Singapore Expats

PR REJECTED - UK EXPAT

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

PR REJECTED - UK EXPAT

Post by martincymru » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 1:38 pm

Questions

If you work for a company controlled by the Sg government (through Temasik) then does it influence PR application?

If I apply again for PR in one year do I have to submit all the back-up paperwork again?

If you have PEP pass now then at renewal what pass will you get? Do you need to “apply”

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 1:42 pm

Being single and 55, they probably don't see you being of more value to Singapore if you are a PR. No son, no additional cannon fodder in NS. You can try to apply for EP after your PEP expires.

That said, please don't post multiple times and don't solicit for business. Your other posts were deleted.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 3:02 pm

Did you rejection letter tell you to re-apply at a later date or invite you to continue working in Singapore? Or say anything else?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: PR REJECTED - UK EXPAT

Post by JayCee » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 3:33 pm

martincymru wrote:Questions

If you work for a company controlled by the Sg government (through Temasik) then does it influence PR application?
Unless you're chummy with Ho Ching and going to Lee family functions, probably not.
If I apply again for PR in one year do I have to submit all the back-up paperwork again?
Every application is a new application hence you have to follow the instructions again, seems a bit daft but it's their playground and their ball
If you have PEP pass now then at renewal what pass will you get? Do you need to “apply”
I HAVE MASTERS!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 4:02 pm

Your nationality doesn't help either.
Now I'm called PNGMK

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Oct 2012 4:21 pm

In fact, if you are a caucasian, it could very well be to your detriment unless you are financially "very" well off or investing heavily in Singapore's infrastructure, simply because they wonder how well you will be able to "assimilate" or if you are dreaming of being from the subcontinent and just marking time here. :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

Post by martincymru » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 8:35 am

I may apply as a fresh/new application in say 1 or 2 years time (say) but have no idea as to the ideal moment in time that will more likely achieve a positive result. Very tedious to repeat same old history/ paperwork/ interview etc.
My question though is....
Surely ICA have a moral/ethical responsibility to inform, even in the vaguest terms, the reason(s) for rejection. Otherwise future applications may simply be wasting everybody's time.

The quote below is taken from their letter (I have no idea why the numeral
appears!). Comments appreciated :-

I refer to your application for permanent residence.

2 After careful assessment, we regret to inform you that your application is not successful. Nevertheless, you can continue to work and reside here on your valid Work Pass.

//
With regard to PEP I thought this is not tied to Employer? Therefore the comment "get your Employer to apply confuses me". Will MOM notify me or do I need to be pro active? what type of pass am I likely to be offered?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 8:38 am

martincymru wrote:

2 After careful assessment, we regret to inform you that your application is not successful. Nevertheless, you can continue to work and reside here on your valid Work Pass.

Sorry to say it dude, but this phrase is a death blow to any PR hopeful. Basically it means you should forget about trying it again and you have to leave after your pass expires.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 8:55 am

the lynx wrote:
martincymru wrote:

Sorry to say it dude, but this phrase is a death blow to any PR hopeful. Basically it means you should forget about trying it again and you have to leave after your pass expires.

Not necessarily. My PR rejection letter from the first time said that I went to have my EP renewed twice.

Then again, I was drunk that night I read the letter.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 9:01 am

nakatago wrote:
the lynx wrote:
martincymru wrote:

Not necessarily. My PR rejection letter from the first time said that I went to have my EP renewed twice.

Then again, I was drunk that night I read the letter.

The idea is that ICA doesn't desire you as PR. You can always remain here and renew your EP as often as MOM lets you but PR? Nope.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 9:03 am

martincymru wrote:I may apply as a fresh/new application in say 1 or 2 years time (say) but have no idea as to the ideal moment in time that will more likely achieve a positive result. Very tedious to repeat same old history/ paperwork/ interview etc.
My question though is....
Surely ICA have a moral/ethical responsibility to inform, even in the vaguest terms, the reason(s) for rejection. Otherwise future applications may simply be wasting everybody's time.

The quote below is taken from their letter (I have no idea why the numeral
appears!). Comments appreciated :-

//
With regard to PEP I thought this is not tied to Employer? Therefore the comment "get your Employer to apply confuses me". Will MOM notify me or do I need to be pro active? what type of pass am I likely to be offered?

That, sorry to say, is the kiss of death for your PR aspirations. What they are telling you is that you are, and will remain, nothing but hired help.

