Singapore Expats Forum

Citizen application chance?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Citizen application chance?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:25 pm

Yohohoho wrote:Abit about myself:
Indonesian chinese
Indonesian degree from indonesia private university recognize in ICA website
32 years old
Stay singapore since mid of 2006 holding Q pass for 2 years for my first job last pay is 2.2k
Got my PR in Aug 2008 - not past 1st renewal of REP but Chinese made up the difference I believe.
Working as senior exec In IT with pay basic 3630 for my second job since i left my first job until now
Applied my mom ltvp around 2010 and succeed.
Married in march 2011 with indonesian PR (she got her pr in end 2007, we apply individually)
No house yet. Currently renting room with my wife.

My wife:
Indonesian chinese
Indonesian degree from indonesia private university recognize in ICA website
29 years old
Stay singapore since early 2007 holding s pass for 7 months then apply for pr
Got her PR in end 2007.
Work as account assistant. Basic pay 1900.

Early 2010 ask for assesment for both of us; mostly negative due to need higher pay and longer stay in sg as sg-pr
Early 2011 ask for assesment again same answer. But this time officer specially mention my wife pay way too low to apply. For myself, thy ask me to wait another year; if pay increase etc might have chance.
Early 2012 i went to do assesment for myself, asked to wait until i passed my 4th year PR then apply (4 year pr will be mid Aug 2012).

They as much as told you then that you would be approved once enough time had elapsed.

Dont want to wait anymore; mid feb apply citizenship online for myself, appointment was early March 2012.
End aug 2012 ICA called to re-submit the CPF contribution, 6 months pay slip and latest income tax. Submitted and now still waitin.....

Whar are the chances i will get it?

Any comment appreciated, thanks


There was no single item that got you your IPA, but an accumulation of pluses that outweighed the few actual negatives.

Yohohoho
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed, 26 Sep 2012

Re: Citizen application chance?

Postby Yohohoho » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:21 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Yohohoho wrote:Abit about myself:
Indonesian chinese
Indonesian degree from indonesia private university recognize in ICA website
32 years old
Stay singapore since mid of 2006 holding Q pass for 2 years for my first job last pay is 2.2k
Got my PR in Aug 2008 - not past 1st renewal of REP but Chinese made up the difference I believe.
Working as senior exec In IT with pay basic 3630 for my second job since i left my first job until now
Applied my mom ltvp around 2010 and succeed.
Married in march 2011 with indonesian PR (she got her pr in end 2007, we apply individually)
No house yet. Currently renting room with my wife.

My wife:
Indonesian chinese
Indonesian degree from indonesia private university recognize in ICA website
29 years old
Stay singapore since early 2007 holding s pass for 7 months then apply for pr
Got her PR in end 2007.
Work as account assistant. Basic pay 1900.

Early 2010 ask for assesment for both of us; mostly negative due to need higher pay and longer stay in sg as sg-pr
Early 2011 ask for assesment again same answer. But this time officer specially mention my wife pay way too low to apply. For myself, thy ask me to wait another year; if pay increase etc might have chance.
Early 2012 i went to do assesment for myself, asked to wait until i passed my 4th year PR then apply (4 year pr will be mid Aug 2012).

They as much as told you then that you would be approved once enough time had elapsed.

Dont want to wait anymore; mid feb apply citizenship online for myself, appointment was early March 2012.
End aug 2012 ICA called to re-submit the CPF contribution, 6 months pay slip and latest income tax. Submitted and now still waitin.....

Whar are the chances i will get it?

Any comment appreciated, thanks


There was no single item that got you your IPA, but an accumulation of pluses that outweighed the few actual negatives.


Hi SMS, thanks for sharing..... hope it can be some information for others as well.
i understand my university is listed in ICA website from the online assessment when i apply my PR.
Now they have removed the online assessment.... is there any place we can check if the university is recognize by ICA?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Sep 2012 10:31 am

Probably not. You could, however, always use the MOM university list. I don't reckon it would be much different as you have to use MOM to get to ICA anyway, e.g., Employment Pass for 2 years, apply for PR, after 4 ~6 years, apply for Citizenship. So, mostly hinges on the requirements for the EP in the first place.

