Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore PR Scenario

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
soulhuntsman

Singapore PR Scenario

Postby soulhuntsman » Sun, 16 Sep 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I m new to the forum here.

This forum seems very informative. Thus, I would like to seek your advises.

I am a Pakistani citizen, been in Singapore since 2006, working as an IT professional(not a big shot) for a local company.

Holds an Spass and IT Diploma(Malaysia) and IT Degree -off shore Aus degree (studied part time while working in Singapore)

My SG PR application is with ICA under PTS scheme since Aug 2011. which itself is a big patience test with such long waiting time. Also, my wife is a Singapore PR (Malaysian Chinese). we have been married for last three years.

Would it be possible if i submit another application for my PR, under spouse sponsorship, will there be any consequences?. Through heart, like every applicant, i am eager and hope to get a positive outcome from ICA. And sooner. but, well it seems a long processing time for my case.

i would like to ask this inquiry to ICA as well but hope to get some advise from you experts first.

Thank you

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Sep 2012 5:47 pm

Been married to a PR for three years? Was she a PR before you got married? If so, no children yet? If not, why not? Probably looks like a marriage of convenience to ICA so maybe they are waiting to see if you are going to start a family here or only got married to get a better chance of getting PR. You don't have to tell them, if she was a PR prior to your application as she would have been on the application anyway, so they would automatically take that into consideration. You biggest problem is that you are from the subcontinent and they may still be hesitant to grant you PR for that reason. You yourself indicated that you are not a big shot. In fact, if you are only a S pass holder, I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting. They've probably been waiting to see if you have upgraded yourself in the past years, e.g. substantial raise to warrant upgrade to a higher pass (e.g., EP Q or P2). Doesn't look too good, from where I'm sitting. But that's only my 2¢ worth.

soulhuntsman

Postby soulhuntsman » Sun, 16 Sep 2012 9:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Been married to a PR for three years? Was she a PR before you got married? If so, no children yet? If not, why not? Probably looks like a marriage of convenience to ICA so maybe they are waiting to see if you are going to start a family here or only got married to get a better chance of getting PR. You don't have to tell them, if she was a PR prior to your application as she would have been on the application anyway, so they would automatically take that into consideration. You biggest problem is that you are from the subcontinent and they may still be hesitant to grant you PR for that reason. You yourself indicated that you are not a big shot. In fact, if you are only a S pass holder, I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting. They've probably been waiting to see if you have upgraded yourself in the past years, e.g. substantial raise to warrant upgrade to a higher pass (e.g., EP Q or P2). Doesn't look too good, from where I'm sitting. But that's only my 2¢ worth.

Thank you for reading and giving your thought.

firstly, i am not sure why ICA would see it as marriage of convenience. like every couple, isn't it better to settle down in life first, have own place to live before raising children. but maybe u coulld be right in ICA's perspective, but for us it is not a marriage of convenience.

My wife used to be on EP when we first met, then an year later she got her PR under the PTS scheme. two years later of being a SG PR, we got married, till present.. As for myself, i came to SG with an IT diploma from Malaysia, then along the way, while working, i studied part time to upgrade myself with an Aus IT degree. also, along the way, i have had numerous promotions( but still not a big shot), increments etc.

I hope i can get the SG PR Soon, coz SG is a beautiful country and i want to settle here with my wife and raise a family. but hurdle i guess is being from subcontinent, i hope ICA sees my application as a positive outcome for me.

cheers!!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:05 pm

I wish you good luck. Seriously.

soulhuntsman

Postby soulhuntsman » Sun, 16 Sep 2012 11:07 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I wish you good luck. Seriously.

Thank you..Luck is infact i need the most....cheers!!. :)

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vishalgupta2 » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:35 pm

soulhuntsman wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Been married to a PR for three years? Was she a PR before you got married? If so, no children yet? If not, why not? Probably looks like a marriage of convenience to ICA so maybe they are waiting to see if you are going to start a family here or only got married to get a better chance of getting PR. You don't have to tell them, if she was a PR prior to your application as she would have been on the application anyway, so they would automatically take that into consideration. You biggest problem is that you are from the subcontinent and they may still be hesitant to grant you PR for that reason. You yourself indicated that you are not a big shot. In fact, if you are only a S pass holder, I don't think I'd hold my breath waiting. They've probably been waiting to see if you have upgraded yourself in the past years, e.g. substantial raise to warrant upgrade to a higher pass (e.g., EP Q or P2). Doesn't look too good, from where I'm sitting. But that's only my 2¢ worth.

firstly, i am not sure why ICA would see it as marriage of convenience. like every couple, isn't it better to settle down in life first, have own place to live before raising children. but maybe u coulld be right in ICA's perspective, but for us it is not a marriage of convenience.

My wife used to be on EP when we first met, then an year later she got her PR under the PTS scheme. two years later of being a SG PR, we got married, till present.. As for myself, i came to SG with an IT diploma from Malaysia, then along the way, while working, i studied part time to upgrade myself with an Aus IT degree. also, along the way, i have had numerous promotions( but still not a big shot), increments etc.

I hope i can get the SG PR Soon, coz SG is a beautiful country and i want to settle here with my wife and raise a family. but hurdle i guess is being from subcontinent, i hope ICA sees my application as a positive outcome for me.

cheers!!

I am sorry to say this, but if you look at the situation holistically from ICA PoV, it looks to me like.
S Pass (Very negative)
Sub continent (Very negative)
Qualifications (Very negative) (Singapore doesn't really recognize online/distance education)
Marriage (Neutral trending towards negative). 3 years No kids + marriage in a different culture sounds very risky.

If you do the math, PR for you looks like a long shot.

