Singapore Expats

Average Ex-Pat Packages Now..

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
colio
Regular
Regular

Post by colio » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 4:45 pm

Cath C wrote:
colio wrote:
So whilst the huge expat packages over yesteryear have gone, companies do seem pretty willing to provide some good expat packages still.
From my own experience in HR with a MNC here, I was constantly amazed at some of the deals we did for expats coming here. One guy even managed to convince his boss that his rental allowance really needed to be increased because he couldn't find anywhere to live for $17K per month. :shock:
$17k/month?? Wow!! That is ridiculous.. clearly some companies are paying way more than others. So whilst my company is technically an MNC, it is not very big.. about 700 of us worldwide. Technically we are a start up in Asia even though we've been selling in Asia for the past few years. I'm happy with what I got. I know a lot of people in large MNC's like Dell, HP, etc who didn't get anywhere near what I was offered. I'm sure there are many companies offering more than what I got but there is generally always someone who is getting paid more, unless you are the CEO of a multibillion company...

It's all relative I guess & one needs to learn contentment or fall into the kiasu way & never be happy!

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 9:40 pm

Cath C wrote:
colio wrote:
So whilst the huge expat packages over yesteryear have gone, companies do seem pretty willing to provide some good expat packages still.
Glad you negotiated and got a package you're happy with. Companies (MNC's especially) will often sweeten the deal if they really need to move talent internationally. I know one finance company that dosen't officially offer expat packages, but their employees are getting school fees, housing, cars etc etc.

For anyone moving, I'd recommend asking for all those things. You stand a good chance if the company wants you to move and there aren't many other people with your skills and experience that would also be willing.

From my own experience in HR with a MNC here, I was constantly amazed at some of the deals we did for expats coming here. One guy even managed to convince his boss that his rental allowance really needed to be increased because he couldn't find anywhere to live for $17K per month. :shock:
Are you sure you are talking about 17k sgd there or is it hkd :roll:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Dec 2012 9:54 pm

We've had a long time regular on here who's been in a 12K/mo for the past 10 years or longer and it was 12K/mo 10 years ago. There are lots here in the 20~25K range but I've never stepped foot in one. :-(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Sun, 16 Dec 2012 12:28 pm

Wd40 wrote:
Cath C wrote:
colio wrote:
One guy even managed to convince his boss that his rental allowance really needed to be increased because he couldn't find anywhere to live for $17K per month. :shock:
Definitely SGD - drew up the contract myself. And after that, we had other employees come to Singapore who would say, "x is getting $17K per month" and would want their housing allowance increased. The whole thing was a can of worms. Very expensive worms....

noskich
Regular
Regular

Post by noskich » Mon, 17 Dec 2012 9:41 am

Cath C wrote:
Wd40 wrote:
Cath C wrote: One guy even managed to convince his boss that his rental allowance really needed to be increased because he couldn't find anywhere to live for $17K per month. :shock:
Definitely SGD - drew up the contract myself. And after that, we had other employees come to Singapore who would say, "x is getting $17K per month" and would want their housing allowance increased. The whole thing was a can of worms. Very expensive worms....
I`m just wondering if accommodation allowance is 17K, how much would the salary be than? :o

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 8:35 am

Cath,

We are about to move to SG. What would be a 'reasonable' housing and car allowance for an expat?

Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 12:31 pm

Insufficient data. What industry? What level in that industry?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Sat, 02 Feb 2013 1:36 pm

Asia level VP for Fortune 100 manufacturing & service industry.

Wire2801

Reduced expat packages/benefits?

Post by Wire2801 » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:23 pm

Hello,

I am a reporter with an international news agency and I am interested in writing about the changing lives of expats in Asia e.g. reduced benefits, more local terms, less allowance for housing or education etc. Would anyone be open to talking to me about it? I don't have to name your company in my story if it would make you feel more comfortable.

Please message me with your contact if you are interested.

Best.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Mar 2013 11:36 pm

At least this one is honest or at least up front (about being a reporter that is).

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 9:27 am

Do you consider migrant workers expats too?
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Wire2801

Post by Wire2801 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:15 am

I am hoping to talk to foreigners who are working for MNCs with operations in Singapore and who live in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:27 am

So, even though you work for a international news agency, your focus will be myopically centered not on expats, but more specifically a skewed focus on a subset of expats, therefore not indicative of anything at all, except maybe trying to increase readership of a certain group of people?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:33 am

Wire2801 wrote:I am hoping to talk to foreigners who are working for MNCs with operations in Singapore and who live in Singapore.
A lot of migrant workers are in that scenario. Went to Singapore, found jobs in MNCs, live in Singapore. Doesn't even make enough for a P2 pass.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 11:35 am

Wire2801, you already know it is not going well for MNCs here. You want to reconfirm it? (Singlish: double confirm)
Or you need a heartbreaking story with love polygon (triangle is not enough to be interesting anymore), tears and life lessons that we all can learn from that?