly better than the other 2.

with warmest regards,

taxico
$200 SMA member and hater of "auditors," hospital big wigs and the irritating singapore residency system since 2009.

p/s: it's not too late... you may try canada. their evening rounds might involve beer.

Yes,I am aware of the problems, but I am happy. May be my priorities are different.
Good to know. What happens if your wife doesn't get her PhD though?
Now I'm called PNGMK

greymatter

Post by greymatter » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:25 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
greymatter wrote:
taxico wrote: you've probably been here for less than 10 years.

with warmest regards,

taxico

She is doing her PhD now. U mean if she doesnt get the degree? havent thought about that. She likes NTU very much and likes the work, so dont really find a reson for why that question should arise..

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:58 am

greymatter wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
greymatter wrote:

She is doing her PhD now. U mean if she doesnt get the degree? havent thought about that. She likes NTU very much and likes the work, so dont really find a reson for why that question should arise..
A third to half of PHD students 'fail' worldwide. Not sure about Singapore - I guess if she's paid the fees they'll let her pass (and we wonder why Singapore U's are rated so poorly). All I'm saying is 'plans of mice and men are subject to change'.
Now I'm called PNGMK

greymatter

Post by greymatter » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 11:04 am

Applied for PR in Sep 2012 , had a male child in between, applied for PR for him too in Sep 2013. No reply yet.

Indian, almost 6 years, doctor , 120 K
Wife Indian, 2 years PhD student

My colleague who is Indian applied end of last year and got PR within few months, he is a doctor, only difference is that he has a condo. No children.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 1:28 pm

greymatter wrote:Applied for PR in Sep 2012 , had a male child in between, applied for PR for him too in Sep 2013. No reply yet.

Indian, almost 6 years, doctor , 120 K
Wife Indian, 2 years PhD student

My colleague who is Indian applied end of last year and got PR within few months, he is a doctor, only difference is that he has a condo. No children.
medical doctor?

greymatter

Post by greymatter » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 7:18 pm

Yup

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Mon, 10 Mar 2014 9:22 pm

greymatter wrote:Yup
medical doctors don't get any one up for PR ......

just my 2 cents ... just wait, but since you applied in 2012 seems bit long though ...