Singapore Expats

Previous tenant taking out loans

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:20 am

offshoreoildude wrote:Yes, specifically my ex wife - a Malay - influenced a Malay cop to ring me up late at night and threaten me. Highly illegal but almost impossible to prove. The OP - should they have a friend in the SPF - could use the same tactic I suppose IF the cop is willing to risk his job.
And you didn't bother to file a complaint on the threat ? oh ho .. You could have jogged down to another police station and filed a report .. and seen some fireworks ..

was it a death threat, btw ?

Do you even know if the guy was a cop ? :)

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:22 am

ecureilx wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:Yes, specifically my ex wife - a Malay - influenced a Malay cop to ring me up late at night and threaten me. Highly illegal but almost impossible to prove. The OP - should they have a friend in the SPF - could use the same tactic I suppose IF the cop is willing to risk his job.
And you didn't bother to file a complaint on the threat ? oh ho .. You could have jogged down to another police station and filed a report .. and seen some fireworks ..

Didn't OSOD already said that it was impossible to prove? How would a trip to the police will help anything?

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:29 am

ecureilx wrote:

'Police Reports' are a joke in Singapore. Seriously just a waste of paper and 90 minutes of your time. It would have been classed as a 'non seizable offense' or similar. PRO - TIP - read up on 'non-seizable offenses' in Singapore - when you want to assault someone - follow the instructions (i.e. leave them with no marks and no hospital time for example) and you will get off scot free. Psych and verbal assault are never acted on in Singapore IME. As I said before - crime is kept low in part by the police NOT recording crimes into their system.

winnoe

Post by winnoe » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 4:15 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:'Police Reports' are a joke in Singapore. Seriously just a waste of paper and 90 minutes of your time. It would have been classed as a 'non seizable offense' or similar. PRO - TIP - read up on 'non-seizable offenses' in Singapore - when you want to assault someone - follow the instructions (i.e. leave them with no marks and no hospital time for example) and you will get off scot free. Psych and verbal assault are never acted on in Singapore IME. As I said before - crime is kept low in part by the police NOT recording crimes into their system.
== Warning, this post is off-topic and could be giving improper advice ==
I am a Singaporean and I approve this message.

Police do bugger all here, but take heed, Singapore has the "Internal Security Act". So you can gripe and complain all you want, but if you say anything remotely slanderous in writing (forums, print, media included) they can haul you up without question or further resourse.

But i will state the facts: Beating someone up, even landing them in hospital AS LONG AS THEY ARE NOT WARDED IN HOSPITAL PAST 72HRS will let you get away scot-free. I know, i was the victim of such assault. The assailant was a local and I was trying to protect our FT from his uncouth verbal abuse and was subsequently attacked. He used his keys like a punch dagger and I received multiple wounds to my face and head.

1.5 days hospital stay
2 visits to clinic to change dressing and remove stitches
$510 in medical costs
5 days lost in work productivity
13 hrs wasted in 4 visits to the police station for reports, complaints.
End Result?
@sshole gets additional swag for getting away with it.

Here's my advice for the women. Singapore's laws are super protective of women ONLY when it comes to rape or attempted rape.

If a man hits you or slaps you, rip your pocket, call the police in a distraught voice (calls to 999 are recorded for evidence) and tell them someone tried to rape you. Then you have a 15% chance of something being done, instead of 0% chance.

== EDIT: Added a disclaimer at the top ==
Last edited by winnoe on Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
~~ I have nothing witty or interesting to add here ~~

winnoe

Re: Previous tenant taking out loans

Post by winnoe » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 4:27 pm

snowqueen wrote:We moved into our apartment at the end of July and haven't stopped receiving mail for the previous tenants. I 'accidentally' opened a letter which turned out to be a new loan agreement.

Since then I have either returned mail or passed it onto the agent so he could track down the previous tenants. It seems that they have taken out several loans under this address since moving out and now we are starting to get demand notices and people coming to the door looking for the previous tenant.

After getting a 10 minute grilling at the door the other night from a debt collector, he told me I need to file a police report. My husband feels I shouldn't have to do this as it's not our problem.

I have asked security at our condo not to send anyone asking for the ex tenant and she informed me that she knows of him and has seen him at our condo recently (2 weeks ago) driving a nice BMW (saw the HP agreement for $93k which I accidentally opened), so there goes my theory that he'd left the country.

Does anyone else have experience of this or have advice on what to do next.

Thanks.
Sorry for getting off topic in my previous post, but yes in case you haven't already, please file a police report.

Sad to say, your SOL and have to suck up that waste of 2hrs of your life to file a police report. Money Lenders and Debt Collectors have a license from the Government to do what they do, hence they will only listen to other Government agencies.

