Singapore Expats Forum

Mr LKY - states that Singapore will continue with migration

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 1:29 pm

Unfortunately, from my long term views of Singapore and their PMETs, what has happened was caused directly by SME employers. Middle level PMETs were being filled with other 3rd world applicants for cost reasons, coupled with the gahmen's lax immigration policies making it possible. The local population has been played out to a large extent by their own. Local grads expecting too much (or, to be honest -- a fair wage) while the local businesses are only interested in making profits so they go get foreign PMET's and reduced rates and say the hell with the local PMETs.

While this was fine 20 years ago, it didn't happen as much as there were a lot less locals who were actually qualified and the quality of the foreign imports were quite good back then. But, as more and more locals were getting good degrees, the employers were still opting for foreigners. What rubbed everybody the wrong way, is for the past dozen years after the millennium IT push, the quality of the mid-level foreign PMETs has plummeted drastically. Most should be here at all as most couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag. Of course, we here on the forum already know that just looking at the quality of questions from "masters" holders. One cannot blame the locals for being ticked off when they see people of that caliber taking jobs that they are more than qualified for.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 1:40 pm

^^^ +1 to all the above, no question.

But to use another one of those English expressions, there is a big danger that the government will throw the baby out with the bathwater. To take my case as an example - and I'm just a normal geezer, definitely not super-talented or anything like that, just happened to have a certain amount of useful experience. I came here 8 years ago and set up a regional office which now employs about a dozen people, virtually all of them Singaporeans. We were lucky with the timing and have been able to recruit some very smart people, some of whom had international experience, others less worldly wise. But I strongly believe that the experience of working regionally for our company has benefitted all concerned, not just in terms of salary, etc. but also with the opportunities for developing regional / industry experience and knowledge on a wider scale.

If we were doing the same thing now, knowing that it's harder to get EPs, etc. perhaps we wouldn't come to Singapore but would go to HK, Shanghai or elsewere instead.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 2:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Unfortunately, from my long term views of Singapore and their PMETs, what has happened was caused directly by SME employers. Middle level PMETs were being filled with other 3rd world applicants for cost reasons, coupled with the gahmen's lax immigration policies making it possible. The local population has been played out to a large extent by their own. Local grads expecting too much (or, to be honest -- a fair wage) while the local businesses are only interested in making profits so they go get foreign PMET's and reduced rates and say the hell with the local PMETs.


And I sometimes I wonder if those xenophobic locals are the same locals who are SME employers themselves, doing the very same dirty bit they themselves are vehemently condemning on cyberspace against 'cheaper' FTs.

They have themselves to blame if it is so.

Tsk tsk tsk...

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35160
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 3:20 pm

Lynx, you are absolutely right. They are also the same ones complaining about foreigners driving up HDB resale prices (but they are also the ones holding out for the maximum COV that they can get, rather than selling to another Singaporean at a cheaper rate. This the the problem that the gahmen are currently up against - damned if they do and damned if they don't.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 3:23 pm

http://www.nashdom.sg/

check out what your compatriotes have to say.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 5:17 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:http://www.nashdom.sg/

check out what your compatriotes have to say.


Well, I don't read cyrillic, but from the first forum I think I clicked on, the only topics in English are two for "london escorts" and one for "cheap usa nfl jersey shop".

Am I missing something?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 5:23 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:http://www.nashdom.sg/

check out what your compatriotes have to say.


Well, I don't read cyrillic, but from the first forum I think I clicked on, the only topics in English are two for "london escorts" and one for "cheap usa nfl jersey shop".

Am I missing something?


IF you run it through translate it has some job and housing sections for Russians in Singapore further down. I'm not trying to spam - it genuinely looked useful.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 5:50 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:http://www.nashdom.sg/

check out what your compatriotes have to say.


Well, I don't read cyrillic, but from the first forum I think I clicked on, the only topics in English are two for "london escorts" and one for "cheap usa nfl jersey shop".

Am I missing something?


IF you run it through translate it has some job and housing sections for Russians in Singapore further down. I'm not trying to spam - it genuinely looked useful.


I did (via Chrome), and didn't see anything interesting. I'll check again

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 03 Oct 2012 10:00 am

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:http://www.nashdom.sg/

check out what your compatriotes have to say.


Well, I don't read cyrillic, but from the first forum I think I clicked on, the only topics in English are two for "london escorts" and one for "cheap usa nfl jersey shop".

Am I missing something?


IF you run it through translate it has some job and housing sections for Russians in Singapore further down. I'm not trying to spam - it genuinely looked useful.


I did (via Chrome), and didn't see anything interesting. I'll check again


Oops. I posted that in the wrong place. Sorry.
Now I'm called PNGMK


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests