Singapore Expats Forum

Waiting for advice (software developer)

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

SergeyF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 29 Sep 2012

Waiting for advice (software developer)

Postby SergeyF » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 6:24 pm

Hi from Russia :)

Very soon I'll go to Singapore to try to find a job and stay there :roll:
I'm a C++ software developer. I have sent my resume to various employers and recruitment agencies, but so far I did not get any feedback. Maybe I do something wrong. My work experience is more than 8 years and it seems to me that the CV is OK. Maybe someone could help me with an advice? Should I call by phone instead of sending emails? I will stay in Singapore for one month only, so in that period of time I should have as much interviews as possible… Any help will be much appreciated :)

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:18 pm

I personally don't see a lot of demand for someone with your skills. There is not a lot of coding done here now. It's all over in India etc now. (I lead an IT development project in Singapore about 10 years ago).
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:26 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:I personally don't see a lot of demand for someone with your skills. There is not a lot of coding done here now. It's all over in India etc now. (I lead an IT development project in Singapore about 10 years ago).


There is a lot of coding here as I'm doing some myself (embedded systems in C).

But it's numbing my mind and I don't think our friend Sergey would be willing to compete with the low wages.
Last edited by nakatago on Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:28 pm

What OSOD said is, sadly, true. I know that C++ can go anywhere, but what I see in LinkedIn, Monster, and Jobstreet, are mostly someone with Java, SAP, DB2, or Oracle skill set. Perhaps OP needs to specify something which is rare.
"Budget Expat"

SergeyF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 29 Sep 2012

Postby SergeyF » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:03 pm

nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I personally don't see a lot of demand for someone with your skills. There is not a lot of coding done here now. It's all over in India etc now. (I lead an IT development project in Singapore about 10 years ago).


There is a lot of coding here as I'm doing some myself (embedded systems in C).

But it's numbing my mind and I don't think our friend Sergey would be willing to compete with the low wages.

I don't expect high salary at the beginning. But it should be high enough to rent an apartment and live there with my wife. She wants to rest a couple of month and just walk around and do nothing :) Then after some time I will be able to find a job with better salary.

SergeyF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 29 Sep 2012

Postby SergeyF » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:51 pm

v4jr4 wrote:What OSOD said is, sadly, true. I know that C++ can go anywhere, but what I see in LinkedIn, Monster, and Jobstreet, are mostly someone with Java, SAP, DB2, or Oracle skill set. Perhaps OP needs to specify something which is rare.

Yeah, it is more cost efficient for a company to develop in Java or C# then in C++. The developing process is much slower in C++.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 12:04 am

SergeyF wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:What OSOD said is, sadly, true. I know that C++ can go anywhere, but what I see in LinkedIn, Monster, and Jobstreet, are mostly someone with Java, SAP, DB2, or Oracle skill set. Perhaps OP needs to specify something which is rare.

Yeah, it is more cost efficient for a company to develop in Java or C# then in C++. The developing process is much slower in C++.


It's not like the C++ can't be used, but most people will use "quick shortcut" to develop something related with reporting tools or message transfer. There are many applications which are ready to be used. But as for the 3D development, if I'm not mistaken, C++ is still important.
"Budget Expat"

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:42 am

SergeyF wrote:
nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I personally don't see a lot of demand for someone with your skills. There is not a lot of coding done here now. It's all over in India etc now. (I lead an IT development project in Singapore about 10 years ago).


There is a lot of coding here as I'm doing some myself (embedded systems in C).

But it's numbing my mind and I don't think our friend Sergey would be willing to compete with the low wages.

I don't expect high salary at the beginning. But it should be high enough to rent an apartment and live there with my wife. She wants to rest a couple of month and just walk around and do nothing :) Then after some time I will be able to find a job with better salary.


URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:43 am

SergeyF wrote:
nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I personally don't see a lot of demand for someone with your skills. There is not a lot of coding done here now. It's all over in India etc now. (I lead an IT development project in Singapore about 10 years ago).


There is a lot of coding here as I'm doing some myself (embedded systems in C).

But it's numbing my mind and I don't think our friend Sergey would be willing to compete with the low wages.

I don't expect high salary at the beginning. But it should be high enough to rent an apartment and live there with my wife. She wants to rest a couple of month and just walk around and do nothing :) Then after some time I will be able to find a job with better salary.


THAT, my friend, will be hard. MY wife walks around and does nothing but the only way we can afford it, it by me working my ass off as a general manager. I can't see it happening on a low end coders salary. Have a look at the local job boards etc. (ST seven oh one in numbers dot com)
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:46 am

nakatago wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:I personally don't see a lot of demand for someone with your skills. There is not a lot of coding done here now. It's all over in India etc now. (I lead an IT development project in Singapore about 10 years ago).


There is a lot of coding here as I'm doing some myself (embedded systems in C).

But it's numbing my mind and I don't think our friend Sergey would be willing to compete with the low wages.


Embedded systems in C requires (typically) strong domain knowledge of the application you are coding into - or often a good background in EE, EEE or Control Systems engineering to deal with the hardware interface layer at least. I don't think our Russian buddy has that skillset - or at least he hasn't said so. The project I remember the best from my C days was a project that returned the company about $1000 per byte of final object code per sale - it was less than 512 bytes full loaded into the PROM. I don't do that stuff anymore - too old, too cranky, too blind and too impatient.
Now I'm called PNGMK

SergeyF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 29 Sep 2012

Postby SergeyF » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 4:13 pm

I think that it will be a very interesting experience to live and work abroad. Besides it will helps me to see different approaches in my profession which maybe I can’t see in Russia, and helps me to learn English better. Also it is interesting to see different culture inside. So I think about that as about experience, not as about making money. I know that in Moscow our income will be higher. But we always can come back to Russia and find a job here. I already bought tickets and get a vocation, so I will go anyway and I will not change my mind :)

Back to business :)
Could someone give me a clue what I should do before I go and when I’m in Singapore?
Should I call to recruitment agencies (and/or employers) by phone?
Which agencies and employers could you recommend?
Which inexpensive hotel could you recommend?

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 6:21 pm

SergeyF wrote:I think that it will be a very interesting experience to live and work abroad. Besides it will helps me to see different approaches in my profession which maybe I can’t see in Russia, and helps me to learn English better. Also it is interesting to see different culture inside. So I think about that as about experience, not as about making money. I know that in Moscow our income will be higher. But we always can come back to Russia and find a job here. I already bought tickets and get a vocation, so I will go anyway and I will not change my mind :)

Back to business :)
Could someone give me a clue what I should do before I go and when I’m in Singapore?
Should I call to recruitment agencies (and/or employers) by phone?
Which agencies and employers could you recommend?
Which inexpensive hotel could you recommend?


Mate, employment agencies here aren't worth a crap. Your best bet would be to search LinkedIn and/or JobsDB to see if there is even work for you.

SergeyF
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 29 Sep 2012

Postby SergeyF » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 7:37 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:Mate, employment agencies here aren't worth a crap. Your best bet would be to search LinkedIn and/or JobsDB to see if there is even work for you.

Hmmm... :? I see.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11110
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:36 pm

SergeyF wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Mate, employment agencies here aren't worth a crap. Your best bet would be to search LinkedIn and/or JobsDB to see if there is even work for you.

Hmmm... :? I see.


But, you don't seem to have been reading any of the other posts. If you are a bog standard coder, you can be had for S$3K per month, maybe less. If you want to live 6 to a room, make rice your main staple, you can program here.

Otherwise, you really need to be able to identify your skill sets that set you apart from others.

Cheap hotel = S$80 per day.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 10:45 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
SergeyF wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:Mate, employment agencies here aren't worth a crap. Your best bet would be to search LinkedIn and/or JobsDB to see if there is even work for you.

Hmmm... :? I see.


But, you don't seem to have been reading any of the other posts. If you are a bog standard coder, you can be had for S$3K per month, maybe less. If you want to live 6 to a room, make rice your main staple, you can program here.

Otherwise, you really need to be able to identify your skill sets that set you apart from others.

Cheap hotel = S$80 per day.


Not to mention a lot of coding here isn't really creatively stimulating, depending on your luck (on the assignment). If it were, I'd spend less time on the forum and won't be a moderator.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests