Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore citizenship rejected. Shall I appeal?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:05 pm

Yes, appeal, why not!? It shows you really want it! What's the worst that can happen? They reject you again?

Good Luck!
nutnut

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:07 pm

Well, considering OSOD's original comment was tongue-in-cheek and sensei_ is also an Ozzie (albeit a naturalized one), I reckon they can have at each other all they want - tongue-in-cheek or where every they want it.

:lol:

Olympic2012
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 10 Oct 2012

Postby Olympic2012 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:10 pm

nutnut wrote:Yes, appeal, why not!? It shows you really want it! What's the worst that can happen? They reject you again?

Good Luck!


What additional document shall I furnish during my appeal which might add value to my application.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:18 pm

Olympic2012 wrote:
nutnut wrote:Yes, appeal, why not!? It shows you really want it! What's the worst that can happen? They reject you again?

Good Luck!


What additional document shall I furnish during my appeal which might add value to my application.


Addtional qualification, preferably a PhD. Birth certificates for your recently born male cannon fodder. A property title for your recently purchased Singapore property.
Now I'm called PNGMK

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:19 pm

..
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:21 pm

I reckon OP waited too late to apply for citizenship. From my thinking, I would say that the government is thinking "why, after 8.5 years is this guy all of a sudden wanting citizenship? Is he afraid of not having his REP renewed or only renewed for a year in order to put him back to EP status? (which might be happening to a lot of certain PRs who have not taken up citizenship after a long period of time and are not married to a local citizen).

I don't know. Other than ethnicity, I see no other reason for rejection. But if you read between MS's lines, 8 months ago, it is starting to make sense. Why, if the spouse isn't a citizen, has a couple with PR over 6 years, made the decision to take up citizenship now? Would be interesting to see the effects of an appeal. I'd go for it if he's serious about citizenship. But I'd appeal with an appeal that loaded for bear.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:26 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I reckon OP waited too late to apply for citizenship. From my thinking, I would say that the government is thinking "why, after 8.5 years is this guy all of a sudden wanting citizenship? Is he afraid of not having his REP renewed or only renewed for a year in order to put him back to EP status? (which might be happening to a lot of certain PRs who have not taken up citizenship after a long period of time and are not married to a local citizen).

I don't know. Other than ethnicity, I see no other reason for rejection. But if you read between MS's lines, 8 months ago, it is starting to make sense. Why, if the spouse isn't a citizen, has a couple with PR over 6 years, made the decision to take up citizenship now? Would be interesting to see the effects of an appeal. I'd go for it if he's serious about citizenship. But I'd appeal with an appeal that loaded for bear.


But wouldn't it be ideal for a PR holder to wait for his second REP renewal before he attempts for citizenship application?

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:29 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I reckon OP waited too late to apply for citizenship. From my thinking, I would say that the government is thinking "why, after 8.5 years is this guy all of a sudden wanting citizenship? Is he afraid of not having his REP renewed or only renewed for a year in order to put him back to EP status? (which might be happening to a lot of certain PRs who have not taken up citizenship after a long period of time and are not married to a local citizen).

I don't know. Other than ethnicity, I see no other reason for rejection. But if you read between MS's lines, 8 months ago, it is starting to make sense. Why, if the spouse isn't a citizen, has a couple with PR over 6 years, made the decision to take up citizenship now? Would be interesting to see the effects of an appeal. I'd go for it if he's serious about citizenship. But I'd appeal with an appeal that loaded for bear.


My wild guess? OP has no baby-boy.
But can it be the reason?
"Budget Expat"

Olympic2012
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 10 Oct 2012

Postby Olympic2012 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 5:55 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
Olympic2012 wrote:
nutnut wrote:Yes, appeal, why not!? It shows you really want it! What's the worst that can happen? They reject you again?

Good Luck!


What additional document shall I furnish during my appeal which might add value to my application.


Addtional qualification, preferably a PhD. Birth certificates for your recently born male cannon fodder. A property title for your recently purchased Singapore property.


Thanks, I have already submitted my MBA certificate, my son's birth cert ( he is 3 years now), got only one property where we have been residing for last 5 years. Will again mention all these in my application.
For those who wants to know as why I am applying for citizenship now is that my daughter is in P1 now and she has very well adjusted in school. She is totally Singaporean as she has stayed here since her birth and doing good in school. Its our home since last decade and always wanted to stay here. we wanted to apply citizenship earlier but were not sure of the kids. So took time to apply but seems like its kind of late.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 6:53 pm

..
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34786
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 10:29 pm

Olympic2012 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
Olympic2012 wrote:
nutnut wrote:Yes, appeal, why not!? It shows you really want it! What's the worst that can happen? They reject you again?

Good Luck!


What additional document shall I furnish during my appeal which might add value to my application.


Addtional qualification, preferably a PhD. Birth certificates for your recently born male cannon fodder. A property title for your recently purchased Singapore property.


Thanks, I have already submitted my MBA certificate, my son's birth cert ( he is 3 years now), got only one property where we have been residing for last 5 years. Will again mention all these in my application.
For those who wants to know as why I am applying for citizenship now is that my daughter is in P1 now and she has very well adjusted in school. She is totally Singaporean as she has stayed here since her birth and doing good in school. Its our home since last decade and always wanted to stay here. we wanted to apply citizenship earlier but were not sure of the kids. So took time to apply but seems like its kind of late.


Are you insinuating you son hasn't? I only ask as you placed emphasis on the fact that shes stayed here since birth.

As you have been here for a decade and your son is only three, I'm not quite sure how you are sure of the kids if one is only thee? Just something doesn't sound right. Maybe I'm missing something. Not sure what it is though. I'd reapply/appeal and go in, as I mentioned before, loaded for bear. Document everything you can in black & white. Not trying to pry, but just trying to figure out their angle.

Having said that, our RC chairman told me tonight (and he's a business owner as well) that it's going to get even worse, but he's not allowed to elaborate! :x

Olympic2012
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 10 Oct 2012

Postby Olympic2012 » Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:11 pm

Dear Sundaymorningstaple

The reason I emphasis for my daughter is b'coz she is 7 now and has been attending the local school and is getting well with all her friends. She pretty happy with her school and friends. On the other hand my son is only 3 and goes to a play school for couple of hours. He does of understand much and is happy with everything that comes his way. But since my daughter can gel easily in school, we are sure that the boy will also cope up with the school pressure and make friends in school.
Hope this explains.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 7:19 am

Olympic2012 wrote:Dear Sundaymorningstaple

The reason I emphasis for my daughter is b'coz she is 7 now and has been attending the local school and is getting well with all her friends. She pretty happy with her school and friends. On the other hand my son is only 3 and goes to a play school for couple of hours. He does of understand much and is happy with everything that comes his way. But since my daughter can gel easily in school, we are sure that the boy will also cope up with the school pressure and make friends in school.
Hope this explains.


My advice is, as always, to take your skills and money elsewhere if you feel that they are not being valued in Singapore. The sooner your do it, the easier it will be for your children to re-adjust.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 232
Joined: Sun, 31 Jul 2011
Location: Perth, Australia

Postby sensei_ » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 8:41 am

nakatago wrote:From what I recall said Indian student who was stabbed was walking through a bad part of the city with his expensive electronics visible. So, ordinary street crime was blown out of proportion into racist attacks.


+1. Also you have to understand that indians speak better english than other migrants so naturally they are more employable and hence work night shifts which puts themselves at greater risk

sundaymorningstaple wrote:sensei_ is also an Ozzie (albeit a naturalized one), :lol:


you just dont get it do you. im about as aussie as vegemite and you still think im a naturalised australian. :roll: :roll:

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 8:51 am

sensei_ wrote:
nakatago wrote:From what I recall said Indian student who was stabbed was walking through a bad part of the city with his expensive electronics visible. So, ordinary street crime was blown out of proportion into racist attacks.


+1. Also you have to understand that indians speak better english than other migrants so naturally they are more employable and hence work night shifts which puts themselves at greater risk

sundaymorningstaple wrote:sensei_ is also an Ozzie (albeit a naturalized one), :lol:


you just dont get it do you. im about as aussie as vegemite and you still think im a naturalised australian. :roll: :roll:


Indians are valued migrants in Australia from what I have seen.
Now I'm called PNGMK


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests