Singapore Expats Forum

My son is slowly failing in the Singaproe school system...

Discuss various schooling options for your children here.
morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 5:14 pm

why don't you try the old fashioned approach first. Talk to him heart to heart and ask whats wrong. im sure he has some reason why he is failing. Maybe its teenage angst, peer pressure, too much stress, girls, depression..it could be anything and not necessarily bout the school system. back in college i used to try to get myself kicked out from school just so my parents would allow me to transfer to another school where my friends were. Unfortunately i didn't get kicked out :lol:

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 10:58 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:My son has been in the Singapore system from 2 yo. When I say he is 'failing' I really should clarify and say that his grades have been on a downward slide for the last few years since P3. I am wondering if anyone knows a good child psych? I need to get in his head somehow and work out what's going on?


Probably some learning disability. Gotta have it verified by expert although I do not have anyone in my mind to recommend for you.


Or perhaps, puberty?


The thought has crossed my mind....


He is 11! What puberty?!

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:18 pm

the lynx wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:
v4jr4 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:My son has been in the Singapore system from 2 yo. When I say he is 'failing' I really should clarify and say that his grades have been on a downward slide for the last few years since P3. I am wondering if anyone knows a good child psych? I need to get in his head somehow and work out what's going on?


Probably some learning disability. Gotta have it verified by expert although I do not have anyone in my mind to recommend for you.


Or perhaps, puberty?


The thought has crossed my mind....


He is 11! What puberty?!


Early puberty (maybe) :D
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 11:18 pm

morenangpinay wrote:why don't you try the old fashioned approach first. Talk to him heart to heart and ask whats wrong. im sure he has some reason why he is failing. Maybe its teenage angst, peer pressure, too much stress, girls, depression..it could be anything and not necessarily bout the school system. back in college i used to try to get myself kicked out from school just so my parents would allow me to transfer to another school where my friends were. Unfortunately i didn't get kicked out :lol:


Five bucks says it is boredom. Classrooms have become so highly structured, course materials so nit pickingly defined, that teachers can't stray afar without running afoul of the bureaucratic authorities.

The kid needs a stimulus... something to make him think... something to jolt him into his own sense of reality and capability. Listen, I've got a 14 year old granddaughter... into all the pre_IB programs as she starts ninth grade... she is BORED... she makes straight A's... and she is bored. Tells you something what your/our/my children get exposed to these days.

User avatar
Zeenit
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed, 02 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore

Postby Zeenit » Tue, 04 Sep 2012 2:25 pm

I know of a family, mother is Singaporean father is British and both boys are born here and have only Singaporean Citizenship and not dual and they both go to UWC because ONE parent is not local.
Zeenit

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 382
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby scarbowl » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 1:37 pm

Zeenit wrote:I know of a family, mother is Singaporean father is British and both boys are born here and have only Singaporean Citizenship and not dual and they both go to UWC because ONE parent is not local.


Still must have permission of MOE.

User avatar
v4jr4
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 887
Joined: Mon, 09 Jul 2012
Location: Chocolate Factory

Postby v4jr4 » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 1:47 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:why don't you try the old fashioned approach first. Talk to him heart to heart and ask whats wrong. im sure he has some reason why he is failing. Maybe its teenage angst, peer pressure, too much stress, girls, depression..it could be anything and not necessarily bout the school system. back in college i used to try to get myself kicked out from school just so my parents would allow me to transfer to another school where my friends were. Unfortunately i didn't get kicked out :lol:


Five bucks says it is boredom. Classrooms have become so highly structured, course materials so nit pickingly defined, that teachers can't stray afar without running afoul of the bureaucratic authorities.

The kid needs a stimulus... something to make him think... something to jolt him into his own sense of reality and capability. Listen, I've got a 14 year old granddaughter... into all the pre_IB programs as she starts ninth grade... she is BORED... she makes straight A's... and she is bored. Tells you something what your/our/my children get exposed to these days.


So, what's the trick? Perhaps, something like an outdoor games or camping?
"Budget Expat"

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10414
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 2:07 pm

v4jr4 wrote:
Strong Eagle wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:why don't you try the old fashioned approach first. Talk to him heart to heart and ask whats wrong. im sure he has some reason why he is failing. Maybe its teenage angst, peer pressure, too much stress, girls, depression..it could be anything and not necessarily bout the school system. back in college i used to try to get myself kicked out from school just so my parents would allow me to transfer to another school where my friends were. Unfortunately i didn't get kicked out :lol:


Five bucks says it is boredom. Classrooms have become so highly structured, course materials so nit pickingly defined, that teachers can't stray afar without running afoul of the bureaucratic authorities.

The kid needs a stimulus... something to make him think... something to jolt him into his own sense of reality and capability. Listen, I've got a 14 year old granddaughter... into all the pre_IB programs as she starts ninth grade... she is BORED... she makes straight A's... and she is bored. Tells you something what your/our/my children get exposed to these days.


So, what's the trick? Perhaps, something like an outdoor games or camping?


The "trick" is teachers capable of challenging each student at the maximum potential, instead of rote spewing of course materials.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4856
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 8:10 pm

I thought I'd post an update. I used to be OSOD.

My son has just pulled in a bunch of A2's and is absolutely enthralled in his secondary schools NPCC (Police Cadets program) - to the point where I think he has a chance of being the first Private promoted to Lance Corporal in his section.

He is doing extra work to make up for some failed subjects last term (Art of all things - how the heck do you fail Art?) and seems to have found himself a bit.

Secondary school certainly has been a better deal for him than P5/P6. All I need to do is find something to fill the gap from 230 to 600 on some week days - any ideas?

He scrapped into this secondary school (express stream) by ONE point in his stupid PSLE - it's walking distance to both his parents house and the teachers seem to be positive and enthusiastic.

Anyways he turned 13 today I thought of sharing the positive news with some of you who supported me.

taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3150
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 8:31 pm

i'm glad things are working out the way they are. it's a never ending battle, especially at that age, so keep your wits about.

have you asked your son what his interests are/could be - and go from there?

or are we talking about academic enrichment-type activities?
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4856
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:29 pm

taxico wrote:i'm glad things are working out the way they are. it's a never ending battle, especially at that age, so keep your wits about.

have you asked your son what his interests are/could be - and go from there?

or are we talking about academic enrichment-type activities?


I'm thinking stuff that burns off lots of energy.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:59 am

Very nice to hear about his progress. Sometimes, they just need time and space to grow into their own and get their footing in the world.

PNGMK
Director
Director
Posts: 4856
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013

Re: My son is slowly failing in the Singaproe school system...

Postby PNGMK » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 9:58 pm

My son was in the NPCC Parade Day Guard of Honor. He's in this group. I was fit to bust with pride (GOH is a competitive thing to get into - he had to work hard). NPCC has completely changed him. He's tall, fit, works hard on his academics and is turning into a leader. Never despair and NEVER criticism NS or the associated school cadet programs (Red Cross, NCC, etc). Singapore does a good job with her teens - those are 13/14/15 year olds marching in precision and standing at attention for 45 minutes. The discipline and dedication is impressive. Next time your fat kid whines about walking to the bus or your kid fails to do up his shoe laces think about why you don't want them to do NS again....
https://www.dropbox.com/pri/get/Public/ ... qTiXJD9dpQ
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

nanana
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Fri, 25 Apr 2008

Re: My son is slowly failing in the Singaproe school system...

Postby nanana » Sun, 17 Apr 2016 10:53 pm

My nephew did the spartan race at age 11. Could be something worth consider cos u definitely need time and commitment to prepare for the race.

jmwhite
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon, 29 Aug 2016

Re: My son is slowly failing in the Singaproe school system...

Postby jmwhite » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 6:01 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:What are my options?

He's 11, Australian born Aussie citizen but also a SC. Currently in a local school and really not doing well. He's inattentive and bored to put it bluntly. We've tried after school tuition and more recently in the last two terms a private tutor (gave up on the tuition centre). He's not stupid but no longer engaged in learning.

He hates Malay (his M/T) and I'm divorced from his mother which adds difficulty. I'm considering enrolling him the Australian school. Any other ideas?


hi. yes, enroling him to an International School would be a definite option. also, based on the information you provided, i think it may be a good idea if studies in a small school or one that offers small class sizes. here's an article on the benefits of small class sizes http://www.methodschools.org/blog/what- ... lass-sizes

feel free to research further on this.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Education & Enrichment Courses for Children”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests