Singapore Expats Forum

Chance of Getting Work Permit with Criminal Record

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aerios

Chance of Getting Work Permit with Criminal Record

Postby aerios » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 9:44 am

Hi, I have tried to search for my problem and see if anyone have experienced the same thing as me, but I can't really find it. So now, I would like to ask about the chance of getting work permit because of criminal record (petty theft). It is actually happen in Singapore.
I just want to ask if I found a job and would like to apply work permit again, will I have any chance to get my permit approved by MOM?
Thanks a lot for the info.
Every mistake is a lesson to be stronger and grow up

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Re: [Ask] Chance of Getting Work Permit with Criminal Record

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:04 am

aerios wrote:Hi, I have tried to search for my problem and see if anyone have experienced the same thing as me, but I can't really find it. So now, I would like to ask about the chance of getting work permit because of criminal record (petty theft). It is actually happen in Singapore.
I just want to ask if I found a job and would like to apply work permit again, will I have any chance to get my permit approved by MOM?

You can only try. Be prepared to explain what steps you've made to ensure you don't reoffend. Singapore is - imho - lenient on ex cons - so you maybe ok.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:12 am

aerios wrote:Hi, I have tried to search for my problem and see if anyone have experienced the same thing as me, but I can't really find it. So now, I would like to ask about the chance of getting work permit because of criminal record (petty theft). It is actually happen in Singapore.

When did that happen? Is it a spent conviction? Jail/fine? Were you deported out of Singapore after convicted? Did they say/write anything about you being blacklisted from entering Singapore?

aerios

Postby aerios » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:28 am

offshoreoildude wrote:You can only try. Be prepared to explain what steps you've made to ensure you don't reoffend. Singapore is - imho - lenient on ex cons - so you maybe ok.

thanks a lot for the info, and yes, i believe that for now I can only try. At least I have to take a chance.

the lynx wrote:When did that happen? Is it a spent conviction? Jail/fine? Were you deported out of Singapore after convicted? Did they say/write anything about you being blacklisted from entering Singapore?

It just happen recently. No, there were no fine or jail and I am not deported out. I am still allow to stay in Singapore, and can come back to Singapore anytime. The company is not going to pursue this matter as I am only 19. Is just that the police officer told me that MOM may reject my work permit as I have a criminal record.
So now I am wondering whether I will have the chance to work at Singapore again and my work permit will ever be approved by MOM.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:46 am

aerios wrote:
the lynx wrote:When did that happen? Is it a spent conviction? Jail/fine? Were you deported out of Singapore after convicted? Did they say/write anything about you being blacklisted from entering Singapore?

It just happen recently. No, there were no fine or jail and I am not deported out. I am still allow to stay in Singapore, and can come back to Singapore anytime. The company is not going to pursue this matter as I am only 19. Is just that the police officer told me that MOM may reject my work permit as I have a criminal record.
So now I am wondering whether I will have the chance to work at Singapore again and my work permit will ever be approved by MOM.

Ah so it is not a serious offence. Should be OK but I'm not a lawyer. Just a guess.

aerios

Postby aerios » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:59 am

the lynx wrote:Ah so it is not a serious offence. Should be OK but I'm not a lawyer. Just a guess.

Thanks a lot. At least I have a positive opinion from you. I am just afraid that MOM will never approved my work permit because of my mistake and I am unable to work in Singapore anymore. The police officer told me that it would be very difficult for me to have my work permit approved as I have a criminal record before. Hope that I have the chance to correct my past mistake. Thanks.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:34 am

aerios wrote:
the lynx wrote:Ah so it is not a serious offence. Should be OK but I'm not a lawyer. Just a guess.

Thanks a lot. At least I have a positive opinion from you. I am just afraid that MOM will never approved my work permit because of my mistake and I am unable to work in Singapore anymore. The police officer told me that it would be very difficult for me to have my work permit approved as I have a criminal record before. Hope that I have the chance to correct my past mistake. Thanks.

