Singapore Expats

Do I need to convert my license to purchase a car in SG?

Discuss how you can convert your foreign drivers' licence and other topics relating to drivers' licence.
screns

Do I need to convert my license to purchase a car in SG?

Post by screns » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 10:25 am

We are thinking of purchasing a car. Have been here two months and we have foreign drivers' licenses from the United States. I called a car dealer today to enquire about a car that we are interested in, and he said that to purchase a car we need to have a local license, not only for the purchase/driving but also for insurance purposes. Is this true? If so how quickly can this be converted (I know we have to take a theory test first) but is there more than that? Plus any idea roughly how much insurance would cost for two adults both 40+ for a car less than 1.6L? Thanks.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:00 am

Not true, I picked up my car before I converted the license. I did have to point the sales guy to the website that specified this though.

http://driving-in-singapore.spf.gov.sg/ ... ersion.htm

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:24 am

Correct that it is not true......the dealer I bought my car from didn't even ask. He was more than happy just to sell me it.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE