Singapore Expats Forum

30% of EP, S-Pass applicants rejected so far this year

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:20 pm

v4jr4: during the asian economic crisis, Singapore was hit pretty badly and they learnt a lot .. so did Malaysia .. get hit and also learnt some lessons .. !!!!

the lynx wrote:[
I won't say "severely injured" but having Flextronics, Dell and Intel to shift large section of their operations up north in Malaysia is already hurtful enough.

SMEs will bear the brunt the most. Unless they are well prepared, which is less likely from what I've learnt after speaking to few SME owners.


Well, Malaysia has been quitely enticing and succeeding in moving some companies over there, from Shipping to Logistics to related areas ..

With the easing of PR for family of Expats, easy Long Term pass for parents of Expats and more .. Malaysia has become more attractive than Singapore ..

I know one family, who were being offered the chance by their employer to move to Singapore or Malaysia, from UK, and they chose Malaysia, albeit with lesser pay ..

PS: I was trying to get a replacement for a Firewall Appliance - guess where the RMA item flew in from ? Johore .. seems the local warehouse operator shifted to Johore and find it cheaper to ship out of Johore

So do some of the packaging companies

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Mon, 22 Oct 2012 3:44 pm

Update: the appeal for my colleague is rejected. Although he still had 2nd plan (getting a master degree), he hasn't got the invitation for interview. Jialat :-|
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2292
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 11:45 am

Barnsley wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Holy Smoke ........

Another renewal rejection!!

Looks like the powers that be didnt have the foresight to think this might be an issue when we got downsized!!!

The latest one did her education in Singapore so I would assume that its not on educational grounds.


Race and age?


Myanmar and she is around 25


I was a bit presumptious in stating her pass reject last month ...... however I can confirm that this week her pass renewal was rejected. Appeal in progress not very hopeful ..... time to rejig that shift pattern again.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 2:08 pm

ecureilx wrote:v4jr4: during the asian economic crisis, Singapore was hit pretty badly and they learnt a lot .. so did Malaysia .. get hit and also learnt some lessons .. !!!!

the lynx wrote:[
I won't say "severely injured" but having Flextronics, Dell and Intel to shift large section of their operations up north in Malaysia is already hurtful enough.

SMEs will bear the brunt the most. Unless they are well prepared, which is less likely from what I've learnt after speaking to few SME owners.


Well, Malaysia has been quitely enticing and succeeding in moving some companies over there, from Shipping to Logistics to related areas ..

With the easing of PR for family of Expats, easy Long Term pass for parents of Expats and more .. Malaysia has become more attractive than Singapore ..

I know one family, who were being offered the chance by their employer to move to Singapore or Malaysia, from UK, and they chose Malaysia, albeit with lesser pay ..

PS: I was trying to get a replacement for a Firewall Appliance - guess where the RMA item flew in from ? Johore .. seems the local warehouse operator shifted to Johore and find it cheaper to ship out of Johore

So do some of the packaging companies


I visited a factory that makes components for well completions in Nusajaya yesterday. Malaysia Boleh for sure. That place is rocking along.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun, 05 Jun 2011

Postby AndrewV » Thu, 29 Nov 2012 6:02 pm

I know its tough but MOM/ICA should check the ratio of nationalities in a team for which the foreigner is being hired. This is to prevent enclaves forming within companies of certain nationalities when the team lead or manager comes of that nationality. Certain nationalities are not comfortable bossing around locals or unknown nationalities so they slowly perform their own version of ethnic cleansing. soon that team is full of that nationality and the lead/manager can boss them all he wants. The hiring manager needs to come down to ICA to justify why he needs this person

vestapo
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue, 25 Sep 2012

Postby vestapo » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 8:13 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
I visited a factory that makes components for well completions in Nusajaya yesterday. Malaysia Boleh for sure. That place is rocking along.


Wait until you actually lived there and you will regret deeply. No way Malaysia can catch up with Singapore, simply because there are systematic things and structures that are hard to change there. Have you heard of Bumiputra? It is not coincident that Singapore GDP is many times higher than Malaysia and many Malaysian Chinese applying to work or become PR in Singapore; Malaysia is peaceful and beautiful from the outside but it lacks the energy and conditions inside that help industries to prosper there.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 8:39 am

vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
I visited a factory that makes components for well completions in Nusajaya yesterday. Malaysia Boleh for sure. That place is rocking along.


Wait until you actually lived there and you will regret deeply. No way Malaysia can catch up with Singapore, simply because there are systematic things and structures that are hard to change there. Have you heard of Bumiputra? It is not coincident that Singapore GDP is many times higher than Malaysia and many Malaysian Chinese applying to work or become PR in Singapore; Malaysia is peaceful and beautiful from the outside but it lacks the energy and conditions inside that help industries to prosper there.


