Singapore Expats Forum

Employment pass not renewed, procedure to appeal

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
lolipop99
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun, 01 Jul 2012

Employment pass not renewed, procedure to appeal

Postby lolipop99 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 2:34 pm

Hi all, it is unfortunate that my cousin EP renewal was rejected! Is it really possible to appeal on the ground that he will have hardship if he losses the job? he is the breadwiner for his whole family and siblings back in his hometown! He was holding a Q pass but was only eligible for S Pass now and since his company has exceeded S pass quota, even an S pass was rejected! As a PR can i sponsor him for 1 year Visit pass to look for another job? Please help, he is very sad now because he was thinking of applying for pr after his pass renewed but now he lost everything!

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Re: Employment pass not renewed, procedure to appeal

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 2:43 pm

lolipop99 wrote:Hi all, it is unfortunate that my cousin EP renewal was rejected! Is it really possible to appeal on the ground that he will have hardship if he losses the job? he is the breadwiner for his whole family and siblings back in his hometown! He was holding a Q pass but was only eligible for S Pass now and since his company has exceeded S pass quota, even an S pass was rejected! As a PR can i sponsor him for 1 year Visit pass to look for another job? Please help, he is very sad now because he was thinking of applying for pr after his pass renewed but now he lost everything!


I don't think you can. My friend (Chinese, Q-pass holder) encounters the same thing as well. A lot of his friends become kanchiong as well because of this.
"Budget Expat"

lolipop99
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun, 01 Jul 2012

Re: Employment pass not renewed, procedure to appeal

Postby lolipop99 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 3:16 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:Hi all, it is unfortunate that my cousin EP renewal was rejected! Is it really possible to appeal on the ground that he will have hardship if he losses the job? he is the breadwiner for his whole family and siblings back in his hometown! He was holding a Q pass but was only eligible for S Pass now and since his company has exceeded S pass quota, even an S pass was rejected! As a PR can i sponsor him for 1 year Visit pass to look for another job? Please help, he is very sad now because he was thinking of applying for pr after his pass renewed but now he lost everything!


I don't think you can. My friend (Chinese, Q-pass holder) encounters the same thing as well. A lot of his friends become kanchiong as well because of this.


it is sad that they are so strict now.. people who have worked here for years, paying tax and building this country suddenly was told to pack and leave just because of some vocal local who always complain but do not know the harsh reality of foreigners in another country, things have never been easy for us as they thought but keep becoming stricter and stricter

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 3:36 pm

Their house, their rules. We can't expect gahmen to see the "biography" of each foreigners in Singapore.

Sounds harsh, but I still wave back to xenophobia :wave:
"Budget Expat"

lolipop99
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun, 01 Jul 2012

Postby lolipop99 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 4:34 pm

is there any way that he can stay back in singapore to look for jobs? all he needs is time!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 4:41 pm

lolipop99 wrote:is there any way that he can stay back in singapore to look for jobs? all he needs is time!


If his Q pass was rejected as well as an S pass, I'm afraid you cousin is gonna need a lot more than time. It ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. He better go home and find a job before he spends all his money flogging a dead horse here.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 4:55 pm

lolipop99 wrote:is there any way that he can stay back in singapore to look for jobs? all he needs is time!


Marry a Singaporean or P2 holders?
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 5:02 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:is there any way that he can stay back in singapore to look for jobs? all he needs is time!


Marry a Singaporean or P2 holders?


Nah he will be under LTSVP or DP which doesn't allow him to work anyway (which defeats the first purpose already!)

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 5:10 pm

the lynx wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
lolipop99 wrote:is there any way that he can stay back in singapore to look for jobs? all he needs is time!


Marry a Singaporean or P2 holders?


Nah he will be under LTSVP or DP which doesn't allow him to work anyway (which defeats the first purpose already!)


Well, at least it will buy him some time to look for another job, and the LTSVP/DP will be "sacrificed" later :P
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 5:21 pm

Won't even get an LTVP as ICA will say, rightly so, it's a marriage of convenience.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 5:25 pm

Bo pian then. Either look for another job with higher salary (at least for the SP), or backup plan in hometown.
"Budget Expat"

vestapo
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue, 25 Sep 2012

Postby vestapo » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 7:59 pm

@lolipop, I find it compelling to offer you my experience after reading this story! your cousin case is very common nowadays and I think many people here in this forum suffered this dilema too. I have been in your cousin situation before, although a bit different, and after looking for all the possible ways and consulting others in the same situation, here is the sure win way to get out of this mess. Go to NUS, NTU, SMU, Singapore Poly, Nanyang Poly, Ngee An Poly etc and search for all the courses such as Masters degrees, post graduate diplomas, technical diploma.. Make sure that you look for the cheapest and easiest to be accept and those with come with a 3 years service obligation will be the best. Look for those that has a lower entry level and not popular among local so you can sure get a slot if you apply. There are some courses that have a start date in January, other in August or May.. so pick the one that is closer or you have to go back home and wait for the admission letter. Make sure you get the one that you sure you can get in and can pay for it. With this offer you can then have a sure 1 or 2 years Student pass, where you can work for 20 hours a week on part time basis without an EP. Then use that time to look for a job and get a good one, once you get the job and your EP approved, you can either continue the course on part time basis or quit the course. I suggest you complete it because after you have a Master or a diploma from NUS, NTU, SMU... you can get a PR invitation letter that will help you gain your PR status and no more headache. It is not a cheap way out though as you have to spend money on tuition fee and also your time to prepare for the documents, but yes this is the light at the end of the tunnel. Many people have suceeded including myself who is a PR now after being retrenced before and was hopeless like your cousin, I wish you and him good luck!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 8:17 pm

That may have happened in the past, but it's not going to fly now. In fact we have another on here as I write who's student pass is being rejected and another rejected in June (these two I know of, how many more is a good question). It only takes one ICA officer to figure out what is happening and to have one idiot brag about it on an open board (especially this one which is watched by MOM - I can attest to that). As soon as that happens, loophole closed. Sometimes people are really stupid about bragging in public. Anyway, the odds are against him.

However, as his S pass was "apparently" rejected on quota, it's possible he can find another company or that company can reapply after hiring a couple locals.

lolipop99
Regular
Regular
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun, 01 Jul 2012

Postby lolipop99 » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:56 pm

thanks a lot vestapo, that is a good way, at least can buy sometime to find another employer

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Sep 2012 6:42 am

Drowning man clutching a straw. A newbie poster and you take him as the gospel. Good Luck. You are going to need it.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest