To do or not to do?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
Hcshai

To do or not to do?

Post by Hcshai » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 9:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here.

I was wondering if you guys (and ladies of course) can help me with the following.

A non-Singaporean company wants to hire me to work for them. They offer a salary of 8500SGD gross a month. I havent received the final contract yet, but as far as I know, no other allowance, benefits are included.

I'll be heading to Singapore with my wife and my 1 year old son. We are very simple people so only the occasional hawker centre food, no car, housing outside the central district, do try to save 1000SGD a month on pension etc

Is this a good salary?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 10:03 pm

It's pretty good if you live a reasonably modest life and HDB is ok for you.
There are dozens of threads where different expenses are discussed. Please search for them and you will know what and how much.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 10:31 pm

This may help although it is a little old: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic ... asc-0.html

Actually there are many many more threads. But I thought this type of breakdown may seem to appeal to you.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:16 am

It's enough, and if it isn't you can always go home after having an experience of living in a different country.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:18 am

It's enough until your wee one is old enough for school. If you need to go to International Schools you'll be looking for more.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:18 am

It's more than enough and you could conceivably save up to 3K/mo if you wanted to, depending on how frugal you are. As as noted, if you can live in an HDB (which 90% of all Singaporean do - so it's not that bad).

For the record, HDBs normally have better access to amenities like town centres, MRT stations, Bus stops/interchanges, etc.

As noted, it may be a different story once the child is old enough to go to school, but by then your status should/would have changed somewhat as well, so you have some time there to learn the options available.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

winnoe

Post by winnoe » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 3:54 pm

The average decently educated Singaporean earns about $4000-6000 around the age of 30-35, depending on industry/gender/years of experience.

If i could give you an example;
2-room apartment along East Coast, rental about $3500 (incl agent fees cost)
Taxi to work, 20 working days a month. 20 x $18 x 2 (2 ways) = $720.
Food, assuming you eat out twice a week, and grocery for the rest;
My guess for a 2adults 1 child with diaper needs is about: $500/month in groceries.
$1000/month for dining out 7-8 times a month.
At $8500/month assuming no bonuses, you'd have to pay about $3800 in taxes at end of fiscal year, that's about $330/month.
You will have internet bills ($50/month)
TV bills ($60/month)
Power bills ($300/month)
Phone bills for wife and you ($200/month) - i am assuming company doesn't pay for your phone, and some IDD calls back to homeland.
What you have left is;
about $1840/month surplus.

Adding additional sundry expenses (like if you smoke, smoking is expensive in Singapore, $12/day if you smoke a pack a day) can eat into that.

But you should be able to live a lifestyle that is beyond that of the average Singaporean.
~~ I have nothing witty or interesting to add here ~~

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 5:20 pm

winnoe wrote:
But you should be able to live a lifestyle that is beyond that of the average Singaporean.
Why?

Nobody told you that you had to take a job in Singapore, did they? :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers