Singapore Expats Forum

online buyer and seller, how to save bank exchange rate?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

revolta

online buyer and seller, how to save bank exchange rate?

Postby revolta » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 5:17 pm

Hi, I am frequency online buyer, I purchase item in USD, sometime I sold my old item in eBay which are also in USD. The problem is I use sing dollar convert to USD for purchase and USD back to sing dollar for selling, the bank charge me 2 times the exchange rate.
The exchange rate is high, around 2.5 to 3 percent per time( bank rate)

is there any way that I can save the bank exchange rate.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 6:19 pm

Kepp the money as US$, e.g. in a US bank account, or Paypal.

revolta

Postby revolta » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:53 pm

beppi wrote:Kepp the money as US$, e.g. in a US bank account, or Paypal.

Can i open US bank account without going US?
I tried to use my paypal account to purchase, it cannot go through, i think US merchant only accept US paypal account.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 12:07 am

I have a Singapore PayPal account linked to a US Bank account as well as to a local credit card. I've made over 500 transactions in the past 4 years on the US eBay site, both buying & selling using my Singapore account with no problem.

revolta

Postby revolta » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 7:46 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I have a Singapore PayPal account linked to a US Bank account as well as to a local credit card. I've made over 500 transactions in the past 4 years on the US eBay site, both buying & selling using my Singapore account with no problem.

I think US ebay are able to use paypal from all country, since they are from same company.

But singapore paypal account are not able to purchase from some US merchant.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 8:27 pm

I purchase from any merchant. I think your problem is not paypal, but your shipping address. Lots of U.S us online store's online forms will not accept a non-US address for shipping address. Doesn't matter if you are using PayPal or a Credit Card. But paying for anything and using a US address, for instance, Paypal works just fine. Actually I've never had any problem with any merchant who accepts PayPal, because of my Singapore registered PayPal account.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Postby beppi » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:22 pm

The reason is Paypal, together with some merchant's overblown idea of security.
I had various cases where payment from my (Singapore-based) Paypal-account was not accepted for orders to be shipped to non-Singapore addresses. In one extreme case, I could not even pay my domain registration renewal (at Godaddy, one of the big registrars!) because my IP address was Malaysian and didn't match the Paypal account's nationality. Fact was, I was sitting in a Singapore office at the time, but Internet traffic was routed through a server in KL. After several calls to the hotline, they just told me that there is no solution and I should move my domain to a different registrar (which I did - no problems since!).
There is also no way to change a Paypal account's nationality (e.g. if you move). You have to close it and open a new one in the other country.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Sep 2012 11:44 pm

beppi wrote:There is also no way to change a Paypal account's nationality (e.g. if you move). You have to close it and open a new one in the other country.

Yeah, that part sucks!

revolta

Postby revolta » Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:44 pm

probably the merchant i purchase from do not support non us paypal, i use USA shipping address. i am able to buy using credit card, but not paypal.