Singapore Expats Forum

Going on holidaymaking

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

trixi

Going on holidaymaking

Postby trixi » Sun, 04 Apr 2004 12:22 am

Hi all.

I'm going on a work and travel visa to UK. I haven't got any experience dealing with moving to a totally new environment and what I should look out for. Anyone whom has came over here or formerly from there or has done a similiar working holiday, could you share any tips?

Thanks in advance :wink:
~ Life is like a basket of cherries, you never get all the good ones~

NBB

Postby NBB » Sun, 04 Apr 2004 5:01 am

Bring a coat ;-)

I spent 4 years in London (Uni). I'm a Cauc. but felt descriminated, though not blatantly so, more on a rather nuanced level. Watch out for this; I don't think it's personal. Brits are islanders, after all.

There's quite a large Asian community, most of my friends were from Singapore, Malaysia and India, coz we shared mind-frame, we had more overlap than with the locals. I'm sure you'll be able to hook up with fellow Asians. But the experience will be all the richer if you really mingle, right?

All in all, not too bad a place. Flipping cold though. Makan is awful as well. Forget about Asian take-out, it's the worst ever. Locate a toko, buy your own stuff and prepare your own food. That way you'll live ;-)

Have fun! And, if you can, let us know how ou get on.

NBB

trixi

Postby trixi » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 1:08 am

Thanks NBB :D

I've been to London once, it got me hooked. I love such a comsopolitan city! So I decided to go back despite how the cold weather is wearing me down. I'm not the sort that like to mingle around, or hang out for beers after work. More so, I'd rather head home n do a simple meal. Get on and do lot of travelling when I can afford the time n money.

Someone just advised that I should stay with international students. Is it wiser to stay in london or outside (to save the cost)? Singapore is 3 times cheaper than UK, so its quite a big deal.

puppylove

My experience

Postby puppylove » Mon, 05 Apr 2004 5:42 am

Hi trixi, I came to London 3 years ago and I am still here. I met my husband here and now happily married and in a great job! :D

My best advice to you is to be patient when you first get here. London is huge and things are done differently here so you will need some getting used to. Do you have friends you can stay with when you first get here? Rent is very expensive and until you get a job, it can be hard to budget for it. If you don't have anything particular planned, get to as many temporary work agencies as you can first! They will find you some admin work that will get you by for the time being. The important thing is to get some pounds coming in... And you never know what it could lead to.

As London is so big, it can be hard to know what area to start looking for accommodation... Even in a 'nice' suburb, one street can vary greatly from the next. Why don't you look at www.gumtree.com ? It is a website for all New Zealanders, Australians and South Africans in London and has lots of jobs/accommodation advertised and also advice on living in London. It also has a guide to the areas in London that are popular. I would advise getting in a houseshare, you share a house/flat with a bunch of strangers but it will work out cheaper that way and you get some instant friends. Best of luck! London is a fantastic place for a young person to live in though it can be frustrating as well...

trixi

Postby trixi » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:27 am

:shock: Puppylove, yours sound like a fairytale. So perfect.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a hell of fun over there plus make more friends! Thank you for the advices - noted.