Nevertheless, I will be happy to be wrong. Goodluck to you.

soulhuntsman

Postby soulhuntsman » Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:42 pm

vishalgupta2 wrote:
soulhuntsman wrote:

cheers!!

I am sorry to say this, but if you look at the situation holistically from ICA PoV, it looks to me like.
S Pass (Very negative)
Sub continent (Very negative)
Qualifications (Very negative) (Singapore doesn't really recognize online/distance education)
Marriage (Neutral trending towards negative). 3 years No kids + marriage in a different culture sounds very risky.

If you do the math, PR for you looks like a long shot.

Nevertheless, I will be happy to be wrong. Goodluck to you.

Thanks for the info.. But pretty saddened...luck is all i need.. :)

friendlybossy

Postby friendlybossy » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 12:23 am

With a passing rate of about 20K each year, S pass or even Q Pass chance is very slim or almost zero. The only reason why your application is not denied right away is because your wife is a SPR from Malaysia which is a strong factor and some officer may hope to slot you in when a space becomes available. But then, in the situation now, your case seems not competitive enough to make the cut and they cannot hold an application forever so you will most likely receive a response soon. Just be prepared, who know you may be lucky this time even if the chance is very slim

soulhuntsman

Postby soulhuntsman » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 7:49 am

friendlybossy wrote:With a passing rate of about 20K each year, S pass or even Q Pass chance is very slim or almost zero. The only reason why your application is not denied right away is because your wife is a SPR from Malaysia which is a strong factor and some officer may hope to slot you in when a space becomes available. But then, in the situation now, your case seems not competitive enough to make the cut and they cannot hold an application forever so you will most likely receive a response soon. Just be prepared, who know you may be lucky this time even if the chance is very slim

Thanks for the info... appreciate you genuine advise, pretty saddening, but, clear...luck is all i need.. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 8:24 am

soulhuntsman, actually S is slim Q is better. But just to give you some home, I had an S pass holder get PR about a month ago. Been here for several years on a WP. Married a Malaysian Chinese PR girl. A year or so ago we managed to get him an S pass. and he applied for PR several months ago and got it within a month or two. Granted he is Malaysian Chinese but no degree and was on a WP for the first 3 years he was here. (Worked for us the whole time). So, it's still possible. (be advised though, his wife did give birth to a little girl about a year ago, so that may have helped as well.

They are looking at those who are showing definite signs of settling down in Singapore and not just biding their time here. One other thing to note. There are no official "quotas" as insinuated above. We do know that they are targeting those from the subcontinent for trimming, but the only real quotas are in the S and WP Passes from MOM. ICA only has internal directives to follow. We have seen a number of people on here from the subcontinent who have received PR in the past year & a half, but most have been here a long time, or have niche skillsets that the government needs. OR are producing offspring for the next generation/military.

soulhuntsman

Postby soulhuntsman » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 9:09 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:soulhuntsman, actually S is slim Q is better. But just to give you some home, I had an S pass holder get PR about a month ago. Been here for several years on a WP. Married a Malaysian Chinese PR girl. A year or so ago we managed to get him an S pass. and he applied for PR several months ago and got it within a month or two. Granted he is Malaysian Chinese but no degree and was on a WP for the first 3 years he was here. (Worked for us the whole time). So, it's still possible. (be advised though, his wife did give birth to a little girl about a year ago, so that may have helped as well.

They are looking at those who are showing definite signs of settling down in Singapore and not just biding their time here. One other thing to note. There are no official "quotas" as insinuated above. We do know that they are targeting those from the subcontinent for trimming, but the only real quotas are in the S and WP Passes from MOM. ICA only has internal directives to follow. We have seen a number of people on here from the subcontinent who have received PR in the past year & a half, but most have been here a long time, or have niche skillsets that the government needs. OR are producing offspring for the next generation/military.

Thanks for the advise...by reading, i feel atleast there is a hope on the thin thread. I will keep you all posted and updated.

My salary is around 2.2K gross per month. I guess just an ordinary salary! will that enlighten your advises more?

Would meeting an MP of the area can help in PR application? I heard they usually write a letter to assist residents. is it true? or being from subcontinent, also becomes a hurdle in meeting the MP?

I just wish to do everything i can from my end to succeed...coz luck is all i need...:)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:10 pm

Frankly, while you could try the MP letter route, most often that is just an exercise in futility, truth be known, unless you really have something going for you and it's still rejected. Going to you MP before you get rejected is a waste of time. The fact that you ARE from the subcontinent is not going to make it easy even though your wife is Malaysian Chinese. IF you get a rejection, then I would suggest reapplying under the FT scheme. But as I pointed out earlier, her details should have already been submitted with the PTS scheme application. Wait till you get a rejection before doing anything else.

soulhuntsman

Postby soulhuntsman » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:18 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Frankly, while you could try the MP letter route, most often that is just an exercise in futility, truth be known, unless you really have something going for you and it's still rejected. Going to you MP before you get rejected is a waste of time. The fact that you ARE from the subcontinent is not going to make it easy even though your wife is Malaysian Chinese. IF you get a rejection, then I would suggest reapplying under the FT scheme. But as I pointed out earlier, her details should have already been submitted with the PTS scheme application. Wait till you get a rejection before doing anything else.

Thanks again for the valuable advise sundaymorningstaple..i hope all goes well. your advises and experience is really worthy...thank you.

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:32 pm

soulhuntsman wrote:Thanks again for the valuable advise sundaymorningstaple..i hope all goes well. your advises and experience is really worthy...thank you.

Be careful what you wish for

soulhuntsman

Postby soulhuntsman » Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:33 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:
soulhuntsman wrote:Thanks again for the valuable advise sundaymorningstaple..i hope all goes well. your advises and experience is really worthy...thank you.

lol