Singapore Expats

What comes after COE expires ?

Discuss about COE and how you can make a good decision in buying your next vehicle.
chrissi3

What comes after COE expires ?

Post by chrissi3 » Fri, 14 Sep 2012 5:43 pm

Hi,
would like to get me a vespa. There are some on sale but with expiring COE soon, means in a few months.

What does it mean if I buy one? Can I renew the COE after the expiring date without any problems? Where can I find out how much it will be?

Anyone an idea?
Thanks

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Fri, 14 Sep 2012 6:43 pm

You need to find out if the COE is renewable or not. If the previous owner renewed the COE for 5 years then its not renewable, but if he had renewed it for 10 years then it is.

If the COE is renewable, you can buy the scooter and renew the COE before the COE expiry date, quite simple process. But dont keep a vehicle with COE expired, its a big offence.

At the moment COE prices is about 2k for 10 years and 1k for 5 years. You can find all the details on Onemotoring.com.sg

chrissi3

Post by chrissi3 » Fri, 14 Sep 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks for prompt reply.

If I buy it from a private person it is obvious if i can renew or can they cheat?

There is one vespa in our condo i like but it hasnt been moved for the last 5 years, since we moved to this place. Manager doenst know who is the owner and if is stll has COE.

Any way to find the owner ?

Thanks again , it helped a lot

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 1:37 pm

chrissi3 wrote:Thanks for prompt reply.

If I buy it from a private person it is obvious if i can renew or can they cheat?

There is one vespa in our condo i like but it hasnt been moved for the last 5 years, since we moved to this place. Manager doenst know who is the owner and if is stll has COE.

Any way to find the owner ?

Thanks again , it helped a lot
I read somewhere before that there is way to check on onemotoring site whether its renewable or not. But anyways you can call up LTA and give them the vehicle plate number to find out.

Regarding your next question about finding out who the owner is, I dont think LTA will give out that info. That is too personal.

You can visit Singaporebikes.com and there must be a section for Vespa's so you can interact with like minded people and also look at the garage sales and classifieds section for Vespa sales.

Good luck with your hunt! :)

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Sat, 15 Sep 2012 4:12 pm

i love vespas. especially the 2 strokes! PPPPPPPP PUTT PUTT PUTT!

but you need to make sure the scoot is in reasonably good condition. the tropical weather wrecks havoc on the aging innards.

i recommend bringing the ride to a reputable vespa mechanic (there're quite a few in singapore) and ask them to take a look if the thing is worth renewing for another 10 years.

despite having a reputation for being bullet proof, a lot of local vespas have been modified and this is not good for its longevity.

i once had to pay $500 (or was it $800?) just to completely rewire my vespa and redo all the electrics... this is on top of overhauling the top end.

IMO, it's worth paying a few hundred bucks more (they are that cheap i think) for a vespa in good nick than a dirt cheap one in battered condition.

i recommend the vespa shop opposite thomson medical centre - go early and he's less grouchy. usually.