Firstly you should not take legal advice from a police officer - ever. Their total legal training is about 10 weeks and most of it focuses on the wrong end of your problem (i.e. how to lock people up). I would consult a lawyer and ask them their opinion firstly. Secondly I would try - and I don't know how to do this - to get a copy of your criminal record in Singapore to see what it actually says. It may not be as bad as you say. A bit of googling may show how to obtain a 'criminal clearance certificate for Singapore' but I'm not going to do it for you.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:47 am

aerios wrote:

Like I warned you, don't take my words for it. That is a danger of forums. Newbies come here for advice, all sorts of people give advice, some are sound, some are wrong, newbies take only what they want to hear.

Here is the thread. The lady went through the same problem but with more pitiful circumstances. Maybe you can learn the steps on documents, SPF etc from here.

http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ptopic87654.html

aerios

Postby aerios » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 11:31 am

offshoreoildude wrote:Firstly you should not take legal advice from a police officer - ever. Their total legal training is about 10 weeks and most of it focuses on the wrong end of your problem (i.e. how to lock people up). I would consult a lawyer and ask them their opinion firstly. Secondly I would try - and I don't know how to do this - to get a copy of your criminal record in Singapore to see what it actually says. It may not be as bad as you say. A bit of googling may show how to obtain a 'criminal clearance certificate for Singapore' but I'm not going to do it for you.

Well, what the police officer say does make sense. I believe it will be difficult to get MOM to approve my work permit. But, yeah I will try again. Can u even get a copy of your criminal record? I thought it is not given to public? And about the criminal clearance certificate, I think is only applicable for Singapore citizen and they would like to work outside Singapore. In my case, I am not Singaporean, and I would like to work in Singapore. So I think the Criminal Clearance Certificate is not applicable for me?

the lynx wrote:Like I warned you, don't take my words for it. That is a danger of forums. Newbies come here for advice, all sorts of people give advice, some are sound, some are wrong, newbies take only what they want to hear.

Here is the thread. The lady went through the same problem but with more pitiful circumstances. Maybe you can learn the steps on documents, SPF etc from here.

Yes, I understand about this issue. But I just want to know whether there is a chance for MOM to approve my work permit in Singapore again with my record. At least I know there is certain percentage of chance, not like 0% of chance that I can't work in Singapore anymore. I am still allowed to come back in Singapore anytime. Well I just hope that there will be a second chance for me. Thanks for the help.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 1:42 pm

aerios wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Firstly you should not take legal advice from a police officer - ever. Their total legal training is about 10 weeks and most of it focuses on the wrong end of your problem (i.e. how to lock people up). I would consult a lawyer and ask them their opinion firstly. Secondly I would try - and I don't know how to do this - to get a copy of your criminal record in Singapore to see what it actually says. It may not be as bad as you say. A bit of googling may show how to obtain a 'criminal clearance certificate for Singapore' but I'm not going to do it for you.

Well, what the police officer say does make sense. I believe it will be difficult to get MOM to approve my work permit. But, yeah I will try again. Can u even get a copy of your criminal record? I thought it is not given to public? And about the criminal clearance certificate, I think is only applicable for Singapore citizen and they would like to work outside Singapore. In my case, I am not Singaporean, and I would like to work in Singapore. So I think the Criminal Clearance Certificate is not applicable for me?

the lynx wrote:Like I warned you, don't take my words for it. That is a danger of forums. Newbies come here for advice, all sorts of people give advice, some are sound, some are wrong, newbies take only what they want to hear.

Yes, I understand about this issue. But I just want to know whether there is a chance for MOM to approve my work permit in Singapore again with my record. At least I know there is certain percentage of chance, not like 0% of chance that I can't work in Singapore anymore. I am still allowed to come back in Singapore anytime. Well I just hope that there will be a second chance for me. Thanks for the help.

Good grief - you really want spoon feeding you cry baby.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 2:08 pm

Did you even read the thread I suggested?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 27 Sep 2012 2:51 pm

aerios wrote:Yes, I understand about this issue. But I just want to know whether there is a chance for MOM to approve my work permit in Singapore again with my record. At least I know there is certain percentage of chance, not like 0% of chance that I can't work in Singapore anymore. I am still allowed to come back in Singapore anytime. Well I just hope that there will be a second chance for me. Thanks for the help.

What kind of work do you do anyway and which permit do you expect to get? Plenty of people come here looking for work without committing any crimes at all. If MOM does know about your past, I personally think it would be hard to overlook unless you have some amazing talents.