Singapore Expats Forum

Need advise: DP want to rent a booth in NTU canteen, Enter P

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
huangliuyu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Location: singapore

Need advise: DP want to rent a booth in NTU canteen, Enter P

Postby huangliuyu » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:37 am

Dear All Experts,

I need your valuable advise.

I am a DP holder, my husband is working in NTU. Both His EP and my DP are valid for 5 years from Feb 2012.

Now my employer has applied LOC from MOM so I am working.

But I am planning to rent a booth in NTU canteen to run my own business.

Regarding the present situation, I have the following question:

1. If I quit from the present job, I need write to my employer, and after that my LOC will be cancelled, so I am not allowed to work when I seccussfully rent the booth.

2. I am not sure when I can successfully rent the booth, and there should be a period for me to prepare the booth. How can I prepare to apply Enterprenier pass when I have not rent the booth yet, or how can I run the booth without permit to work?

3. I happened to read a thred in this forum about applying some pass like solo, or self employment. What is that pass?

Thanks and best regards
Alice Ng
huangliuyu

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 3:49 pm

I believe you have only 2 options:
1) Entre Pass
2) PR

I believe, Entre pass is quite strict in terms of amount of investment. So unlikely that this route will work for you. So the only realistic route is to apply for PR and wait/hope for its approval
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

huangliuyu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Location: singapore

Postby huangliuyu » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 3:54 pm

revhappy wrote:I believe you have only 2 options:
1) Entre Pass
2) PR

I believe, Entre pass is quite strict in terms of amount of investment. So unlikely that this route will work for you. So the only realistic route is to apply for PR and wait/hope for its approval


Thanks for your prompt reply.

As we have been in Singapore for only 7month, we want to hold untill my husband receives his first tax certificate. It sounds that will be easier for us to apply for PR.

Best regards
Alice
huangliuyu

huangliuyu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Location: singapore

Postby huangliuyu » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 3:58 pm

I happened to know there is a kind of pass for solo and self employee, but I can not remember the exact name.

So any expert pls help me!

Or whether a DP holder can rent a booth in NTU canteen or in any food court outside NTU?

Best regards
Alice
huangliuyu

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 4:24 pm

..
Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:33 pm

Read this:
ftopic75000.html

huangliuyu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Location: singapore

Postby huangliuyu » Sun, 30 Sep 2012 7:33 pm

x9200 wrote:Read this:
ftopic75000.html


Much appreciated!

If I just sell something by the shop in internet, do I need to apply the sole proprietorship pass when I quit from the present job?

Thanks and best regards!

Happy Mid-Auturm Day!

Alice
huangliuyu

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:16 am

There is no sole proprietorship pass (have you read the thread?).
If you do any job in Singapore including online sale you need to have a work pass or LoC in your case unless you want to sell something as a private person on ebay or in similar place.

huangliuyu
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun, 22 Jul 2012
Location: singapore

Postby huangliuyu » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 1:02 pm

I was confused.

I read carefully in the thread, that lalancaster1 has applied sole-proprietorship successfully in Thu Oct 14, 2010.

"sole-proprietorship" should mean that it is legal to start business as a DP, and can sign LOC.

I do not mean to do any illegal things here in Singapore, that's why I come here for consultancy.

Or the sole-proprietorship case is too old for present policy from MOM?

Thanks and best regards
Alice
huangliuyu

therat
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu, 04 Sep 2008

Postby therat » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 3:46 pm

huangliuyu wrote:I was confused.

I read carefully in the thread, that lalancaster1 has applied sole-proprietorship successfully in Thu Oct 14, 2010.

"sole-proprietorship" should mean that it is legal to start business as a DP, and can sign LOC.

I do not mean to do any illegal things here in Singapore, that's why I come here for consultancy.

Or the sole-proprietorship case is too old for present policy from MOM?

Thanks and best regards
Alice


x9200 is correct. There are no such thing call sole-proprietorship pass.

sole-proprietorship is not a work permit pass.

You had confused.

Read below to understand what is sole-proprietorship and what is need to apply for sole-proprietorship.


Foreigner Registering a Sole-Proprietor/Partnership

http://www.acra.gov.sg/SoleProprietorsh ... ership.htm

A foreigner, who would like to register a Sole-Proprietorship in Singapore, is required to appoint a locally resident manager whilst he continues to reside outside Singapore.

If a foreigner wishes to register a Partnership in Singapore whilst he continues to reside outside Singapore, there must be a least a locally resident partner in the business firm. If all the partners are foreigners, a locally resident manager needs to be appointed.

MOM will not issue an EntrePass to a foreigner who wishes to register and run a sole-proprietorship or partnership. Foreigner who wishes to set up a business and be present in Singapore to manage its operations is strongly advised to seek approval from MOM before registration. Even if you have successfully registered a business with ACRA, MOM may still refuse your application for a pass subsequently.

The *person carrying out the business is required to engage the services of a professional firm (e.g. lawyers, accountants, chartered secretaries) or a service bureau (e.g. DP Bureau) to submit the online application on his behalf if any of the partners does not have SingPass. Only an individual with SingPass can proceed to submit any online transactions or perform the required endorsements via BizFile (ACRA’s online filing system). They will need to log in to BizFile using their identification number (NRIC or FIN no.) and SingPass.

(*Any person above the age of 18 years old with effect from 1 March 2009 can be a Sole-Proprietor or a Partner)

Any foreigner who wishes to work in Singapore as an employee would have to apply for an appropriate work pass eg. an Employment Pass from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11111
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 4:27 pm

therat wrote:
huangliuyu wrote:I was confused.

I read carefully in the thread, that lalancaster1 has applied sole-proprietorship successfully in Thu Oct 14, 2010.

"sole-proprietorship" should mean that it is legal to start business as a DP, and can sign LOC.

I do not mean to do any illegal things here in Singapore, that's why I come here for consultancy.

Or the sole-proprietorship case is too old for present policy from MOM?

Thanks and best regards
Alice


x9200 is correct. There are no such thing call sole-proprietorship pass.

sole-proprietorship is not a work permit pass.

You had confused.

Read below to understand what is sole-proprietorship and what is need to apply for sole-proprietorship.


Foreigner Registering a Sole-Proprietor/Partnership

http://www.acra.gov.sg/SoleProprietorsh ... ership.htm

A foreigner, who would like to register a Sole-Proprietorship in Singapore, is required to appoint a locally resident manager whilst he continues to reside outside Singapore.

If a foreigner wishes to register a Partnership in Singapore whilst he continues to reside outside Singapore, there must be a least a locally resident partner in the business firm. If all the partners are foreigners, a locally resident manager needs to be appointed.

MOM will not issue an EntrePass to a foreigner who wishes to register and run a sole-proprietorship or partnership. Foreigner who wishes to set up a business and be present in Singapore to manage its operations is strongly advised to seek approval from MOM before registration. Even if you have successfully registered a business with ACRA, MOM may still refuse your application for a pass subsequently.

The *person carrying out the business is required to engage the services of a professional firm (e.g. lawyers, accountants, chartered secretaries) or a service bureau (e.g. DP Bureau) to submit the online application on his behalf if any of the partners does not have SingPass. Only an individual with SingPass can proceed to submit any online transactions or perform the required endorsements via BizFile (ACRA’s online filing system). They will need to log in to BizFile using their identification number (NRIC or FIN no.) and SingPass.

(*Any person above the age of 18 years old with effect from 1 March 2009 can be a Sole-Proprietor or a Partner)

Any foreigner who wishes to work in Singapore as an employee would have to apply for an appropriate work pass eg. an Employment Pass from the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).


This is not correct advice for the OP and only confuses the issue. A person who holds a DP is not a foreigner under the meaning of this section of text. It refers to someone who has no pass, no right of residence in Singapore. A DP has, or can apply for a SingPass.

It is not an Entrepass this person needs, it is to set up a business or a company. I have repeatedly stated that I believe your chances of getting an LOC are better with a private limited but if you read the threads in the Careers section, you will see that several people have formed a sole proprietorship business, then successfully obtained a LOC for the business.

You will also see that it wasn't easy to do, with many people being told that it can't be done. Fact is, it can be done. A DP can form a sole proprietorship.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 4:38 pm

Moreover, it can NOT be the entrepass as the nature of the OP's business prevents her from getting one. OP, just read the whole thread including more recent posts. The thread is 3 pages long.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest