Singapore Expats

Looking for a dog

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
TobyB

Looking for a dog

Post by TobyB » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 10:32 am

Hi everyone. I am looking to buy a dog, in particular a large, short-haired family-friendly breed like a Labrador, Weimaraner etc. Does anybody know of a breeder in Singapore or perhaps a family with puppies on the way? Thanks very much.

egalitarean

Post by egalitarean » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 1:51 am

Most pets here are sold in the commercial petshops, there isn't much of an established market of private breeders... So if the purchase doesn't work out immediately for you, you could also consider a visit to the local animal shelters, like SPCA, for adoption or even to volunteer.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:11 pm

if you are open to adopting, you can also see some pets on the classified section of this forum there are dogs there posted for adoption.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:19 pm

Rehoming a dog is probably the kindest thing you can do. And rehomed pets are excellent pets usually.

One other thing, even if you find one in a pet shop, it's likely they are from a puppy mill and the pedigreed would be substandard in any case. Very few breeders here of any kind. Most come up from Australia I believe. You would be better off buying one from a reputable dealer where you are from and importing the dog here.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 10 Sep 2012 12:44 pm

We considered at one point getting a Labrador puppy and after checking majority of the local places it looked like the best option is to get one from Australia.