Another reason for taking it down was probably because of so many who feel that after seeing their university, they think they have "entitlement rights" when actually, it is just listing the universities that will allow your application to be accepted "for consideration". There is not any guarantee that it will eventually be granted. Also, the criteria is tightening up monthly so why keep changing the website? Just take it down. That way, it also eliminated bogus degrees from acceptable universities. People will try most anything.

Yohohoho
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed, 26 Sep 2012

Postby Yohohoho » Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Probably not. You could, however, always use the MOM university list. I don't reckon it would be much different as you have to use MOM to get to ICA anyway, e.g., Employment Pass for 2 years, apply for PR, after 4 ~6 years, apply for Citizenship. So, mostly hinges on the requirements for the EP in the first place.

Another reason for taking it down was probably because of so many who feel that after seeing their university, they think they have "entitlement rights" when actually, it is just listing the universities that will allow your application to be accepted "for consideration". There is not any guarantee that it will eventually be granted. Also, the criteria is tightening up monthly so why keep changing the website? Just take it down. That way, it also eliminated bogus degrees from acceptable universities. People will try most anything.


I see thanks for sharing.... :)

Yohohoho
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed, 26 Sep 2012

Postby Yohohoho » Wed, 28 Nov 2012 4:29 pm

Dear All,
I have converted, and currently Singaporean without Pink IC.

Not sure if anyone shared the step next after receiving the IPA for Citizenship, so let me share my personal experience (while my memory still fresh):
0. You apply Citizenship from ICA and receive in-principle approval. DO NOT RENOUNCE your current citizenship :)

1. You are required to complete 3 tasks:
~ Online Journey: basically to enrich your knowledge about Singapore.
~ Singapore Experimental Tour (SET) which is half day Singapore Museum tour and a place of your choice (I chose Marina Barrage that time).
~ Community Sharing Session, this one is based on your GRC
Noted: no need to be in sequence, try to book Community Sharing Session first as normally its once a month only.

2. Once completed no 1 above, ICA will send you "Official" Approval Letter asking you to renounce your citizenship within an online appointment date (pls reschedule the appointment date if you cant make it in time).

3. I went to Indonesia Embassy with my Indonesian IC and Passport and was told those are not enough. I will need to:

a. go to Singapore Public Notary to do the Renounciation Letter you will need: ICA Approval letter, Indonesian Passport, IC (KTP), Family Card (Kartu Keluarga), Birth Cert (Akte Kelahiran), Citizenship Cert (SKBRI - If have, if not just declare on renounciation letter). As i dont know any Public Notary, Embassy gave me a reference (which im not sure if its appropriate to put it here) and i paid the Notary $150 (inc GST) Can collect the letter on the same day.

b. bring the letter to Academy of Law to get the Public notary name and signature certified. submit before 12 noon and it will be ready the next day after 2pm Paid $25 (before GST)

c. bring the whole stack renunciation documents from Academy of Law to Ministry of Foreign affair to be endorsed. Paid $10 (inc GST), done on spot

Now, if you are lazy to handle yourself, the notary offer the service to do step b and c together for extra $80 so total will be $230... as i want to experience the whole thing myself, i decide to do it myself (only then i can shares with you all lol :D)

4. Bring ICA Approval Letter, Renunciation Letter, Birth Cert, IC (KTP), Passport, Citizenship Cert (SBKRI) if have, Family Cert (Kartu Keluarga), Marriage cert (if married), to Indonesia Embassy to renounce your citizenship. They require Original and Copy of the documents. Paid $32 + $2 for Stamp (Materai). will take 5 working days. they took my passport and IC back and return only my birth cert with renunciation letter.

