Singapore Expats

Average Ex-Pat Packages Now..

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
lowersmiths

Post by lowersmiths » Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:26 am

S$17! that's insane. we pay 2.1 for a decent place....

fx8fx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by fx8fx » Wed, 20 Mar 2013 7:39 pm

noskich wrote:
Cath C wrote:
Wd40 wrote: Are you sure you are talking about 17k sgd there or is it hkd :roll:
Definitely SGD - drew up the contract myself. And after that, we had other employees come to Singapore who would say, "x is getting $17K per month" and would want their housing allowance increased. The whole thing was a can of worms. Very expensive worms....
I`m just wondering if accommodation allowance is 17K, how much would the salary be than? :o
same question, Cath, pls adv ,thanks

and i think let company pays the rent directly is tax saving compared with housing allowance

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 1:37 pm

Base salary was $240Kpa plus 25K car allowance, schooling paid for (2 kids) and then all the normal relocation stuff - 10% allowance (so $24K) shipping home flights, home search with a reloaction agent, 4 weeks temp accommodation etc. A healthy package and comparable to ones that we did fairly regularly.

To give some context, I should also say that the roles were quite senior. The organisation has its AP hub office in Singapore, so many of the people there are doing roles that involve managing a function for the whole APAC region of around 11,000 employees.

fx8fx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by fx8fx » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 2:05 pm

Cath C wrote:Base salary was $240Kpa plus 25K car allowance, schooling paid for (2 kids) and then all the normal relocation stuff - 10% allowance (so $24K) shipping home flights, home search with a reloaction agent, 4 weeks temp accommodation etc. A healthy package and comparable to ones that we did fairly regularly.

To give some context, I should also say that the roles were quite senior. The organisation has its AP hub office in Singapore, so many of the people there are doing roles that involve managing a function for the whole APAC region of around 11,000 employees.
240k basic is very normal vs 200k housing allowance

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 2:23 pm

And that's the irony of Singapore as a "low tax" environment: you may end up paying for housing as much as you earn for living. Can we compare it with about 50% tax in France?

fx8fx
Chatter
Chatter

Post by fx8fx » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 4:24 pm

Sergei82 wrote:And that's the irony of Singapore as a "low tax" environment: you may end up paying for housing as much as you earn for living. Can we compare it with about 50% tax in France?
don't think so.

17k per month is crazy high rent imho

Cath C
Regular
Regular

Post by Cath C » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 7:58 pm

fx8fx wrote:
Yeah, it definitely is. This guy started off with a high allowance because he had a few kids and the allowance was largely based on family size. He also came from Australia, where everyone has a big backyard and wouldn't come to Singapore if he had to change his lifestyle.

I think the business could have found another candidate for the role who would have been more enthusiastic about moving to Singapore. He was good but there were other people in the succession plans with a breadth of knowledge and experience that could have done the role. A questionable business decision IMO.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Thu, 21 Mar 2013 8:40 pm

fx8fx wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:And that's the irony of Singapore as a "low tax" environment: you may end up paying for housing as much as you earn for living. Can we compare it with about 50% tax in France?
don't think so.

I mean: housing comparable with salary == 50% tax analogue - from the company's view point.