Singapore Expats

Citizen application chance?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Yohohoho

Citizen application chance?

Post by Yohohoho » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 5:43 am

Abit about myself:
Indonesian chinese
Indonesian degree from indonesia private university recognize in ICA website
32 years old
Stay singapore since mid of 2006 holding Q pass for 2 years for my first job last pay is 2.2k
Got my PR in Aug 2008
Working as senior exec In IT with pay basic 3630 for my second job since i left my first job until now
Applied my mom ltvp around 2010 and succeed.
Married in march 2011 with indonesian PR (she got her pr in end 2007, we apply individually)
No house yet. Currently renting room with my wife.

My wife:
Indonesian chinese
Indonesian degree from indonesia private university recognize in ICA website
29 years old
Stay singapore since early 2007 holding s pass for 7 months then apply for pr
Got her PR in end 2007.
Work as account assistant. Basic pay 1900.

Early 2010 ask for assesment for both of us; mostly negative due to need higher pay and longer stay in sg as sg-pr
Early 2011 ask for assesment again same answer. But this time officer specially mention my wife pay way too low to apply. For myself, thy ask me to wait another year; if pay increase etc might have chance.
Early 2012 i went to do assesment for myself, asked to wait until i passed my 4th year PR then apply (4 year pr will be mid Aug 2012).

Dont want to wait anymore; mid feb apply citizenship online for myself, appointment was early March 2012.
End aug 2012 ICA called to re-submit the CPF contribution, 6 months pay slip and latest income tax. Submitted and now still waitin.....

Whar are the chances i will get it?

Any comment appreciated, thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 6:51 am

Skate in the park. Shouldn't be a problem. But recently we've been seeing some Indo Chinese being rejected for reasons not yet fathomed. All the right boxes seem to be ticked so I feel your chances are good.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 9:18 am

Get your first REP renewal done then apply for Citizenship. That seems to be the "unofficial" timeline for applying after becoming PR

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 10:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Skate in the park. Shouldn't be a problem. But recently we've been seeing some Indo Chinese being rejected for reasons not yet fathomed. All the right boxes seem to be ticked so I feel your chances are good.
Thanks for the encouragement... so their main criteria is Race preference than income level? i always thought that Sg gahmen alway prioritize $$ ....

quite surprise saw several high income profile never got their PR/Citizenship ... was quite demoralize after reading this forum. I applied my Citizenship before i know this forum... and was thinking my chance is very very slim....

but then you said my chances are good

:o :D

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:05 am

Saint wrote:Get your first REP renewal done then apply for Citizenship. That seems to be the "unofficial" timeline for applying after becoming PR
Yes, understand that after reading... but i wish to start my family soon (buy hdb and then having kids etc)....

waiting to renew REP will be another 1 year, then apply citizenship if can get will be another at least half year, then source for house another half year...

roughly need another 2 years. so i just bite the bullet and go.

if i cannot get it, i will still start my family, then plan again :)
we wish to sink root here; if can i wish can apply my wife as citizen, but since the officer said not possible unless have something big coming (like getting some extra education then salary increase alot then might possible). i just apply myself.

kids education, housing and health care are the main priority to convert to citizenship. My guess is most PR wont convert to Sg citizen... am i right? :)

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:08 am

btw, i guess the reason they ask to resubmit the cpf contribution, tax notice and payslip again in October is actually they holding my application until Aug 2012 (pass my 4th year PR) then see if i still working at the same company then they will process it ....

i guess thats what happened :???:

friendlybossy

Post by friendlybossy » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 11:31 am

probably your case has only been opened now to be reviewed as it was ranked low in the pile and so they just need an updated doc because 5 months have passed. They try to give a result within 6 months. I would not think that the chance is high because salary is too low and they even tell you to wait but you did not. Applying as a couple, they will factor in your wife's situation too, and 1.9K is really tough to get passed

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:52 pm

Thanks for your comment below... i agree my salary is low, but at least i make a progress from low salary of 1800 from 2006 (if i remember correctly)

and btw just to correct, due to my wife salary is low, i applied myself.
i forgot to mention that in on of early assesment, ICA Officer suggest that i apply myself first, once i got it i can submit my wife application (assuming after married for 2 years)...

just to add that we ROM here in singapore.
friendlybossy wrote:probably your case has only been opened now to be reviewed as it was ranked low in the pile and so they just need an updated doc because 5 months have passed. They try to give a result within 6 months. I would not think that the chance is high because salary is too low and they even tell you to wait but you did not. Applying as a couple, they will factor in your wife's situation too, and 1.9K is really tough to get passed

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 12:59 pm

Btw, another reason why i prefer not to wait is that rulez & law in Singapore is very efficient in implementation. As they decide, it will apply straight away....

whether regarding the minimum pay to get citizenship, or how long you need to stay as SG-PR its not fixed.... i guess my salary increment wont beat the increment even for those Work passes :(

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 1:50 pm

I agree with you whole heartedly, everyone is rushing to apply for renewal of ep, pr whenever they can, citizenship is another story because many people are not willing to give up their rights and benefits back home but in singapore everything is changing so fast and laws are different by months or even weeks, today you are eligible for PR, tomorrow you are not even able to get an S pass.. it is sad that our countries are too poor and corrupted so we have to step outside and look for a better future for our family. Yet the opportunities are scarer and scarer each day because of the sheer volume competition.. If only poor countries have low birth rate as Singapore and government are as efficient as their then there will be more chances for us back home and no need to migrate anywhere

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:30 pm

lolipop99 wrote:I agree with you whole heartedly, everyone is rushing to apply for renewal of ep, pr whenever they can, citizenship is another story because many people are not willing to give up their rights and benefits back home but in singapore everything is changing so fast and laws are different by months or even weeks, today you are eligible for PR, tomorrow you are not even able to get an S pass.. it is sad that our countries are too poor and corrupted so we have to step outside and look for a better future for our family. Yet the opportunities are scarer and scarer each day because of the sheer volume competition.. If only poor countries have low birth rate as Singapore and government are as efficient as their then there will be more chances for us back home and no need to migrate anywhere
thats true.... btw... i got my IPA ....

although I'm Happy, but still a mixed feeling inside ... anyway i will take up this offer and continue next step of my life :)

lolipop99
Regular
Regular

Post by lolipop99 » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:54 pm

Yohohoho wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:I agree with you whole heartedly, everyone is rushing to apply for renewal of ep, pr whenever they can, citizenship is another story because many people are not willing to give up their rights and benefits back home but in singapore everything is changing so fast and laws are different by months or even weeks, today you are eligible for PR, tomorrow you are not even able to get an S pass.. it is sad that our countries are too poor and corrupted so we have to step outside and look for a better future for our family. Yet the opportunities are scarer and scarer each day because of the sheer volume competition.. If only poor countries have low birth rate as Singapore and government are as efficient as their then there will be more chances for us back home and no need to migrate anywhere

although I'm Happy, but still a mixed feeling inside ... anyway i will take up this offer and continue next step of my life :)
congratz!! your indon chinese background may have a big weight

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 2:00 pm

Glad for you. Looks like I was spot on. Now you really have a big decision now that the ball is back in your court. 8-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Glad for you. Looks like I was spot on. Now you really have a big decision now that the ball is back in your court. 8-)
Yes.... I always worried salary will be major hurdle here.....
So what are the main criteria here? Really other than race; the rest not so important?

Yohohoho

Post by Yohohoho » Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:05 pm

lolipop99 wrote:
Yohohoho wrote:

congratz!! your indon chinese background may have a big weight
Ya thats the main plus i have..... But still curious how they decide on this... :???: