Singapore Expats Forum

Looking to form a casual vocal ensemble/group

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Ionian

Looking to form a casual vocal ensemble/group

Postby Ionian » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:27 am

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in forming a casual vocal ensemble/interest group. I was thinking more in the lines of a more social setting ala Madrigalesque (Meet together, have a meal/dessert, then have a good sing with a beer/wine/7-up in hand, etc.) I'm not really interested in any particular genre/era (although I'm sure I can find some saucy madrigals somewhere... *grinz*)Organum, Motets, Barbershop, Jazz, anything under the sun! You have it, we'll sing it!

We could meet up whenever everyone is free, have a pot luck and sing. Just rock on up, bring food/drinks/scores and enjoy the session.

How does that sound?

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 11:52 am

I was never really good at singing. I never could control my pitch...but I do like to try it some time. My sister (who is a singer) said I'm a Tenor.

Do contact me if you have some sort of gathering, and please welcome all the newbies all the time :)
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

Ionian

Postby Ionian » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 12:15 pm

Akimbo wrote:I was never really good at singing. I never could control my pitch...but I do like to try it some time. My sister (who is a singer) said I'm a Tenor.

Do contact me if you have some sort of gathering, and please welcome all the newbies all the time :)

Hi There!

*waves*

Of course! There's this Xhosa proverb, "If you can walk, you can dance. If you can talk, you can sing."

Drop me a pm whenever you're free, and hopefully we can get a singing party going on!

linges316

Postby linges316 » Sat, 06 Oct 2012 1:25 pm

Me too...I love to sing, was pretty active during my college and early working days but toned down since then...mostly into pop songs..would love to rekindle my interest again...please do invite me aight :)
~Livin' la Vida Loca!~
Lingesh Ajax Warren

n3wbiz

Postby n3wbiz » Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:15 am

Hi there, I'm not tone deaf~ does it meet the requirement? LOL!
but anyway i never had much exposure to music, it has always been mainstream after mainstreams. I'd love to listen and sing-a-long w new friends. ^_^

pnxjamie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pnxjamie » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 11:12 am

Sounds fun! Like a mini Glee club :P

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 1:02 pm

Except without the "breaking out into a song in the middle of the street with choreograph dances in front of everybody"...no no...not here in Singapore. We'll get jailed for that, if there's any stingy people complained about the..."disturbances"
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 1:36 pm

Akimbo wrote:Except without the "breaking out into a song in the middle of the street with choreograph dances in front of everybody"...no no...not here in Singapore. We'll get jailed for that, if there's any stingy people complained about the..."disturbances"

From wikipedia:

A glee club is a musical group or choir group, historically of male voices but also of female or mixed voices, which traditionally specializes in the singing of short songs—glees—by trios or quartets. In the late 19th Century it was very popular in most schools and was made a tradition to have in American High Schools from then on.

Breaking into song out of nowhere was just to make things more dramatic in the show. From my school daze, the glee club was the club where everyone sings in a group, in group uniforms and performs on stage sans dancing. Showmanship and dancing skills not required, just the ability to sing well.

With the popularity of the show, however, dancing apparently is now required.

:roll:

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 3:19 pm

I read that wiki page when I first watched the show...wanted to make a club back in my hometown, of course, now it's all just a pipe dream. (For now... :wink:)

By the way...I never thought one of the mods here actually knows about the show...(dare I say...a fan?)

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 3:32 pm

Akimbo wrote:I read that wiki page when I first watched the show...wanted to make a club back in my hometown, of course, now it's all just a pipe dream. (For now... :wink:)

By the way...I never thought one of the mods here actually knows about the show...(dare I say...a fan?)

Fan? Ewwwwww.

I know about the show because I'm sick and tired of people saying "oh, it's the song from Glee."

Kids these days; they don't know Jack S#!+ about culture. ("Damn you noisy kids; get off my lawn!")

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Akimbo » Mon, 15 Oct 2012 5:33 pm

Truth be told, I found out a lot about the old songs from Glee...not from the original...cause I never did any other research on it before. (Sorry Nak, I am one of the new kids on the block anyway... :P)

But because of that, after the show, I will try and find the original. Which are better, most of the times. Heck, I could not believe I never heard of Journey beforehand, never any Fleetwood Mac, the Safety Dance never looked for I Dreamed a Dream (other than the Susan Boyle one...) and never heard the original songs from Wicked...oh by the way...they totally sucked in the Michael Jackson tribute episode...

Well, I haven't seen the show again since that car hit Quinn...oops, spoiler :roll:

pnxjamie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby pnxjamie » Wed, 17 Oct 2012 9:44 am

Wicked is awesome :) And I do like Glee! To each his own;)

sassthemash

Postby sassthemash » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 6:41 pm

Heyyyy you guys still lookin' to form a chillout cum jammin group here?

Ionian

Postby Ionian » Tue, 26 Nov 2013 9:05 am

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the really really late replies. I've been away overseas and I recently got back to sunny sg. Now that I'm back, is anyone keen to get up and sing together?