The Singaporean way of working is quite linear. If you don't help him move him to the next item on his checklist, he will be forever stuck on that step of speaking to person at address XXX YYY. Once the police are involved, the Debt Collectors (the crew boss) will report back to his employer (the bank, the money lender) that another course of action will be taken.

Once a person defaults on a loan from the Money Lender/Bank, the loan is considered a "Bad Debt". Bad Debts are handled in a different way in such that there is already an accepted loss.

Debt Collectors hired by the Bank/Money Lender are either contracted or in-house, but in many cases, their profit engine is 10% of the recovered loan amount.

Debt Collectors don't want to waste 2hrs a week visiting you and talking to you as well as they have their quota to meet from their crew boss.

The TLDR version:
You're SOL, report to the police to close the loop.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 9:17 pm

Winnoe - you are wise.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 9:23 pm

Yes, extremely wise advising somebody to report a false rape case.

Winnoe, we have here a rule not to advise to do something illegal. Please do not do it again in your future posts.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 9:40 pm

x9200 wrote:Yes, extremely wise advising somebody to report a false rape case.

Winnoe, we have here a rule not to advise to do something illegal. Please do not do it again in your future posts.

In defense, it can be difficult for a woman to tell when a simple assault will turn into a rape, caution is advised and saying 'I was afraid he might be going to rape me' is not quite the same as false rape claims.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 9:52 pm

If she said something like this just because a debt collector visited her few times it will rise eyebrows of any person who has at least a tidbit of common sense.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 9:59 pm

x9200 wrote:If she said something like this just because a debt collector visited her few times it will rise eyebrows of any person who has at least a tidbit of common sense.
Err - I think she was referring to her direct personal experience of being assaulted and how, now, she feels that she may have been at risk of being sexually assaulted and should have raised it at the time as it would have resulted in more SPF action. She admits she was off topic.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 8:33 am

Even if technically legal I don't like the idea of lying to someone to profit from this. It is the same category you were opposing in the other thread about groping, just lesser magnitude. And it can end up pretty miserably as she would be lying to a police officer. Besides, if the local police is so inert as you suggested they would probably give no *beep* about her stories. They might even advise her to seek professional help if she sees in an average debt collector a potential rapist.

winnoe

Post by winnoe » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:14 am

x9200 wrote:Yes, extremely wise advising somebody to report a false rape case.

Apologies, did not in any way mean to offer/advise members to do anything illegal.

Was merely advising best course of action to get results - working with the law as opposed to working outside the law.

Will watch what I say and how I say it from now, though, thanks for the friendly warning.

winnoe

Post by winnoe » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:27 am

x9200 wrote:Even if technically legal I don't like the idea of lying to someone to profit from this. It is the same category you were opposing in the other thread about groping, just lesser magnitude. And it can end up pretty miserably as she would be lying to a police officer. Besides, if the local police is so inert as you suggested they would probably give no *beep* about her stories. They might even advise her to seek professional help if she sees in an average debt collector a potential rapist.
Hi x9200, didn't mean to start off my forum adventures on the wrong foot.

The whole 'attempted rape thing' was an off-topic response to the SPF's general apathy towards anything that isn't arson/murder/rape/grievious harm.

It has absolutely no bearing or relation to the debt collector incident which I was offering advice in the 2nd post after that.

winnoe

Post by winnoe » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 11:30 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
x9200 wrote:If she said something like this just because a debt collector visited her few times it will rise eyebrows of any person who has at least a tidbit of common sense.
Err - I think she was referring to her direct personal experience of being assaulted and how, now, she feels that she may have been at risk of being sexually assaulted and should have raised it at the time as it would have resulted in more SPF action. She admits she was off topic.
Thanks for that OSOD, but I only wanted to add that i'm a dude :P

BTW, i'm in a industry similar to yours; vessel chartering for small tankers, clean/dirty/chems/softoils.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Thu, 20 Sep 2012 12:12 pm

winnoe wrote:
x9200 wrote:Even if technically legal I don't like the idea of lying to someone to profit from this. It is the same category you were opposing in the other thread about groping, just lesser magnitude. And it can end up pretty miserably as she would be lying to a police officer. Besides, if the local police is so inert as you suggested they would probably give no *beep* about her stories. They might even advise her to seek professional help if she sees in an average debt collector a potential rapist.
Hi x9200, didn't mean to start off my forum adventures on the wrong foot.

The whole 'attempted rape thing' was an off-topic response to the SPF's general apathy towards anything that isn't arson/murder/rape/grievious harm.

It has absolutely no bearing or relation to the debt collector incident which I was offering advice in the 2nd post after that.
Don't worry, you did not start with the wrong foot but what you wrote was too ambiguous at best so you received a warning.