Go to hell Newbie. What do you think I am? I've been here long enough to to know this shit.
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 9:00 am

AndrewV wrote:I know its tough but MOM/ICA should check the ratio of nationalities in a team for which the foreigner is being hired. This is to prevent enclaves forming within companies of certain nationalities when the team lead or manager comes of that nationality. Certain nationalities are not comfortable bossing around locals or unknown nationalities so they slowly perform their own version of ethnic cleansing. soon that team is full of that nationality and the lead/manager can boss them all he wants. The hiring manager needs to come down to ICA to justify why he needs this person
racist much you bigot?
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 9:08 am

AndrewV wrote:I know its tough but MOM/ICA should check the ratio of nationalities in a team for which the foreigner is being hired. This is to prevent enclaves forming within companies of certain nationalities when the team lead or manager comes of that nationality. Certain nationalities are not comfortable bossing around locals or unknown nationalities so they slowly perform their own version of ethnic cleansing. soon that team is full of that nationality and the lead/manager can boss them all he wants. The hiring manager needs to come down to ICA to justify why he needs this person


It's racist enough that Singaporeans need to state their race in their IC, that HDB needs to check people's races before letting them buy an HDB, that anyone transacting with PA needs to put race in forms and now you also want race to factor in work?

"Oh, I'm sorry. I know you're the most eligible candidate for the job, the one with the best qualifications and the most relevant skills but I can't hire you because we got enough (insert race here) in our team. I have to hire that guy there even though he's as dumb as f***, as lazy as hell and so unqualified, I'm better off hiring a pterodactyl because he will satisfy our quota for (insert another race here)."


Go on. Say that out loud. Do you know how stupid that sounds?

vestapo
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue, 25 Sep 2012

Postby vestapo » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:14 am

nakatago wrote:
AndrewV wrote:I know its tough but MOM/ICA should check the ratio of nationalities in a team for which the foreigner is being hired. This is to prevent enclaves forming within companies of certain nationalities when the team lead or manager comes of that nationality. Certain nationalities are not comfortable bossing around locals or unknown nationalities so they slowly perform their own version of ethnic cleansing. soon that team is full of that nationality and the lead/manager can boss them all he wants. The hiring manager needs to come down to ICA to justify why he needs this person


It's racist enough that Singaporeans need to state their race in their IC, that HDB needs to check people's races before letting them buy an HDB, that anyone transacting with PA needs to put race in forms and now you also want race to factor in work?

"Oh, I'm sorry. I know you're the most eligible candidate for the job, the one with the best qualifications and the most relevant skills but I can't hire you because we got enough (insert race here) in our team. I have to hire that guy there even though he's as dumb as f***, as lazy as hell and so unqualified, I'm better off hiring a pterodactyl because he will satisfy our quota for (insert another race here)."


Go on. Say that out loud. Do you know how stupid that sounds?


Not only race but also country of birth is printed on IC, that's just the way it is here, if you want to be here, just accept that

vestapo
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue, 25 Sep 2012

Postby vestapo » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 11:22 am

offshoreoildude wrote:
vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
I visited a factory that makes components for well completions in Nusajaya yesterday. Malaysia Boleh for sure. That place is rocking along.


Wait until you actually lived there and you will regret deeply. No way Malaysia can catch up with Singapore, simply because there are systematic things and structures that are hard to change there. Have you heard of Bumiputra? It is not coincident that Singapore GDP is many times higher than Malaysia and many Malaysian Chinese applying to work or become PR in Singapore; Malaysia is peaceful and beautiful from the outside but it lacks the energy and conditions inside that help industries to prosper there.


Go to hell Newbie. What do you think I am? I've been here long enough to to know this shit.


Like it or loathe it, you chose to live in Singapore, so do not say such thing as "sinking ship" to describe the country that give you the chance to earn a living here for years. You have been here for a long time and enjoyed so many benefits from this country yet once things are changed in the way that is not comfortable for you, the first thing you think of is to move to another greener pasture! 10% of PR have been here for over 20 years yet never consider to take Singapore citizenship, are you one of them? And stop being arrogant here, using the word sh*t just show what kind of person you are!

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 2:19 pm

vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
I visited a factory that makes components for well completions in Nusajaya yesterday. Malaysia Boleh for sure. That place is rocking along.


Wait until you actually lived there and you will regret deeply. No way Malaysia can catch up with Singapore, simply because there are systematic things and structures that are hard to change there. Have you heard of Bumiputra? It is not coincident that Singapore GDP is many times higher than Malaysia and many Malaysian Chinese applying to work or become PR in Singapore; Malaysia is peaceful and beautiful from the outside but it lacks the energy and conditions inside that help industries to prosper there.


Go to hell Newbie. What do you think I am? I've been here long enough to to know this shit.


Like it or loathe it, you chose to live in Singapore, so do not say such thing as "sinking ship" to describe the country that give you the chance to earn a living here for years. You have been here for a long time and enjoyed so many benefits from this country yet once things are changed in the way that is not comfortable for you, the first thing you think of is to move to another greener pasture! 10% of PR have been here for over 20 years yet never consider to take Singapore citizenship, are you one of them? And stop being arrogant here, using the word sh*t just show what kind of person you are!


