Singapore Expats

Advice sought on short term visit pass

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ZB123

Advice sought on short term visit pass

Post by ZB123 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 3:24 pm

Hello, I'm seeking the wise advice of this forum for the following query. I am a New Zealand lawyer (25 yo) seeking to join my partner who has recently relocated to Singapore. I do not believe we have been together long enough to qualify as a common law couple (although I am still investigating this option).

I am looking at either (a) working as a foreign lawyer in Singapore or (b) studying an LLM at NUS. Both look like quite good options.

The LLM begins in May 2013 but obviously I would like to visit my partner in Singapore before then. I don't want to get in trouble with the ICA for visiting too often or too long (it sounds like there are several unwritten rules about how long you can be there etc). What does the forum think of the following plan:

(1) 2 October - 12 October: visit Singapore for job interviews (I have two lined up)

(2) Return to Singapore early Nov on 30 day visitors pass and apply to have this extended for 30 days (I understand no sponsor is required for a 30 day extension - is there any reason I wouldn't get this?)

(3) My partner and I have a holiday booked from 30 December to 10 January in SE Asia, and then I am returning to NZ until 1 February to attend a friend's wedding.

(4) Return to Singapore in February on a further 30 visitor's pass but planning trips Hong Kong, China etc throughout this time, so going in and out between then and May when I would be issued with a student's pass. Would there be any issues getting a further extension in this time if I needed one?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 3:47 pm

It's anybody's guess, but your activity sounds reasonably sound. I don't see where you should have any problems with that. Provided which you schooling comes to fruition. If it doesn't, then you have another set of problems as continued trips into Singapore might very well raise an eyebrow or two. But, frankly, I'd say you've given it some thought. I'd go for it. Let's wait to see what some of the other regulars think as well though. I tend to see things in black or white. Not too good with grey! :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ZB123

Post by ZB123 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks for that. What are the main reasons people usually get denied extensions or subsequent STVs? I assume declaring that you are there visiting your partner / investigating study and work options is legitimate?

Would it be worth speaking to ICA and seeing what they say?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 9:30 pm

Initially, yes it's fine, but continued would be construed as "living" there with out proper residency. They would have to question continued trips as you can see all of Singapore in 5 days., the average stay being 3.5 days. So you can see how continued trips with only short intervals would raise eyebrows.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers