Singapore Expats Forum

Avondale Grammer School Review

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

vanessabrooker

Avondale Grammer School Review

Postby vanessabrooker » Sat, 06 Oct 2012 8:10 am

Hi,

Does anyone have any personal experience with Avondale GS? We are considering sending our children there next year and would like to know if anyone has any information they can provide on the school. Most of our other choices are not available but Avondale has places for our three children. Any information on the school would be greatly appreciated.

elspike

Postby elspike » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 9:11 pm

Hi Vanessa,

This is my comment to another in the forum about 6 months ago:

"We did consider Avondale. As I said in the above linked post, we visited them and had a tour. It definitely has a more small community primary school feel to it. The staff are nice and were welcoming to visitors. The school is based out of a converted office building and the rooms are very strangely laid out which threw us off a bit, and after seeing the facilities at AIS which was designed as a school from the ground up it was quite striking a difference."

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. I can't recommend you visiting Singapore and spending a couple of days visiting schools enough. It is too big a decision not to do the full due diligence. What I find acceptable, and what I think makes a great school, are probably going to be different to you. Sending 3 kids to a private school is going to set you back at least 60k a year. 3k to fly up and spend a few days is a tiny fraction of that, or better yet, get your company to pay for it ;-)

Cheers
elSpike