I'm not having some newbie tell me about Malaysia. I've been around long enough to know the difference between SG and MY. My point - which you seem to have missed - is that MY appears to be coming up. I was surprised at how much it seems to have moved and I was certainly surprised at the quality of the factory I was in. And Vestapo - - don't you DARE criticize my loyalty to Singapore. You have no idea of how much I've put into this little red dot.
Now I'm called PNGMK

vestapo
Member
Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue, 25 Sep 2012

Postby vestapo » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 7:43 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
I visited a factory that makes components for well completions in Nusajaya yesterday. Malaysia Boleh for sure. That place is rocking along.


Wait until you actually lived there and you will regret deeply. No way Malaysia can catch up with Singapore, simply because there are systematic things and structures that are hard to change there. Have you heard of Bumiputra? It is not coincident that Singapore GDP is many times higher than Malaysia and many Malaysian Chinese applying to work or become PR in Singapore; Malaysia is peaceful and beautiful from the outside but it lacks the energy and conditions inside that help industries to prosper there.


Go to hell Newbie. What do you think I am? I've been here long enough to to know this shit.


Like it or loathe it, you chose to live in Singapore, so do not say such thing as "sinking ship" to describe the country that give you the chance to earn a living here for years. You have been here for a long time and enjoyed so many benefits from this country yet once things are changed in the way that is not comfortable for you, the first thing you think of is to move to another greener pasture! 10% of PR have been here for over 20 years yet never consider to take Singapore citizenship, are you one of them? And stop being arrogant here, using the word sh*t just show what kind of person you are!


I'm not having some newbie tell me about Malaysia. I've been around long enough to know the difference between SG and MY. My point - which you seem to have missed - is that MY appears to be coming up. I was surprised at how much it seems to have moved and I was certainly surprised at the quality of the factory I was in. And Vestapo - - don't you DARE criticize my loyalty to Singapore. You have no idea of how much I've put into this little red dot.



If you are truly lawyal to Singapore, you should have taken the most important step to naturalize and become a Singaporean, not to sit on the fence and enjoy the best of both worlds. If you still want the cake and eat it too, one cannot help but question your motive of getting the PR many years ago as you are also like any other foreigners who treat Singapore as a work dormitory instead of a home.

No matter how much you contributed Singapore, you have also reaped more benefits from it, it is just business after all!

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 7:52 pm

vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
vestapo wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
I visited a factory that makes components for well completions in Nusajaya yesterday. Malaysia Boleh for sure. That place is rocking along.


Wait until you actually lived there and you will regret deeply. No way Malaysia can catch up with Singapore, simply because there are systematic things and structures that are hard to change there. Have you heard of Bumiputra? It is not coincident that Singapore GDP is many times higher than Malaysia and many Malaysian Chinese applying to work or become PR in Singapore; Malaysia is peaceful and beautiful from the outside but it lacks the energy and conditions inside that help industries to prosper there.


Go to hell Newbie. What do you think I am? I've been here long enough to to know this shit.


Like it or loathe it, you chose to live in Singapore, so do not say such thing as "sinking ship" to describe the country that give you the chance to earn a living here for years. You have been here for a long time and enjoyed so many benefits from this country yet once things are changed in the way that is not comfortable for you, the first thing you think of is to move to another greener pasture! 10% of PR have been here for over 20 years yet never consider to take Singapore citizenship, are you one of them? And stop being arrogant here, using the word sh*t just show what kind of person you are!


I'm not having some newbie tell me about Malaysia. I've been around long enough to know the difference between SG and MY. My point - which you seem to have missed - is that MY appears to be coming up. I was surprised at how much it seems to have moved and I was certainly surprised at the quality of the factory I was in. And Vestapo - - don't you DARE criticize my loyalty to Singapore. You have no idea of how much I've put into this little red dot.



If you are truly lawyal to Singapore, you should have taken the most important step to naturalize and become a Singaporean, not to sit on the fence and enjoy the best of both worlds. If you still want the cake and eat it too, one cannot help but question your motive of getting the PR many years ago as you are also like any other foreigners who treat Singapore as a work dormitory instead of a home.

No matter how much you contributed Singapore, you have also reaped more benefits from it, it is just business after all!


You've just insulted super-mod SMS with that comment too, well done genius.

And it's 'loyal' :roll:
I HAVE MASTERS!

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 8:02 pm

vestapo, I also find your attitude towards permanent residents of Singapore insulting in the extreme. Do you have any idea how much we contribute towards 'nation building' (as the gahmen like to describe it) in this country, our home?

Frankly your comments seem to be typical of many Singaporeans these days - you don't know what you want but any problem is automatically the fault of us 'foreigners'. Well maybe we will all be forced out by the increasingly hostile policies and market forces; then you folks will be left to take care of everything. And who will rent all the over-priced condos that Singaporeans have done so well out of? My advice - see below.
Be careful what you wish for


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests