Singapore Expats

DP in old passport... Any issue in entering SG?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Ashmi

DP in old passport... Any issue in entering SG?

Post by Ashmi » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 5:03 pm

I am an S-Pass holder. I have applied DP for my wife and got approved. She is in India now. She changed address in her passport and got new passport with new number. But DP got approved with old passport number.

Now she is planning to enter SG with
DP - IPA(which has her old passport number) and
both old & new passports
After entering SG only, planning to update DP with new passport number.

Is there any problem from entering SG?

Please help me
Ashmi

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 7:09 pm

Assuming she brings both passports and her name is exactly the same as the previous passport and any other native country id numbers are the same, there shouldn't be any problem that I could see. They will probably question her, but that should be about all.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Greenry82

Post by Greenry82 » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:41 pm

SMS - will the same applicable to Malaysia Visa also?

means visa valid for nine more months and we renew the passport?

Will the visa still be valid if we bring both passport to Malaysia Visit?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:26 pm

Shouldn't be a problem, but I cannot say for sure as I don't know too much about Malaysian Immigration procedures.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:58 am

Last edited by revhappy on Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 9:10 am

Greenry82 wrote:SMS - will the same applicable to Malaysia Visa also?

Yes, bring both. Depending on your nationality, the immigration will let you through if you bring the original passport with the visa together with the new one.

May I know which passport are you holding? Japanese? Different countries may have different requirements but I can help to check for specific info to be sure.

Edit: Corrected. New visa application is still required if you renew your passport (new passport), even if the visa expiry is still far away.
Last edited by the lynx on Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenry82

Post by Greenry82 » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:15 pm

On India Passport

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 10:47 pm

Greenry82 wrote:On India Passport
Correction:

You need to apply for new visa for your new passport.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 13 Sep 2012 9:55 am

the lynx wrote:
Greenry82 wrote:On India Passport
Correction:

You need to apply for new visa for your new passport.
me having had the embarrassing situation of not having a new visa on the passport, and had to do a U Turn, at JB checkpoint

BTW, in Immigration laws, if you get a new passport, you are expected to transfer the DP to the new Passport- as the old passport is 'cancelled' .. and everything inside there too is cancelled .. technically .. like revhappy says ..

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Post by FaeLLe » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 9:52 am

Greenry82 wrote:SMS - will the same applicable to Malaysia Visa also?

Hello mate,

I was denied entry into Malaysia because of my Visa being on my old passport.

Had to spend two hours at Tuas checkpoint and was only allowed in after the Asst. Director of Immigration Malaysia issued me an entry permit on the spot.

Please note that my passport does not fall in the Visa on Arrival category.

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:11 am

ecureilx wrote: BTW, in Immigration laws, if you get a new passport, you are expected to transfer the DP to the new Passport- as the old passport is 'cancelled' .. and everything inside there too is cancelled .. technically .. like revhappy says ..

I think this is where Singapore has a bit of a benefit......as far as I remember my wife collected a new passport whilst at home for a couple of weeks. She brought the old passport linked to DP and the new one.... we only had to send a letter a few days later to MoM indicating the change of passport number. This is one benefit of not having a label in the passport, or the passport number written on the pass.

In Malaysia I made sure to keep two passports alive to counter this, and other such visa problems.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:02 am

Please note, Malaysia doesnt have Visa on Arrival for anyone. Its true that certain nationalities dont need Visa, for example ASEAN countries. But not needing Visa and VOA are different things.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:22 am

revhappy wrote:Please note, Malaysia doesnt have Visa on Arrival for anyone. Its true that certain nationalities dont need Visa, for example ASEAN countries. But not needing Visa and VOA are different things.
for argument sake .. So if I am an Indonesian, what happens ??

ScoobyDoes: in reality, despite it being idiotic, Immigration officers consider cancelled passports as 'cancelled' and they mostly have no intention to read up the 'past history' .... atleast from my experience .. :D

back in my country, going around without an NIC is invite to the cop-shed .. and a colleague of mine, who lost his NIC, was carrying his expired passport .. we were stopped in a checkpoint, and the officer (Or an REMX) ... insisted that as per law, and expired passport is "EXPIRED" .. so not a legal document anymore ..

I took it upon myself to check up the immigration law and the related stuff - and yes, an expired passport is expired - not recognised anymore ..

That's my 2 cents :)

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:25 am

I dunno the rules for indons,lah. Only thing I know is my Singaporean biker friends who go for petrol runs to boleh land dont need any visa, the red passport can oredy.

My case I need to apply for the Visa from mustafa for 33$ every year, because I carry Indian passport :x

But I know for sure VoA doesnt exist in boleh land, like it does in Indo. BTW I am travelling to Bali this weekend. They are going to get 25USD multiplied by 3 for our family of 3 for a 30 day VoA, although we are going to stay there only for 3 nights. They have abolished the 1 week VOA which costs only 10USD :x

BTW I dont know what is equivalent for boleh land for Indo. My malay friends say Indo is Lagi Lagi Boleh and Singapura is bila lagi boleh :lol:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:49 am

revhappy wrote: I dunno the rules for indons,lah. Only thing I know is my Singaporean biker friends who go for petrol runs to boleh land dont need any visa, the red passport can oredy.

My case I need to apply for the Visa from mustafa for 33$ every year, because I carry Indian passport :x

But I know for sure VoA doesnt exist in boleh land, like it does in Indo. BTW I am travelling to Bali this weekend. They are going to get 25USD multiplied by 3 for our family of 3 for a 30 day VoA, although we are going to stay there only for 3 nights. They have abolished the 1 week VOA which costs only 10USD :x

BTW I dont know what is equivalent for boleh land for Indo. My malay friends say Indo is Lagi Lagi Boleh and Singapura is bila lagi boleh :lol:
I picked Indos, as an example of Asean :D

I was trying to figure out, visa free -> vs Visa on Arrival :D

I looked at my other half's passport and figured it out anyway .. ;)

Oh, you pay 33 $ for MY ? I pay 17 $ :D :D

And I was told, there is a TA at Syed Alwi Road, apparently doing it cheaper - like 12 $ for me