They are not obligated to tell you the exact reason for your rejection and there is a very practical reason for this. It's been found, especially with some applicants from 3rd world countries, that if you state the reasons, they will collect all this information and then try to create tailor made applications to enhance their chances of approval. Regardless of the amount of times we tell them that each is evaluated on an individual basis using a collection of points (of which we don't have a clue what they are), with which they determine you viability. Often they will tell someone to reapply in two years, or within 6 months (these definitely have a positive chance an maybe ICA only wants to see their "staying power" or they didn't meet the current criteria (which isn't made public as well - they keep their cards close to their collective chests). Unfortunately, yours, we have only ever hear of one time it being overturned and even then, it was from a combative newbie on here so we don't know how much was BS and how much was fact. We can only go by anecdotal evidence and thus far, in the 7 years I've been on the board, I've never heard of one ever being overturned.

So, at least, with this information, you are armed with the knowledge that any possible offers here or elsewhere that look good are worth considering as here, the position will only remain a job and not a future.

sms

edited to add the following....

From what I can see of your basic criteria, I would guess ICA's decision is based on the fact that you are already 55 and single. What could the country "gain" by giving you PR? The odds are you will remain single (if you have avoided yellow fever this long already), so you will not be adding to the TFR but making it even worse as you would be adding population that will not produce offspring. Tax dollars? They already are getting that, but additional subsidies that you would get takes back some of those tax dollars, therefore, there is no net gain for the country. You have to look at it from a Little Red Dot with limited resources point of view.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 05 Oct 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 9:10 am

They have no moral obligation to tell you anything. If the UK did the same maybe it wouldn't be such a cesspool of illegals and people flouting the benefits system! (and same for Australia - people just 'game' the system).
Now I'm called PNGMK

martincymru
Reporter
Reporter

PR REJECT/PEP EXPIRY

Post by martincymru » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 10:51 am

( 1 )
Can anyone refer me to objective data regarding Sg government's criteria as to a desirable PR. Continuing a subjective debate on this forum is of limited value.

( 2 )
The lynx; are you sure I have to leave? Do you mean a may apply to MOM and they will make a decision at that time (around July/Aug 2013 when my PEP expires).
your quote:
" Sorry to say it dude, but this phrase is a death blow to any PR hopeful. Basically it means you should forget about trying it again and you have to leave after your pass expires".

( 3 )
My earlier post remains unanswered:-
With regard to PEP (expires Aug 2013) I thought this is not tied to Employer? Therefore the comment by forum "get your Employer to apply" confuses me. Will MOM notify me or do I need to be pro active and apply? If so what time period before expiry? what type of Pass am I likely to be offered?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Re: PR REJECT/PEP EXPIRY

Post by JayCee » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:02 am

That's quite an entitlement complex and lack of manners you have there (ever heard of the words 'please' and 'thank you'?) are you sure you're British and not an Indian masters holder?
Last edited by JayCee on Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
I HAVE MASTERS!

sundaymorningstaple

Re: PR REJECT/PEP EXPIRY

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Oct 2012 11:07 am

martincymru wrote:( 1 )
Can anyone refer me to objective data regarding Sg government's criteria as to a desirable PR. Continuing a subjective debate on this forum is of limited value.

As was already pointed out to you, there is only the information that is needed "to be considered" for PR. There is no guarantee and no published data of what point and the weightage given for the reason already explained.

( 2 )
The lynx; are you sure I have to leave? Do you mean a may apply to MOM and they will make a decision at that time (around July/Aug 2013 when my PEP expires).
your quote:
" Sorry to say it dude, but this phrase is a death blow to any PR hopeful. Basically it means you should forget about trying it again and you have to leave after your pass expires".

What she means is, if your PEP, upon expiration, is not replaced by an EP of some form or another (with your salary, probably P1), you would then have to leave. The is what was meant by "your employer need to apply" as only the Employer can sponsor an EP application. Probably only a technicality but nonetheless.

( 3 )
My earlier post remains unanswered:-
With regard to PEP (expires Aug 2013) I thought this is not tied to Employer? Therefore the comment by forum "get your Employer to apply" confuses me. Will MOM notify me or do I need to be pro active and apply? If so what time period before expiry? what type of Pass am I likely to be offered?

You need to be pro-active and makes sure you employer knows well enough in advance to be able to apply for the requisite EP so as to avoid the situation whereby you are not able to work. Ideally this should be started prior to the expiry of your PEP so as to transit seamlessly to and Employment Pass from the PEP. Three months before expiry would be probably be best. (The PEP cannot be extended).