5. Based on the online appointment, bring the renunciation letter + approval letter + 4pc photo taken on 1st floor of ICA (have to 1st floor ICA building) + Blue IC to ICA, they will register your finger print, and use the photo for IC registration (paid $10) and citizenship cert (paid $70). They will punch a hole on your blue IC and then take oath... and you are Singaporean...

6. Passport application is optional. i done it thru online, save $10 :D

7. Pink IC will be given on offical ceremony which they will send letter to you for the location and time.

I will add other info if i missed out something :) hope it helps.

PS: other nationality steps to renounce their citizenship might be different. cheers.

eddix
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon, 04 Feb 2013

Postby eddix » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 9:30 am

Hi Yohohoho,

First of all, congrats..
May I know if your IPA letter is by email or by normal postal mail?
or you retrieve it from ICA website?

Cheers :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Feb 2013 12:06 pm

Yohohoho,

Hey dude, congratulations first of all.

Secondly, a huge THANKS! for taking the time to put all that down into print here. We really appreciate it and our reader who are following your path will have a good asset to go by. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Moderator/SMS

Yohohoho
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed, 26 Sep 2012

Postby Yohohoho » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:53 pm

eddix wrote:Hi Yohohoho,

First of all, congrats..
May I know if your IPA letter is by email or by normal postal mail?
or you retrieve it from ICA website?

Cheers :)


The letter is from normal postal mail (snail mail), similar to those other government letters.

Yohohoho
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed, 26 Sep 2012

Postby Yohohoho » Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Yohohoho,

Hey dude, congratulations first of all.

Secondly, a huge THANKS! for taking the time to put all that down into print here. We really appreciate it and our reader who are following your path will have a good asset to go by. Thanks again.

Cheers,
Moderator/SMS


Thanks, hope it will benefit for others :)

enslaved
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri, 07 May 2010
Location: singapore

Postby enslaved » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 3:01 pm

Saint wrote:Get your first REP renewal done then apply for Citizenship. That seems to be the "unofficial" timeline for applying after becoming PR


Looks like, citizenship approval is possible before REP renewal, with 19 % Chance, as per Grace Fu's statement is parliament. (She said 81% of new citizens stayed above 5 years in Singapore. )

She also said only 29% applied for citizenship after first REP. (She in fact had said 52% of new citizens had stayed 10 years or more)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34778
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 4:12 pm

enslaved wrote:
Saint wrote:Get your first REP renewal done then apply for Citizenship. That seems to be the "unofficial" timeline for applying after becoming PR


Looks like, citizenship approval is possible before REP renewal, with 19 % Chance, as per Grace Fu's statement is parliament. (She said 81% of new citizens stayed above 5 years in Singapore. )

She also said only 29% applied for citizenship after first REP. (She in fact had said 52% of new citizens had stayed 10 years or more)


That's a 19% chance for "ALL" Races. So, I wouold guess you chances diminish exponentially if you are not Chinese.

vestapo
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue, 25 Sep 2012

Postby vestapo » Thu, 28 Feb 2013 8:57 am

Minus PR who is married to SC, chance for non chinese and without SC spouse is lower, she said 80% of foreign spouses approved and about 4K+ approved out of 20K total. Last year they said they move 5K to this year as they was granted approval at end of year, so it seems like they take average 15K each year now

User avatar
Godfather_Justin
Member
Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu, 17 Nov 2011

Postby Godfather_Justin » Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:15 pm

Yohohoho wrote:Dear All,
I have converted, and currently Singaporean without Pink IC.

Not sure if anyone shared the step next after receiving the IPA for Citizenship, so let me share my personal experience (while my memory still fresh):
0. You apply Citizenship from ICA and receive in-principle approval. DO NOT RENOUNCE your current citizenship :)

1. You are required to complete 3 tasks:
~ Online Journey: basically to enrich your knowledge about Singapore.
~ Singapore Experimental Tour (SET) which is half day Singapore Museum tour and a place of your choice (I chose Marina Barrage that time).
~ Community Sharing Session, this one is based on your GRC
Noted: no need to be in sequence, try to book Community Sharing Session first as normally its once a month only.

2. Once completed no 1 above, ICA will send you "Official" Approval Letter asking you to renounce your citizenship within an online appointment date (pls reschedule the appointment date if you cant make it in time).

3. I went to Indonesia Embassy with my Indonesian IC and Passport and was told those are not enough. I will need to:

a. go to Singapore Public Notary to do the Renounciation Letter you will need: ICA Approval letter, Indonesian Passport, IC (KTP), Family Card (Kartu Keluarga), Birth Cert (Akte Kelahiran), Citizenship Cert (SKBRI - If have, if not just declare on renounciation letter). As i dont know any Public Notary, Embassy gave me a reference (which im not sure if its appropriate to put it here) and i paid the Notary $150 (inc GST) Can collect the letter on the same day.

b. bring the letter to Academy of Law to get the Public notary name and signature certified. submit before 12 noon and it will be ready the next day after 2pm Paid $25 (before GST)

c. bring the whole stack renunciation documents from Academy of Law to Ministry of Foreign affair to be endorsed. Paid $10 (inc GST), done on spot

Now, if you are lazy to handle yourself, the notary offer the service to do step b and c together for extra $80 so total will be $230... as i want to experience the whole thing myself, i decide to do it myself (only then i can shares with you all lol :D)

4. Bring ICA Approval Letter, Renunciation Letter, Birth Cert, IC (KTP), Passport, Citizenship Cert (SBKRI) if have, Family Cert (Kartu Keluarga), Marriage cert (if married), to Indonesia Embassy to renounce your citizenship. They require Original and Copy of the documents. Paid $32 + $2 for Stamp (Materai). will take 5 working days. they took my passport and IC back and return only my birth cert with renunciation letter.

5. Based on the online appointment, bring the renunciation letter + approval letter + 4pc photo taken on 1st floor of ICA (have to 1st floor ICA building) + Blue IC to ICA, they will register your finger print, and use the photo for IC registration (paid $10) and citizenship cert (paid $70). They will punch a hole on your blue IC and then take oath... and you are Singaporean...

6. Passport application is optional. i done it thru online, save $10 :D

7. Pink IC will be given on offical ceremony which they will send letter to you for the location and time.

I will add other info if i missed out something :) hope it helps.

PS: other nationality steps to renounce their citizenship might be different. cheers.




Congrats man !!! i hope i can have a write up on the Chinese National after i complete my formalities... cheers !

ful babu
Regular
Regular
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed, 03 Mar 2010
Location: one of Her Majesty's land

Postby ful babu » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 1:05 pm

Well it seems like all about race,

Me:
MSc from NTU
Gross pay : 7k
Working as an Operations Manager in gov funded project.
Age 29, Indian
received PR in July 2009, was holding a P2

Wife
MSc from NTU
Gross Pay: 4.5 to 5.5 k (4.5k basic)
Civil Servant
Age 29, Indian
received PR in March 2009, by invitation from ICA

no children yet

went to ICA for assessment recently , told me to keep working and try after 3 - 4 years ?!?!?

lolipop99
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun, 01 Jul 2012

Postby lolipop99 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 1:40 pm

ful babu wrote:Well it seems like all about race,

Me:
MSc from NTU
Gross pay : 7k
Working as an Operations Manager in gov funded project.
Age 29, Indian
received PR in July 2009, was holding a P2

Wife
MSc from NTU
Gross Pay: 4.5 to 5.5 k (4.5k basic)
Civil Servant
Age 29, Indian
received PR in March 2009, by invitation from ICA

no children yet

went to ICA for assessment recently , told me to keep working and try after 3 - 4 years ?!?!?


Not surprise at all, excer for Mal Chn, I have seen people with much better qualification and salary than this rejected even for PR, not to mention citizenship


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest