Singapore Expats

Business opportunity in singapore

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
nandinibhartia

Post by nandinibhartia » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 8:44 pm

Hi,

I plan to relocate to singapore and have been looking for suitable business opportunity. Can anyone suggest the sector i should look at? I am open for taking up franchisee also.

Nandini

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 9:58 pm

Hat pins? I haven't seen many shops selling those recently.
Be careful what you wish for

leo_ng77

Re: Business opportunity in singapore

Post by leo_ng77 » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 12:29 am

Hi,

The cost of doing business in Singapore is pretty high. Thus you should look at your strength first. Running retail is pretty high risk given the high rental costs and labour cost.

Leo
nandinibhartia wrote:Hi,

I plan to relocate to singapore and have been looking for suitable business opportunity. Can anyone suggest the sector i should look at? I am open for taking up franchisee also.

Nandini

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 6:50 am

Business in Singapore is like a little pile of shit with a million flies buzzing around... unless you're extremely well connected.

nandinibhartia

Post by nandinibhartia » Thu, 06 Sep 2012 4:45 pm

I do understand that financials is pretty steep but what if I look at franchisee option and how safe is it to partner with someone unkown as i have loads of queries looking for business partners?

New_Global_Trader

Post by New_Global_Trader » Fri, 07 Sep 2012 8:39 pm

Nandini
Dear Nandini

As you said , you plan to relocate and you are looking for a business opportunity.

Have you received the permission in the form of a resident visa (Entrepass/EP/DP) for running a business in SG?? If no, have checked the eligibility conditions for entrepreneur pass and employment pass? If yes, which pass you have??

How much you can invest and how much you are ready to loose while trying to run a business. What is your previous line of experience.

Lot many things are there in SG while you consider to start a business in SG , the main thing being SG being a small place with many people trying to run a business here. And some people trying to make a quick buck at your cost. I wont give a dime to the consultants, who want 1k SGD for filing a form which is worth only 10 bucks.

Regards
RG

nandinibhartia

Post by nandinibhartia » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 8:18 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the input.I did enquire about the entre pass but they insist on submitting business plan before applying for the pass.
My previous experience is in apparels and furnishing both in manufacturing and retail but honestly I am not looking at that sector for obvious reasons.
I was keen on taking up franchisee as my brother is a resident there and can be one of the directors but not very sure of the sector and brand to look at.

New_Global_Trader

Post by New_Global_Trader » Sat, 08 Sep 2012 8:33 pm

Dear Nandini

If you made inquiry about the entre pass, you must be aware that a new company must have atleast 50 K SGD in bank account, before the entre pass is finally approved.

How much you are planning to invest ?
Your brother is SPR or citizen?

Regards

nandinibhartia

Post by nandinibhartia » Sun, 09 Sep 2012 2:43 pm

Hi,

Yes, I am aware of 50K norm.My brother is a SPR and though this amount is little on higher side for investment but if the business idea sounds exciting and has the capability of returns I am ok to invest the above.

AnthonyC

Post by AnthonyC » Tue, 09 Oct 2012 4:03 pm

Nandini
Hi Nandini,

I would study the type of Government grants and funding that are available. Tech start ups is a sector the Government is pushing. Though have been some success stories.

Funding tends to be anywhere from $50k upwards to $500k. Some programmes match your investment dollar for dollar. Others are tax breaks on earnings.

Via NRF, incubators can offer you pretty good leverage - somewhere in the order of 7:1 on investment. It's not too difficult to find out the names of these incubators in Singapore.